Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-22-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
curts11

Drives: 2011 ss rs
My 2011 has solid Cradle bushings!

I went to Haddad Motorsports to have the Pedders Street 1 bushing insert kit installed. When they were on the cradle bushing insert part of the install they discovered that the stock bushings no longer had holes/slots. It looks like GM has made a change mid-stream to the solid bushing. This new bushing is deffinatly stiffer than the old ones. I had Mike remove the stock bushing anyway and replace it with a new Pedders bushing. To make a long story short the cradle bushing inserts in the current Pedders Street 1 package will not work on a late 2011. I've included photos of the GM bushing. Mike and his crew at Haddad did a great job on the install. I'm very satisfied. Really tightened up the car. Hat's off Mike Thanks!!
Attached Images

curts11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
I plan to add full track bushings to my car anyway, late 2011s have a lot of things the earlier cars don't have, that's what we get for being guinea pigs. The ls3 I was supposed to get has Zl1 strut towers with holes for GM strut brace, no drilling required. Funny I should say that because I am now in the process of drilling my holes for my Pfadt brace install.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
OP, did you have the rear end step out that plagues the other bushings or did you upgrade for a different reason? I've got an early 2011 without the strut tower change for the convertible brace. I've got the inserts and was going to install them because of the step out. Would hate to waste my time doing the work to find out that I can't use them.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by curts11 View Post
I went to Haddad Motorsports to have the Pedders Street 1 bushing insert kit installed. When they were on the cradle bushing insert part of the install they discovered that the stock bushings no longer had holes/slots. It looks like GM has made a change mid-stream to the solid bushing. This new bushing is deffinatly stiffer than the old ones. I had Mike remove the stock bushing anyway and replace it with a new Pedders bushing. To make a long story short the cradle bushing inserts in the current Pedders Street 1 package will not work on a late 2011. I've included photos of the GM bushing. Mike and his crew at Haddad did a great job on the install. I'm very satisfied. Really tightened up the car. Hat's off Mike Thanks!!
Wow thats interesting news! Interesting to see the changes that GM implements over the first few years of a vehicle's launch. This is continued proof that GM pays attention to the Camaro and continually develops parts on it all of the time! I think this is the third or fourth chassis change so far. Great news! Enjoy the upgraded parts anyway

-Blair
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Can I tell if mine has these upgraded bushings without taking it all apart? I bough nine about a month ago, it wasn't on the lot very long before I bought it and I do have holes in the strut tower for a brace.
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The new bushes were designed to improve the rear end step out present in the 5th gen. They were first installed in the Verts and are now standard equipment across the line. While there is more rubber in the redesigned bushes there are still significant voids. Adding sub-frame inserts or full replacement bushes is still the single most important foundational modification you can make. At Rodgers Chevrolet Pedders Day about ten days ago Becky had a six with the new bushes and Pedders inserts. Every single person that drove the 5th Gen with the inserts walked away saying the same thing. How can Pedders inserts make such a big difference? The answer is simple. The voids in the redesigned bushes are still huge. Allow me to show you.

In this photo you see the fingers on the inserts that fill very thin voids in 5th Gens built prior to late March.

To fit a Pedders EP1200 Insert Kit on a 5th Gen, use a pair of side cutters to trim the very thin fingers off the inserts. In this photo, we have covered the fingers with white paper. As you can see, what remains is 95% of the material to fill the voids in the revised OE bushes.

If you have an air hammer, you can have the lower plates out in a matter of seconds.

Btw, I wonder where GM got the idea to fill in at least part of the void in the sub-frame bushes

Last edited by JusticePete; 01-04-2012 at 10:48 AM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Can I tell if mine has these upgraded bushings without taking it all apart? I bough nine about a month ago, it wasn't on the lot very long before I bought it and I do have holes in the strut tower for a brace.
Check your build date. If it was built before March 2011 you have the older style more open bush.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
OP, did you have the rear end step out that plagues the other bushings or did you upgrade for a different reason? I've got an early 2011 without the strut tower change for the convertible brace. I've got the inserts and was going to install them because of the step out. Would hate to waste my time doing the work to find out that I can't use them.
Nomad,

You will not be wasting your time. The inserts will fit both the original and updated OE sub-frame bushes. With the new OE sub-frame bushes you do need to trim your Pedders EP1200 inserts. Use a pair of side cutters to remove the thinnest part of the Pedders red inserts so what you install looks like this.

Without the white paper of course

If you have an air hammer, you can have the plates out in a matter of seconds.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
curts11

Drives: 2011 ss rs
My 2011 was built in January. It has the new bushings
curts11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
JusticePete

Quote:
My 2011 was built in January. It has the new bushings
GM has not made public the date the change was made. The earliest cars we have seen with the revised bushes, aside from all the Verts) was March. The more information we get from C5 members, the more accurate our change date will be. Thank you for posting.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The new bushes were designed to improve the rear end step out present in the 5th gen. They were first installed in the Verts and are now standard equipment across the line. While there is more rubber in the redesigned bushes there are still significant voids. Adding sub-frame inserts or full replacement bushes is still the single most important foundational modification you can make. At Rodgers Chevrolet Pedders Day about ten days ago Becky had a six with the new bushes and Pedders inserts. Every single person that drove the 5th Gen with the inserts walked away saying the same thing. How can Pedders inserts make such a big difference? The answer is simple. The voids in the redesigned bushes are still huge. Allow me to show you.

In this photo you see the fingers on the inserts that fill very thin voids in 5th Gens built prior to late March.

To fit a Pedders EP1200 Insert Kit on a 5th Gen, use a pair of side cutters to trim the very thin fingers off the inserts. In this photo, we have covered the fingers with white paper. As you can see, what remains in a lot of material to fill the voids that remain in the revised OE bushes.

I apologise for not posting this information weeks ago. We have been preparing for a move to our new headquarters and the actual move for the last two months. Now that we are in our new custom built facility I'll have more time to spend on Camaro5.

Btw, I wonder where GM got the idea to fill in at least part of the void in the sub-frame bushes
I've never been great at "find what's different between these two pictures", but I really am not seeing it here. Did you by chance upload the same pic twice, or do I need an eye doctor appointment?

Edit: Looking at the image #s you posted the same pic twice.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #12
Nomad

Drives: '11 2SS/RS RJT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Nomad,

You will not be wasting your time. The inserts will fit both the original and updated OE sub-frame bushes. With the new OE sub-frame bushes you do need to trim your Pedders EP1200 inserts. Use a pair of side cutters to remove the thinnest part of the Pedders red inserts so what you install looks like this.

Without the white paper of course

If you have an air hammer, you can have the plates out in a matter of seconds.

Thanks Pete. I have an early build 2011 (August 2010). Good to know there is a solution. My Camaro is my DD and I will be doing the install over a weekend, so I would have probably panicked if I had found that the inserts didn't fit.
Vararam CAI, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Separate Clutch Fluid Reservoir, Ghost Armor Full Protection Package, Chromed Turn Signal Bulbs, RPI Stealth Splash Guards, Skip Shift Eliminator, Defenderworx Chrome Bowtie Inserts, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Camaro Decal Store CGM Hood Spears with "376ci" custom text, Billet Depot/Drake Underhood Polished Caps, CGM Lug Nut Decals, Pedders Front Radius Rod Inserts, JacFab Front License Plate Bracket
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
RichJ.
Shop Owner

Drives: 1 ton silverado
Mike and his crew always do a great job.
RichJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
Quote:

Good to hear and we're happy that your happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ. View Post
Mike and his crew always do a great job.
Thank You
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote