Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

Old 08-17-2014, 01:23 PM   #9829
NO2SNO

Drives: 2012 1LT Convertible FUN in the SUN
Happy Birthday! 2 years old on 18Aug

I just realized that on Monday my baby turns 2. She has 31K miles and is as much fun to drive as when I took her home.
Attached Images

NO2SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #9830
mrmertz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Well thanks all! Very good suggestions! And yes Gus, Maine is nice too but just not in the cards right now. Honestly, besides hard or soft water the worst water I ever drank that was on a city water system had to be in the Burlington, Vermont area. Absolutely foul tasting...but off subject...

Went ahead with the Meguiar's claybar smooth finish kit, then applied one coat of Mequiar's NXT wax. Seemed to take f-o-r-e-v-e-r.

It STILL has areas where I can see the stupid water sediment sitting there...but didn't notice until later as it is now sealed under the NXT! I did buy their water spot remover which really (I think) amounts to a very fine rubbing compound, so might think about using that too in areas that are still affected, then going back over with the NXT to even things out.

Regardless, learned a lesson the hard way. If I ever wash a car again in will be at night in the driveway with the outside lights on, possibly too looking into an inline water softening system at the hose bib.

Thanks again good people.
mrmertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #9831
mrmertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO2SNO View Post
Move to Maine!! Never any water spots. Greetings from Vacation Land.

Hello all - only a few Gen5s in the area. AZ is the place to be for any serious car buffs. I still follow this site and miss you guys.

Be good and if you can't be good be careful!
Gus
Wow. Real grass and greenery...and doesn't require miles of piping and timers in order for it to grow either! Jealous. Oh, Camaro still looking good too from the pic!
Old 08-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #9832
mrmertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile Man View Post
Look into this system if your washing your car at home. Should be able to let it dry with no water spot as all of the solids have been removed. This is my next purchase after I install my Maggie next week.
The TDS in out water is real bad so washes might be a little less that advertised. I'm getting the Dual Bed Deionizer Standard Model. I'm spending about $60 to $100 every time I get my car detailed. Should pay for itself in 5 or so washes.

http://www.portablewaterdi.com/deion...FQsyaQodcY4A0Q
Very interesting...and quite a few options available too. Hmmm....
Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 PM   #9833
Bradley
Gray Eagle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM, 1994 Camaro
They also sell a RV water filter at Walmart that will filter out some of the stuff in the water. It helps keep out some of the elements in the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmertz View Post
Okay, the glass black ZL-1 now officially looks like shi*t.

The sun came around as I was drying it off from a wash in the driveway here and now the entire car has raised, white outlines of water droplets all over it from the sh*t water we have here aka "etched on mineralization".

Nothing, and I mean nothing, so far will remove any of it. Beside having the car stripped and repainted is there anything that will remove mineralization on a clear coat? I hate the idea of rubbing compound over the entire car in which it also removes a layer of clear coat or whatever the hell GM uses nowadays, maybe a claybar? I doubt it. You can feel every individual ridge of that white sh*t with your fingernail it's so bad.

I'll thank everyone up from and in the meantime I'll research online if there is anything other than a paint job that will fix it back to what it was.

Ordered - 14 Aug 2009 Born - 4 Nov 2009 Delivered - 17 Dec 2009
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #9834
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
They also sell a RV water filter at Walmart that will filter out some of the stuff in the water. It helps keep out some of the elements in the water.
I tired an inline RV water filter (from wally world) and still had the water spotting. I think it helped a little but still spots.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #9835
Bodih
I Got My Orange Crush

Drives: it like I stoles it...
I've used the RV filter for a few years. I think it helps. I also wash my car inside the garage so it's out of the sun. I park it in the center of the two-car bay and use a low pressure nozzle. Cleans my garage floor at the same time.

My love is in league with the freeway. Its passion will ride, as the cities fly by, and the tail-lights dissolve in the coming of night. And the questions in thousands take flight ~Robert Plant - Big Log~
Bodih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #9836
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmertz View Post
Very interesting...and quite a few options available too. Hmmm....
It's also a good idea to buy the new material for the refill kit and not the refurbished stuff.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #9837
Transformed
Roxy

Drives: 2012 Red Camaro 2SS RS
The other driver turned right in front of me at Coachline and Silverbell - I could barely brake and my Lola took a pretty hard hit (so did I - OWCH!). I will say - these cars are made tough - the entire drivers area was intact and the airbags kept me pretty much in one place.

Now - do you guys think it's going to be totaled out? The mechanic at Watson told my daughter this morning that he's very rarely seen all five airbags go off (there are 5?) and that alone is a $15k cost. That seems crazy. I guess at this point I want her to be totaled - as much as that hurts me.
Attached Images

Transformed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #9838
Bradley
Gray Eagle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM, 1994 Camaro
Ouch... Glad to hear you are ok,

I was told once that if an air bag goes off it is considered totaled. I don't know for sure.

Ordered - 14 Aug 2009 Born - 4 Nov 2009 Delivered - 17 Dec 2009
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:07 PM   #9839
FLYNNZL1
Wicked ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM
Send a message via ICQ to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via MSN to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Yahoo to FLYNNZL1 Send a message via Skype™ to FLYNNZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transformed View Post
The other driver turned right in front of me at Coachline and Silverbell - I could barely brake and my Lola took a pretty hard hit (so did I - OWCH!). I will say - these cars are made tough - the entire drivers area was intact and the airbags kept me pretty much in one place.

Now - do you guys think it's going to be totaled out? The mechanic at Watson told my daughter this morning that he's very rarely seen all five airbags go off (there are 5?) and that alone is a $15k cost. That seems crazy. I guess at this point I want her to be totaled - as much as that hurts me.
I hope your ok Shane. That really stinks, I would say yes, it will probably be totaled. If the airbags cost $15k, that is 3/4 the value of the car I think. You really took good care of her, she did not deserve this :(, nor did you.
2017 Hyper Blue Metallic ZL1 A10/CF Hood Insert/PDR/NAV MODS: Rotofab CAI/V-MAX CNC Ported Throttle Body/Clear Bra/LED Reverse Light/Rock Guards/Lift Pads/Darkened Tail Lights/Ghost-Tinted LED Side Markers/Darkened 3rd Brake Light
FLYNNZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #9840
mrmertz

Whoa. To paraphrase here "I feel your pain."

But the MOST important thing is that nobody was seriously injured and we live in a day and age where automotive engineers have learned the importance of crumple zones, airbags and such, let alone people now tend to use their seatbelts far more than when I grew up in the '60's and '70's!

Being the year and model, I wouldn't be suprised if the underwriter declared it a total loss - cheaper for them a lot of times though I'm no insurance adjuster and haven't seen the car.

The flip side is that every cloud has a silver lining...if it is indeed declared a loss perhaps sooner rather than later that newer SS you were keeping from Lola could enter the picture.

Hmm?

Is the car currently down on Watson's lot?
Old 08-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #9841
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Happy that every one is okay. Hope it all works out for you.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #9842
mrmertz

I don't know...$5,000. per bag seems awfully steep to me. But if the airbags were even half that with these crumple zones you could have damage transmitted beyond what is readily apparent to just you or I.

Camaro front crash test at 1,000 FPS...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrwBC93RuJs