Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
9" kit vs driveshaft and axles?

I'm approaching that rwhp range where I think I need to consider beefing up my drive train. I've done a bunch of reading on this topic, so please don't give me the "search is your friend" line. But, when I ask questions, I'm never quite sure when someone is trying to sell me something I don't need (overkill for my car) OR whether I am being safe and prudent with my choices. So, I need some help deciding on this from you kind smart folks who actually drive Camaros and aren't necessarily trying to sell me something.

Here is where I'm at:
L99 (LS3 conversion) very close to 600 rwhp with a maggie (3.4" pulley), cam, stall, and headers.
suspension - differential and cradle bushings, coilovers, railing arms, sway bars, etc.
(A complete list of mods is in the first post of my build thread - just click on my sig).

I use my car mostly for street driving, but I plan to drag race it occasionally and perhaps try autocross. I just put some drag radials (Nitto 555-R) on it this week.

Now, I'm trying to decide if I should install a drive shaft and axles OR get a 9" kit with pumpkin.
(Or should I leave it as is and wait for something to break before doing anything else?)

I've heard good and bad things about a 9" kit. Some say it's a good idea, but others say it's overkill for my rwhp and it would rob power. So, perhaps new axles and a driveshaft might be a better use of funds.

I'm posting this because I'm hoping those of you who know more about 9" kits, axles, and driveshafts will be able to shed some light based on your experiences.

I've heard that one piece driveshafts can add vibration. Is that your experience?

I don't have unlimited funds, but I want to try to avoid obvious problem areas and I want to learn about this.

Thanks for any and all helpful suggestions and info.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Well, if you can afford the 9" kit, I'm pretty sure that comes with new axles and a new driveshaft. So, like I said....if you can afford it....do it!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Well, if you can afford the 9" kit, I'm pretty sure that comes with new axles and a new driveshaft. So, like I said....if you can afford it....do it!!!
Yes, it does come with axles and driveshaft. But at a pretty high cost. Is it really worth that added cost at my rwhp level?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
EsteSS

Drives: 2010 SS
If you go ahead and pay that cost, unless you get crazy with power you should never have to worry about it again. I'm assuming your talking about Driveshaft Shops Pumpkin upgrade. I've looked at it too. As the guy said above...if you can afford it do it.
EsteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsteSS View Post
If you go ahead and pay that cost, unless you get crazy with power you should never have to worry about it again. I'm assuming your talking about Driveshaft Shops Pumpkin upgrade. I've looked at it too. As the guy said above...if you can afford it do it.
I am thinking about the GForce 9" kit.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
blazzin1

Well, if you buy just the upgraded axles and driveshaft now....and then sometime down the road, you decide you need to upgrade your rear diff., then your stuck with these upgrades that you can no longer use (you would have to sell them). Why not avoid the hassle, and again...if you can afford it, upgrade to the 9" kit now, then you can upgrade your rear gears at the same time too!!! For an A6, you can upgrade to 3.73's or maybe even 3.90's if they are available for the 9". It will be like a totally new car. And yes, both kits from either the DSS or GForce are bad-@$$!!! Personally, if I had the cash, I would be looking at the Lingenfelter 9.5" diff.,....now that is beyond bad-@$$!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Well, if you buy just the upgraded axles and driveshaft now....and then sometime down the road, you decide you need to upgrade your rear diff., then your stuck with these upgrades that you can no longer use (you would have to sell them). Why not avoid the hassle, and again...if you can afford it, upgrade to the 9" kit now, then you can upgrade your rear gears at the same time too!!! For an A6, you can upgrade to 3.73's or maybe even 3.90's if they are available for the 9". It will be like a totally new car. And yes, both kits from either the DSS or GForce are bad-@$$!!! Personally, if I had the cash, I would be looking at the Lingenfelter 9.5" diff.,....now that is beyond bad-@$$!!!
Yeah, that was my fear... buy axles and driveshaft... stock pumpkin breaks... then what? Then, I would have to buy the whole 9" kit anyway.

On the other hand, if I'm pretty sure not to break the stock pumpkin with only a measly 600 rwhp, why waste the money? And, my understanding is that there is significant loss in rwhp when using a 9" kit.

I'm not familiar with Lingenfelter's 9/5" kit. I'm off to do some searching. Thanks!

Edit: found it. http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C61
Old 08-04-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
I can't tell you what to do, but I'll tell you what I'm planning when I get to that level of hp. I hear the stock rear end and axles hold up with an auto at your power level. So with that being said, I was gonna wait till something breaks and then upgrade. The only precautionary thing I was gonna do is a girdle on the rear end and Jannety sell some kit for the posi unit. I wont ever do a 9" conversion because they soak up too power.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
blazzin1

600HP is nothing to scof at, that is a lot of power!!! Especially, considering "back in the day", it was quite a milestone to reach 300HP or 350HP, and those were the bad-@$$ muscle cars!!! That being said, I have not really heard of anyone trashing their OEM gears, but a gear upgrade is one of the BEST "bang-for-your-buck" upgrades you can do. I would just stay away from the Richmond gears....too many issues in my opinion. From what I've read on here, I think the 9" conversions do soak up about 20-24 RWHP, but I think that's pretty negligible considering the benefits....you won't "feel" that loss, especially with the gear upgrade!!! Here's some good reading (link below) about the Lingenfelter unit. It's really expensive, but at this point, I don't think you will find anything better.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119574
Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
I have over 100 passes and have around same hp levels, I just purchased the 1 piece driveshaft and that's all (for precaution)....stock everything else (I do have sways)....do you know of anyone that has broken an axel with an A6? I don't remember reading about it....M6 cars, plenty, but I can't remember A6 cars....I even think that getting stronger bolts with our current 2 piece drivshaft may still work.....so, why go to the expense? unless you are planning on pushing a lot more....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #11
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post
I have over 100 passes and have around same hp levels, I just purchased the 1 piece driveshaft and that's all (for precaution)....stock everything else (I do have sways)....do you know of anyone that has broken an axel with an A6? I don't remember reading about it....M6 cars, plenty, but I can't remember A6 cars....I even think that getting stronger bolts with our current 2 piece drivshaft may still work.....so, why go to the expense? unless you are planning on pushing a lot more....
I have not heard of anyone with an A6 breaking a drive shaft. I do have a friend who did break his tranny.

I sort of feel like the dilema is this: at my current rwhp, everything will probably be fine. However, I say to my builder, what if I want more? He says, well, you'll need to upgrade the rear end, tranny, forge the engine...

So, where to start? If I forge the engine and put an OD cog drive on the maggie and add nitrous, then the stock rear end and tranny probably won't take it.

Right now, I'm just at the research stage of things. I'm not quite ready to commit to adding more rwhp. I just had the cam installed this spring and I haven't quite gotten to the point where my driving skills have exceeded that of my car's power. But, that point will come eventually and I have a feeling I'll want more.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
What's the car run in the 1/4? What stall are you running?
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
What's the car run in the 1/4? What stall are you running?
I just got my DRs this week. I havent' taken it to the track yet. I expect it to be in the 11s.

I have Precision Industries Vigilante stall.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
I would do 1 Piece Driveshaft with upgraded half axles.

should be perfect for that power range.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote