Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 02-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #15
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonGPF View Post
As with anything - money can make it fast. But stock to stock, it's a driver's race from a dig. On a roll, I say 1LE easily.

Dropspeed - I guess I should revise my statement to "The EVO is one of the hardest vehicles to launch right with the stock clutch." Reason I'd say that is because it's so soft out of the box because they don't want drivers destroying the $9000 transmission and would rather watch a $1000 clutch pack burn up. If you let it out too quick, you bog thanks to AWD and sticky tires. If you let it out too slow, you smoke the clutch. Very picky about being at the right RPM to match it. It's gotta be on that sweet spot and then magical things happen.

On a roll stock to stock I'd give it over to the Camaro though. EVO gets such a good 1/4 because of the massive launch. You've gotta tune it and open the exhaust, and cam it to really make it scream.

There is no such thing as an Evo VIII or IX with a stock clutch anymore.....They are like unicorns, people believe they exist, but none can be found!

(This is where you tell me you have a still have a stock clutch...)
Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #16
NJ Drive
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 1SS 1LE white
I came to the right room. I also have owned an '06 Evo IX RS and a '10 X SE as well as a couple STIs. Do you guys favor the 1LE over your past Evos? This is a big leap for me as I've only had imports for the last 20 years.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #17
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Drive View Post
I came to the right room. I also have owned an '06 Evo IX RS and a '10 X SE as well as a couple STIs. Do you guys favor the 1LE over your past Evos? This is a big leap for me as I've only had imports for the last 20 years.
I am still torn..I liked the size, AWD and explosiveness of the EVO (modified). I also like the cost of 17" tires better... They are very different cars and I also came from a world of tracking small cars (Integra Type R, 94 Civic Hatch/ITR swap , old 911, SRT4, CRX, 2 other Integra) that the biggest thing to get over is the size and weight.

The Camaro just feels better out of the box, but it is heavier.

I ran NASA TTS in the EVO and at race weight: 3400lbs with driver making 355whp on 255 Nitto NT01 tires and coilovers, hawk blue pads, big swaybar, ect. I ran Grattan Raceway in 1:27.1 which was a track record for the class for 3 years.... Last summer I ran a 1:31.x bone stock (with Motul Brake fluid) and less than 1000 miles of seat time in the 1LE. I ran later in the summer still on the stock tires and pads with Pedders springs and some brake ducts to a 1:30.x

I am sure if I tossed some race tires on the car, added a Torsen rear diff, intake header and tune I could outpace my old Evo with ease.

-Matt
Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #18
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Quote:
I've not owned an EVO before but have driven several STIs and EVOs. I think of them as a car for the younger crowd. I dont mean that in a disrespectful way at all. A good friend of mine owns an STI sedan that is FAST. I like the feel of the turbo and there is no arguing the launching advantage but my 1LE just feels like a much better car. It handles like nothing I've ever driven before. To each his own I suppose but I'm confident that you'll not regret your decision to come over to the cubicly superior side
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #19
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
There is no such thing as an Evo VIII or IX with a stock clutch anymore.....They are like unicorns, people believe they exist, but none can be found!

(This is where you tell me you have a still have a stock clutch...)
LOL

No, I probably changed out clutches as frequent as tires and brake pads, easily.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #20
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE801 View Post
I've not owned an EVO before but have driven several STIs and EVOs. I think of them as a car for the younger crowd. I dont mean that in a disrespectful way at all. A good friend of mine owns an STI sedan that is FAST. I like the feel of the turbo and there is no arguing the launching advantage but my 1LE just feels like a much better car. It handles like nothing I've ever driven before. To each his own I suppose but I'm confident that you'll not regret your decision to come over to the cubicly superior side
It dawned on me today, but I have to say you're absolutely right. I owned two matching WRXs in 04, and bought my EVO in 06. After test driving the 1LE today that I nearly purchased, I went and picked up a new STI to test drive for a quick sanity check. What registered to me is that I've outgrown it in a way. It drives just fine, and it felt natural to me coming from that kind of car before. But, the 1LE was just simply much more refined IMO. A 1LE is for a slightly more mature driver honestly. The appeal with STIs and EVOs is how easy it is for anyone to drive them to their limits, and their out of the box quickness. Beyond that, it really appeals to a certain demographic. I hated driving my EVO at night anywhere because it was like driving a giant glowing bullseye.
DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
It dawned on me today, but I have to say you're absolutely right. I owned two matching WRXs in 04, and bought my EVO in 06. After test driving the 1LE today that I nearly purchased, I went and picked up a new STI to test drive for a quick sanity check. What registered to me is that I've outgrown it in a way. It drives just fine, and it felt natural to me coming from that kind of car before. But, the 1LE was just simply much more refined IMO. A 1LE is for a slightly more mature driver honestly. The appeal with STIs and EVOs is how easy it is for anyone to drive them to their limits, and their out of the box quickness. Beyond that, it really appeals to a certain demographic. I hated driving my EVO at night anywhere because it was like driving a giant glowing bullseye.

Agreed. I respect the EVO and the STi and have many friend that have them.....However they do carry a stigma that I have outgrown. Ken Block is cool but not my hero. I don't have sideways "shocker" stickers on my car. I own too many belts and don't have nor would I look good in any "skinny" jeans.

-Matt
Old 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #22
joey0480

Drives: 2013 Evo X
Quote:
I miss my ss....but with the winter we have had in nj my evo with snow tires has been a savior. With two kids and the lovely winters we get around here...it was a choice I made for a dd. I agree with others that it is a boy racer type of car to some...but doesn't bother me....I just have the exhaust as close to sounding stock as possible. Only thing that gains me some attention is the aftermarket fmic.

SOLD:Team L99
ADM Race Intake and Scoop
Vmax Ported TB
Borla-S axlebacks
ARH 1 7/8 Long Tubes and Hi Flo Cats
160 Thermostat
Pfdat front and rear sways and endlinks
Gold Pearl Powdercoated calipers
Gloss black CFD strut covers
GM gill stripes
******** 12" Stealth Kicker Package
joey0480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #23
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Do not sleep on Evo's they get nasty with little mods and not much money.
Stock Evo viii are much more than than a wrx . My 2003 was a 13.5@101 car stock 1st time out with 1.8-1.9 60's
The stock clutch still was holding@13,000 miles (had to much $ and got a twin plate) with over 50 launches on it taking me in to the 11s cutting 1.6-1.7's

I dare to say that the Evo viii and Evo ix are better overall performance cars that our SS' s
Old 02-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #24
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
a shop here by chicago has these Evos running in the low 9s (one i think went 8.90)

tinted windows so you cant see the seats removed/roll bar. Giant turbo, cams, great tuning, e85 and on drag radials.

They fly.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
a shop here by chicago has these Evos running in the low 9s (one i think went 8.90)

tinted windows so you cant see the seats removed/roll bar. Giant turbo, cams, great tuning, e85 and on drag radials.

They fly.
That would be AMS

In 2008 they ran 8.42 @ 168.....car has also run 228MPH in the mile.

They have built numerous 9 second street cars running around the world.

Matt
Old 02-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #26
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
That would be AMS

In 2008 they ran 8.42 @ 168.....car has also run 228MPH in the mile.

They have built numerous 9 second street cars running around the world.

Matt

actually its a smaller shop than AMS - boostin or something like that. Their talon has went 8.17 or close to it.
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #27
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Agreed. I respect the EVO and the STi and have many friend that have them.....However they do carry a stigma that I have outgrown. Ken Block is cool but not my hero. I don't have sideways "shocker" stickers on my car. I own too many belts and don't have nor would I look good in any "skinny" jeans.

-Matt
Also very good points lol
1LE801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #28
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
No male looks good in skinny jeans, EVER!
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote