Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Cat Quality on Aftermarket LT Headers

Ok, there are a bunch of threads on best bang for the buck headers, best headers, etc, everywhere on here.

I want my "best bang for the buck LT headers" to come with cats as well.
However I heard a rumour that out of the big 3, "best bang for the buck header" vendors on here, and that would be OBX, TSP, and Stainless Power, whilst all three are great headers, one of them has had more problems in the cat department. True or false?

I'd like this thread to be about, what are the difference in cats, between these three?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
I have the SP with HFC, no issues what so ever, have them for about 6 months, have them tuned as we'll. all if the ones you mentioned are good, it comes down to personal preference.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Camaro Dude

I read somewhere on here (but I'm not going to post up the link and start a vendor war) that the hi flow cats from one brand of headers, were prone to becoming blocked and toast, before their time. Now my thinking was when I read this, he probably wasn't tuned correctly, and most likely, running too rich, which of course is instant death to any catalytic converter.

I just want to be sure I make the BEST choice here before I place my order in a few weeks.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
As long as you're not going to boost your engine, it shouldn't be a problem. I've been here since 09 and I haven't seen overly abundance of failed cat threads, except in the FI section. That's not to say it doesn't happen, just not enough to say X cat is of poor quality.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
greenbadass

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green Camaro
I think the high flow cats I have on my 2011 ss camaro with long tube headers are partially clogged. I noticed a loss of power and a different exhaust sound on startup and during driving.
greenbadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
0 issue with OBX
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #7
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbadass View Post
I think the high flow cats I have on my 2011 ss camaro with long tube headers are partially clogged. I noticed a loss of power and a different exhaust sound on startup and during driving.
What kind of headers do you have?
What device or method did you use to tune your ride post header install?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
We chose a trusted manufacturer for the cats in our systems as this was not something we wanted to build in house.

Eastern Catalytic Converters does all of the high flow cats for our systems.

Eastern Bullet Cat™ Converters provide significantly less backpressure for better flow and higher horsepower and torque.* Available with either 200-cell metallic foil or 400-cell ceramic substrates, Bullet Cat’s fully welded tube construction has no mechanical seams that can leak or open up under stress. Their compact, stainless steel ‘can’ resists corrosion and fits easily in tight applications.

Rated for applications up to 5.9L/6,000 lbs.*
Tested with header applications on engines up to 8.0L/V12

While our headers have a full limited lifetime warranty, the cats are covered for 5 years and 50,000 miles.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
greenbadass

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
What kind of headers do you have?
What device or method did you use to tune your ride post header install?
I have stainless works. Very easy install and it's been six month before the problem occurred. They aren't throwing any lights so it's a trial and error thing. I used the diablo trinity tuner with a jannety racing tune on it.
greenbadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #10
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbadass View Post
I have stainless works. Very easy install and it's been six month before the problem occurred. They aren't throwing any lights so it's a trial and error thing. I used the diablo trinity tuner with a jannety racing tune on it.
You wont throw a CEL for a burned cat if you're tuned. TED would've removed the MIL function from the rear o2's for cat inefficiency in the tune.

Better get under there and unbolt the cats to take a peak. Running your car with plugged cats is not a good idea.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
Ok, there are a bunch of threads on best bang for the buck headers, best headers, etc, everywhere on here.

I want my "best bang for the buck LT headers" to come with cats as well.
However I heard a rumour that out of the big 3, "best bang for the buck header" vendors on here, and that would be OBX, TSP, and Stainless Power, whilst all three are great headers, one of them has had more problems in the cat department. True or false?

I'd like this thread to be about, what are the difference in cats, between these three?
I cant speak for one specific brand, however what I can say is it's very common on applications with forced induction (Supercharger, Turbocharger, even nitrous) to blow the cats internals into smithereens.

So with that said, i doubt its manufacturer specific.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #12
phinsfan64

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Question, I never see Doug Thorley long tube try y ceramic coated headers or exaust mentioned. Pricing seems to be the most competitive around in all areas. Is there a reason I'm missing? Looking for help!
phinsfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:06 AM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinsfan64 View Post
Question, I never see Doug Thorley long tube try y ceramic coated headers or exaust mentioned. Pricing seems to be the most competitive around in all areas. Is there a reason I'm missing? Looking for help!
What does this have to do with the OP thread?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #14
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
no cats= problem solved
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote