Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-16-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
The REAL Ten Best Engines

That's right, as discussed in another thread Ward's got it wrong....luckily I am here to set it right. Here we go. (in no particular order)

GM's 6.2L LS3: I had to extend a little forgiveness here since the G8 GXP knocks down some terrible fuel economy numbers, but the manual transmission Camaro helps this mill redeem itself there and IMO this engine is currently a better all around piece than the HEMI. Sounds great, goes great.

Ford's 3.5L Ecoboost: Yeah, I know, this is a 2010 piece and Wards hasn't even gotten to 2010 MY engines yet but I'm throwing it in anyway. I can't think of another engine that offers this kind of horsepower and such a ridiculous amount of low end torque yet still knocks down an epa rated 25mpg highway in a 4400lb car with awd. Like a V8 without the extra two cylinder....seriously.

BMW's 4.4L GTDi V8: 400hp and 450lb-ft of torque with peak torque starting below 2000rpm? Who knew the people to bring back the age of big block power would be the Germans? Did I mention this thing knocks down virtually the same mpg's as the old 4.4L naturally aspirated V8 it replaces? Smooth like butter too.

Audi's supercharged 3.2L V6: Over 300hp and 300lb-ft of torque in an awd car and she still nets 27mpg highway. I can't wait to drive one of these.

BMW's 3.0L GTDI I6: Seemingly not quite as good as the Audi's unit, but close enough to make this list. Feels like a V8 and doesn't sound bad either.

BMW's 3.0L Turbo Diesel: Okay, so I agree with Wards on the two turbo Bimmer six cylinder engines. Another need to drive moment, heck I haven't even seen one yet, but it makes the list because of all the diesels on the US market this one shows the way forward.

Nissan/Infiniti 3.7L V6: GM HF V6 puts up a good fight, but the Nissan makes notably greater power for virtually identical fuel economy in a comparable car, and the Nissan does it without DI. To be fair the GM unit doesn't sound like a blender at WOT, but that isn't enough to give the GM unit the win in my book.

GM LNF GTDi 2.0L: Truly a great engine in search of a home. Frankly, if GM really wanted to set the world on it's proverbial ear this should have been the standard engine in every Cobalt with SS suspension to match. No, I'm not kidding.

Honda J35 3.5L V6: 265hp and 29mpg highway, without DI. That's impressive no matter how you slice it.

Honda K24 I4: 190hp and 31mpg in a car the size of the Honda Accord, and it's typical Honda smooth.

Much anticipated 2011 model year engines...

3.7L Ford Mustang/MKS V6
5.0L Coyote V8
6.7L Scorpion diesel

Hey, I am a Ford guy and right now I only have one engine on my own ten best list so I have to give 2011 a mention.

Feel free to rattle off your own ten best list.

Last edited by syr74; 09-16-2009 at 05:05 AM.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Not bad, Though I would have added GM's LS7 and LS9. I know of no other N.A. car than the Z06 that have over 500 hp and still achieves 24 mpg. LS9 is just freakin awesome. Just my opinon though. If one criteria is Hp, Torque, Reliability/Durability, Compact in size, Light weight, Fuel economy, simplicity for mods and AFFORDABLE. The best motor in my opinon is Gm's LS engines, they are just freakin awesome. Though I do aggree that Ford's ecoboost is Damn impressive, I wounder when ford will realise they should put SHO's powertrain into the Ford Fusion and give it a manuel transmission option. hopefully a SVt fusion would weigh 700lbs lighter than the sho.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Not bad, Though I would have added GM's LS7 and LS9. I know of no other N.A. car than the Z06 that have over 500 hp and still achieves 24 mpg. LS9 is just freakin awesome. Just my opinon though. If one criteria is Hp, Torque, Reliability/Durability, Compact in size, Light weight, Fuel economy, simplicity for mods and AFFORDABLE. The best motor in my opinon is Gm's LS engines, they are just freakin awesome. Though I do aggree that Ford's ecoboost is Damn impressive, I wounder when ford will realise they should put SHO's powertrain into the Ford Fusion and give it a manuel transmission option. hopefully a SVt fusion would weigh 700lbs lighter than the sho.
Not to mention that the Fusion, IMHO, shames the Taurus in the looks department...everytime I see it I always tell myself "I really want a new Fusion"
Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
Quote:
yes because nobody has ever done a dohc di turbo'd motor... never been done before never ever
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPOAJ View Post
yes because nobody has ever done a dohc di turbo'd motor... never been done before never ever
doesn't make it any less impressive
Old 09-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
MCPOAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
doesn't make it any less impressive
chill i'm kidding sure it's impressive but it's nothing that hasn't been done before it's just got a cool name
Old 09-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Not a bad list, just a few thoughts. I think value is a key point here (although Ward's doesn't necessarily agree). Obviously, if you put a lot of expensive technology in an engine, it is easier to make more power in a better overall package. You say the Nissan motor is more impressive than the GM 3.6L LLT, but look at how much more you have to pay to get one. About 6-8k more, and that is in a car with 2 less seats, or a FWD maxima (which is still around 30k). And all the European engines you mentioned, they are certainly good products, but what do you have to spend to get one?

The fuel economy part has a lot to do with the vehicle and gearing, not only the engine, so that comparison is a little off. The LS3 is the G8 GXP is not less efficient, the car is just setup for a different experience, and mileage suffers for it.

As for the Cobalt, that makes no business sense, as very few people shop for that range of cars based on hp, so no way would it generate enough new sales. They would either have to raise the price significantly or take a big loss on each car, and I don't think many Cobalt buyers would know the difference. Not only that, but anybody who wants a Corolla would buy one anyway.

One last thought, when you look at engines, such as the 190 hp I4 honda, peak numbers don't really tell the whole story. It feels more like about 90 hp. The same way the GM 304hp LLT can't keep up with a 300hp mustang, it is power under the curve that matters most, not just the advertising number attained.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #8
gotpball44
Boost Is Your Friend

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to gotpball44
you forgot 2jzgte from the supras. Probably one of the best motors ever made. If you dont agree on that i will make you agree lol
gotpball44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
so no love for the 3.6 LLT?
Old 09-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
syr74
Account Suspended

Drives: Thunderbird
Quote:
Not bad, Though I would have added GM's LS7 and LS9. I know of no other N.A. car than the Z06 that have over 500 hp and still achieves 24 mpg. LS9 is just freakin awesome. Just my opinon though. If one criteria is Hp, Torque, Reliability/Durability, Compact in size, Light weight, Fuel economy, simplicity for mods and AFFORDABLE. The best motor in my opinon is Gm's LS engines, they are just freakin awesome. Though I do agree that Ford's ecoboost is Damn impressive, I wounder when ford will realise they should put SHO's powertrain into the Ford Fusion and give it a manuel transmission option. hopefully a SVt fusion would weigh 700lbs lighter than the sho.
I considered the LS7, LS9, and the GT500's supercharged 5.4L and ruled them all out for different reason. Just my opinion here of course, but any list is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayhawk
Not a bad list, just a few thoughts. I think value is a key point here (although Ward's doesn't necessarily agree). Obviously, if you put a lot of expensive technology in an engine, it is easier to make more power in a better overall package. You say the Nissan motor is more impressive than the GM 3.6L LLT, but look at how much more you have to pay to get one. About 6-8k more, and that is in a car with 2 less seats, or a FWD maxima (which is still around 30k).
I thought about that too, but the only really lopsided comparison between the two sixes is Camaro vs. Z car, and the Camaro is the only GM vehicles which currently offers the DI 3.6L and doesn't ask an arm and a leg for it. Altima compares nicely to Malibu, etc., so I made my decision based on the motors themselves. The Nissan piece was a tough call for me because it really does sound terrible, but in the end I thought it was the most impressive piece.

Quote:
As for the Cobalt, that makes no business sense, as very few people shop for that range of cars based on hp, so no way would it generate enough new sales. They would either have to raise the price significantly or take a big loss on each car, and I don't think many Cobalt buyers would know the difference. Not only that, but anybody who wants a Corolla would buy one anyway.
I worked in the auto industry for a long time and my money says GM could have built ever Cobalt as an SS, with a few deviations in standard equipment, and still spend less money building the thing than Honda spends building the Civic. Cobalt is an older design and was engineered to be inexpensive from the outset. One engine offering would drastically simplify the production line, further reducing costs, and the relatively massive rebates the Cobalt effectively came out of the starting gate with told you that GM priced this car in the old school, domestic manner of 'ask way too much for it and then rebate it back down to reality'.

I agree that nobody looking for a Corolla is going to buy a Cobalt, but then I would argue that none of them will buy the Cruze either. The best strategy for GM and Ford is to appeal to those folks not enamored with the status quo IMO.

Quote:
One last thought, when you look at engines, such as the 190 hp I4 honda, peak numbers don't really tell the whole story. It feels more like about 90 hp. The same way the GM 304hp LLT can't keep up with a 300hp mustang, it is power under the curve that matters most, not just the advertising number attained.
I agree, and I think my list reflects engines which work well in real world situations, in fact I chose most of my engines with real world driveability in mind.
syr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #11
MCPOAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpball44 View Post
you forgot 2jzgte from the supras. Probably one of the best motors ever made. If you dont agree on that i will make you agree lol
sorry rb25det and rb26dett>2jzgte
Old 09-16-2009, 07:40 PM   #12
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
New or old or both? Chevy 350 is probably the most famous engine.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
MCPOAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
New or old or both? Chevy 350 is probably the most famous engine.
i must agree with this the 350 is probably the most well known motor and one of the toughest and one that has pushed it's way through time taking various new advances in technology
Old 09-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by syr74 View Post

I worked in the auto industry for a long time and my money says GM could have built ever Cobalt as an SS, with a few deviations in standard equipment, and still spend less money building the thing than Honda spends building the Civic. Cobalt is an older design and was engineered to be inexpensive from the outset. One engine offering would drastically simplify the production line, further reducing costs, and the relatively massive rebates the Cobalt effectively came out of the starting gate with told you that GM priced this car in the old school, domestic manner of 'ask way too much for it and then rebate it back down to reality'.

I agree that nobody looking for a Corolla is going to buy a Cobalt, but then I would argue that none of them will buy the Cruze either. The best strategy for GM and Ford is to appeal to those folks not enamored with the status quo IMO.
That may be true, but you have to wonder...If all Cobalts WERE SS's, regardless if they were cheaper to make, would they really profit as much and sell as many as they do? It seems one of the biggest audiences of Cobalts are high school kids or freshly graduated. I'm not sure exactly what the prices of insurance are like for a Cobalt SS, but I've heard they're insane. If insurance is as bad as I've heard, I'm sure a lot of those high school kids wouldn't be able to afford one anymore, dropping sales drastically. The ones that could still afford one would probably be spoiled rich kids that treat their car with little respect and have little respect for anyone else on the road. Let's face it, teenagers are maniacs behind the wheel of a semi-powerful or more car, not to mention everyone else since they'd be so easy to come by, and insurance claims would go up, raising the price for everyone, allowing even less young people (the majority target from what I've seen) to get one. But that's just my opinion.
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote