Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-18-2011, 02:25 PM   #15
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Drives: Orange 2010 Camaro 2RS
not sure what droning is exactley i will take more videos
Old 03-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
Sasquatch
C5 THAKILYETI

Drives: 2LTRS
OH SHIT. THAT'S A NICE NOTE!
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Droning is a low humming resonance inside the cabin from certain exhaust frequencies....imagine if you had a couple subwoofers in the trunk constantly humming a low bass note. Almost every exhaust has a certain amount of drone, and I'd guess yours does. It usually occurs on the highway driving at constant speeds around 70 MPH or where your tach is around 2,000 rpm. "Lugging" the car up inclines can bring it out more as well. If there is a small to moderate amount of drone it can be a nice compliment to your car, but a bad amount of it will drive most people crazy.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #18
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
outside sounds good but in cabin when real high rpms not so sure
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #19
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Best I can take right now can't get under the car due to the spot it's parked in and camera zoom
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
KMPrenger

Finally got to listen....it isn't bad....has a nice rumble! I'm sure it sounds good in the lower RPMs and cruising, but it would definitely be too loud for my tastes lol. I can't imagine what it would be like with LTs on it....that would be crazy. I think I'd really love to see what DT shorties would do to this setup.

Just a small thing, but dang put some tips on that thing! lol (just not a fan of the small tips....unless thats the key!? lol

Keep updating your setup with more info here, and I'll definitely add it to the V6 exhaust sticky as I've basically avoided adding any muffler deletes to it thus far.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #21
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Do you know how much some mean looking tips cost ? They donn't have the bowtie ones right ?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #22
CRChevy
MARO MAN

and how much are headers ? Do they void the powertrain warranty? And would my muffler shop be able to install them?
Old 03-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #23
KMPrenger

Tips can vary a lot depending on what you get...for instance My 4" magnaflow doubled walled tips go for about $65 a piece, but you can find others. As far as recommending any, theres so many out there you'd just have to do some research. Might be easiest to just talk to your exhaust installer and have him find you some tips. In my opinion 4" tips looks the best on the V6, but 3.5" probably wouldn't be bad either. If you look through my pictures of my car on my profile, you will find one showing what my tips look like...give you an idea of what 4" tips with thick walls look like.

Headers is another thing that varies, although theres really only about 5 to 6 choices between shorty headers and long tube headers. No they will not directly void your warranty, but long tube header will cause an emmisions Check Engine Light to appear (doesn't hurt the car) and can only be stopped by having Trifecta tuning do a tune on your car. If the dealership knows your car is tuned, your warranty will go out the window. Otherwise, if you can live with it, you could just leave the check engine light on.

Shorty headers (JBA and Doug Thorley are the two most popular) provide decent low and midrange power and generally enhance the note of the exhaust by adding a bit more rumble and lowering the tone a bit. Cost is around 3 to 4 hundred bucks I believe. But they are harder to install as each requires cutting the stock down tube and welding. My fav here would be Doug Thorleys.

Long tubes (most popular are ARH and BBK) provide great power all across the RPM range...most people see a 15 to 20 horse improvement at peak RPM. They also usually cost twice as much....the ARHs can be as much as $1,200. BBKs are more around 600 to 800. Both great quality. They can even turn a mild exhaust into a very wild exhaust. Usually adds a lot of rumble, and on "not so tame" exhausts they tend to add a fair amount of rasp. I'd be afraid with your system it would be unbareable loud and raspy. My fav long tube are the BBKs.

Long tubes, while wouldn't say easy to install, are much easier for the average person to install because they simply replace your stock existing down pipe and both cats on each side. Most of these come with one HFC (high flow cat) for each side to help with emisions. Many, if not most exhaust shops can install both types of headers, but you'd definitely want to talk with them about it first.

Anyways, theres your lesson number one on headers! lol.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #24
KMPrenger

Example: Car with cat-back and JBA headers:

Same car with BBK headers installed instead of the JBAs:
Old 03-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #25
willyd

Drives: Victory Red 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LTRS
I'm good with my long tube and can't wait for my gibson axle back...it doesn't sound as bad as I thought it would...but I would get fined out the ass here in Cali with a car that loud
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #26
CRChevy
MARO MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Tips can vary a lot depending on what you get...for instance My 4" magnaflow doubled walled tips go for about $65 a piece, but you can find others. As far as recommending any, theres so many out there you'd just have to do some research. Might be easiest to just talk to your exhaust installer and have him find you some tips. In my opinion 4" tips looks the best on the V6, but 3.5" probably wouldn't be bad either. If you look through my pictures of my car on my profile, you will find one showing what my tips look like...give you an idea of what 4" tips with thick walls look like.

Headers is another thing that varies, although theres really only about 5 to 6 choices between shorty headers and long tube headers. No they will not directly void your warranty, but long tube header will cause an emmisions Check Engine Light to appear (doesn't hurt the car) and can only be stopped by having Trifecta tuning do a tune on your car. If the dealership knows your car is tuned, your warranty will go out the window. Otherwise, if you can live with it, you could just leave the check engine light on.

Shorty headers (JBA and Doug Thorley are the two most popular) provide decent low and midrange power and generally enhance the note of the exhaust by adding a bit more rumble and lowering the tone a bit. Cost is around 3 to 4 hundred bucks I believe. But they are harder to install as each requires cutting the stock down tube and welding. My fav here would be Doug Thorleys.

Long tubes (most popular are ARH and BBK) provide great power all across the RPM range...most people see a 15 to 20 horse improvement at peak RPM. They also usually cost twice as much....the ARHs can be as much as $1,200. BBKs are more around 600 to 800. Both great quality. They can even turn a mild exhaust into a very wild exhaust. Usually adds a lot of rumble, and on "not so tame" exhausts they tend to add a fair amount of rasp. I'd be afraid with your system it would be unbareable loud and raspy. My fav long tube are the BBKs.

Long tubes, while wouldn't say easy to install, are much easier for the average person to install because they simply replace your stock existing down pipe and both cats on each side. Most of these come with one HFC (high flow cat) for each side to help with emisions. Many, if not most exhaust shops can install both types of headers, but you'd definitely want to talk with them about it first.

Anyways, theres your lesson number one on headers! lol.
thanks a lot for all of your help throughout my topics . I am goinna go for the magnaflow tips thanks man ill post pics up monday - tuesday.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #27
CRChevy
MARO MAN

now that i put a pic of the setup can someone tell me exactley what they did?
Old 03-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #28
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
They cut the exhaust just before the muffler and replaced it with a piece of exhaust tubing.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote