Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 04-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
StormtrooperRS

Drives: White 2012 RS
Angry Catch can filling up daily! Helppppp

I have a 12 rs wij a turbo kit and I have the elite engineering catch can installed on my drivers side connected to the valve cover pcv valve. Normal driving is fine but when I run it hard it will fill up the catch can in a day. I have no idea why this is happening and it's very frustrating and concerning. I don't know if it's hooked up wrong or what the deal is. Any info would be awesome.
StormtrooperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Doesn't the Elite can mount on the passenger side? Mine does, maybe you can post a picture of where it's mounted. It will fill up more quickly if driven hard, but the whole can in a day seems excessive. How long are you driving it hard for, and how hard?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
StormtrooperRS

I only mounted it on the drivers side because that's where I had a lot of oil coming out of the drivers side pcv valve. I don't drive it hard for long just random bursts throughot a day like passing slow drivers on open roads at WOT and that's about it.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Our cars don't have a pcv valve, there is a restricted orifice on the rear of the passenger side valve cover. The rear of the drivers side valve cover has a wide open orifice, that's where the engine gets the fresh air from in stock form. If your using that as your dirty side then that's prob why your can is filling up so fast. You probably need to have your can hooked to the passenger valve cover.

I'm turbo too and we cant have the fresh air come from the intake tube like from the factory. I'm using the rear of my driver side valve cover for my oil return from the scavenge pump. And the rear of my passenger side valve cover is where my catch can is hooked up. Them I'm using a oil cap with a line plumbed to it running to the air filter on one of my turbos for the fresh air in.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
Our cars don't have a pcv valve, there is a restricted orifice on the rear of the passenger side valve cover. The rear of the drivers side valve cover has a wide open orifice, that's where the engine gets the fresh air from in stock form. If your using that as your dirty side then that's prob why your can is filling up so fast. You probably need to have your can hooked to the passenger valve cover.

I'm turbo too and we cant have the fresh air come from the intake tube like from the factory. I'm using the rear of my driver side valve cover for my oil return from the scavenge pump. And the rear of my passenger side valve cover is where my catch can is hooked up. Them I'm using a oil cap with a line plumbed to it running to the air filter on one of my turbos for the fresh air in.
This is what I was thinking, the can is probably installed improperly. We need a picture
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
StormtrooperRS

That makes sense from what your saying I was only goin by what someone told me was the best way to install it so it may be wrong. I will take a picture when I get off work. The only problem with the way your explaining to set it up is that I have an sts single turbo kit so there is already a line running to my oil cap from the scavenge pump which is my oil return so how would I go about changing that.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
I agree, you should run the can on the passenger side. I leave the clean side open with a large valve cover air filter from the autoparts store, a very small amount of unmetered air may get through but I haven't noticed but will have to clean the filter every once or twice a year as it slowly soaks with oil.

However you are still consuming a lot of oil, are you running the stock sts setup with the stock sized turbo? If so, the sts single design on our car is very restrictive and inefficient and creates a lot of back pressure which can effect the pcv system. I ran a similar setup to the sts and even with a much larger turbo than sts provides, my catch can would fill every 1-2 weeks with my rear single setup but when switching and running my twin rear and later twin mid mount, I would see very little oil in the catch can with both setups and much better stable vacuum at idle.

I think it has to do with how the stock sts kit uses the factory H-pipe to cross over both banks to a very small turbo while the wastegate sits on the other end of the exhaust which makes the entire system very restrictive. If you were to merge both sides that may help. I will be testing a design next week that merges both sides and uses a wastegate/quick spool valve to see if I can get the rear single setup to run as smooth as it did with the twins. (if your location is accurate i will actually be building at a house/garage a few miles from Ft. Eustis)

Either or, I hope you are able to fix the issue!
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #8
StormtrooperRS

So here's the picture of the setup. I was told running 2 cans would be optimal but clearly I was told wrong by what I'm hearing. The elite can on the right attaches to the rear driver side valve cover then the outlet runs to the sts switch valve which is then ran to the intake piping. The can on the left is attached to the rear passenger valve cover and then ran to the intake manifold. The can on the right is the one filling up with oil.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
Pt_killa

I think we all thought you were only running the elite can but you're running it in addition to the sts pcv dirty side can, so it should be fine were it is. I'm assuming the sts switch valve closes off everything going to the intake manifold under boost and routes the clean and dirty side lines to the vacuum at the turbo intake? If so, the pcv seems to be setup correctly, is the switch valve working correctly?
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Old 04-09-2015, 09:59 AM   #10
StormtrooperRS

Well then that still doesn't explain why it's filling it up so fast. Yes the line from the dirty side routes straight to the factory inlet on the intake manifold itself and the line coming from the elite can on the right is routed to the switch valve which is then routed to the intake pipe right at the elbow before the TB. Yes the switch valve is working I've checked it.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
How long have you had the setup? Has it been filling up quickly all along, or just recently. When you drain it do you let it sit in the bottle over night so you can tell how much is oil, water and gasoline?

Nice engine bay, BTW!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
StormtrooperRS

I haven't had it very long and it's been doing it the whole time. I have not let it sit overnight with it full but I can do that and see what it looks like. Either way I know it shouldn't be filling up like it is and it's very aggravating. The other guy mentioned having the oil return line going into the clean side valve cover from the scavenge pump and running the line from the oil cap to fresh air. Is that something I should try?
Old 04-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
Pt_killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormtrooperRS View Post
Well then that still doesn't explain why it's filling it up so fast. Yes the line from the dirty side routes straight to the factory inlet on the intake manifold itself and the line coming from the elite can on the right is routed to the switch valve which is then routed to the intake pipe right at the elbow before the TB. Yes the switch valve is working I've checked it.
Is there a check valve between the pass side and intake manifold? If not you will pressurize the crankcase under boost which will push oil out of the clean side.

On my current setup I just run a large open filter off of the drivers side valve cover and return oil to the fill cap without issue.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
StormtrooperRS

I just remembered I changed the hose on the dirty side when I out the catch can in and didn't replace the check valve with it. I just went out and put the checkvalve back in line and will take it for a spin shortly and let you know if it still does it or not.