Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-28-2022, 02:41 PM   #15
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I am also surprised dynosteve took the job. He really doesn't like to remote anything over .600 lift. I can say that before I got a cam dynosteve gave my car a superior tune. Once I went with a high lift cam, I had to go out of state for my tune. Fuel smell is common. Do you have a wideband? What's your a/f ratio look like at start up?
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:00 PM   #16
5150WS6

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
FlyingBanana--I'll have to get it hooked back up to the laptop and see. I haven't really paid that much attention since I'm self admittedly clueless on a lot of this stuff so I can find out and I'll let you know.
5150WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:11 PM   #17
5150WS6

Maybe some of you guys can give me some advice. I found another tuner, Ted Jannetty with Janetty Racing. Sound like he's done a crapload of tunes. He's said that he's positive he can provide a great tune. But there's a 10 tune max and it's $625.

I know I need to get it to a dyno and have someone properly tune it. But initially and realistically that's just not going to happen. Being I'm in the chair, it's tough to work out a trailer set up that I can get the car on and get it to a tuner. Let alone a tuner is at best 14 hours away easy. So trying to figure that out with my stupid 50+ hour work week just sucks.

Now eventually when the car is good, I'll take it to SoCal or wherever and find a tuner that can get it on the dyno and squeeze all my hp out. For now, I just want a running car. It's been 6 months of it mostly just sitting and random tunes from Steve. I started a thread about tuners in Oregon a few days ago and there's not been one remark on it. Oregon is not the place for nice cars apparently. LOL. Damn hippies.

I'm going to try to still reach out to Steve and get a refund as I'm still at square one as far as how the cars running and now that I haven't had a response in 2 months I'm done waiting. I've tried to be patient with all he's had going on in his personal life. I've got nothing bad to say about the guy......but I want my GD car running!

So for now, I need to find a tuner that can at least get it running, not smelling like a drunken tanker capt ran into the back of my car spilling fuel and getting it to start reliably every time. Once that's done I can always get the car dialed in down the road. I'd love to take it back down to San Diego/LA and have some fun there and will find a dyno when I do. Now though I can't be confident it would make it.

I'm also going to get the coolant flushed just to make sure my P0128 code isn't because the engine has an air pocket or something in it.

Trying not to rush this and think it through correctly. Ted sounds confident he can get it running, but so did Steve. So now I'm gunshy.

Mike
Old 10-29-2022, 04:25 PM   #18
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I've only heard good things about Ted but I've only heard good things about Steve also. So I guess if I was in your position then I would have nothing to lose. I'd say give him a try.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #19
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Have you checked, double checked… that the tune is loading correctly off of the tuner you’re using? Im sure you have but, Im just putting it out there.
Old 10-29-2022, 04:43 PM   #20
5150WS6

Morepowerjoe--Thanks for your input, I appreciate it for sure

0stones0--Fairly confident they are uploading correctly. Follow the instructions to a T and have done so many I can do them in my sleep. I will say also, at fist the car wouldn't start when warm. At all. Ever. Now it will start but not reliably. So I've seen and confirmed there have been changes. But after 7-8 tunes......I feel I should be way closer to having a solid car than I am.

But short story long.....yes the tunes have been loading or I feel I wouldn't have seen any changes all. But I have noticed some.
Old 10-29-2022, 05:06 PM   #21
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I just had my car tuned with a new cam even though my tuner has run into a few issues he at least got the car to fire, idle, and run correctly without even a dyno tune so no your tune isn't finished by a mile. I hate to say it but if you have to, I would get that car on a trailer and take it to wherever you have to, to get a reputable tuner to do a dyno tune on it. That's the ONLY way you're going to get the best tune for your car, the most hp, and possible the cheapest option. The reason I say the cheapest option is because my current tuner only chargers $500 and for a remote tune with hp tuners software / hardware will cost you $400 plus a fee for a remote tune which I think will cost you around another $400. So that's like $800 and then you're still leaving hp on the table with a remote tune. I know you already probably spent money on your current set up for a tune but sometimes you just got to suck it up and do it right. Hope this helps and that car should fire right up, idle correctly, and run like an absolutely animal. Mine does.
^^^^ This for sure. Like mentioned already, I'm surprised too that Steve even did a tune for you since he doesn't like to do .600 lift cams. I have always heard good things about him and his tuning. Ted is also one for doing great tunes at Jannetty and maybe he can get you running better. But like suggested, you really need to get the car on a dyno to get it tweaked properly and safely for driveability sake. And as for the fuel smell, like mentioned, it come with the territory on these high lift cams with a lot of overlap, especially at idle, the valves stay open longer so the raw fuel in the combustion chamber can't get burned off. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:01 AM   #22
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Look at Pat G. Another very very very very well reputable tuner. You can also rent dyno time while doing a remote tune.

Welcome to the world of modding.... it's a pain in the ass starting, working through all the shit. Once it's right and you think it's perfect....you start all over again.

https://www.patgtuning.com/
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:35 AM   #23
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
To answer your original questions:

14 mpg is exactly what I got with similar mods
Like said, learn to love the smell of fumes, or better yet- switch to e purely for the aroma

Now for the starting issue, once it starts is it smooth idle? What happens when it doesn't start?

If it is only a starting problem, but runs well after it starts, it might not be a tune issue. To me, that sounds like a fueling problem.
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:55 PM   #24
5150WS6

Awesome thanks guys. That gives me some insight. I'm ok with fuel smell and crappy mpg's.....I didn't buy a Prius. I just wasn't sure how much of that there would be so it's good to know that's not too far off.

RupertPupkin--Thanks for the heads up on Pat as well. Shot him an email as well. Thanks for that!

Joshnmn--So it's stupid random. It will start and idle fine. When it does stumble, it will take 4-5 tries to get it to start. Then it usually will and then idle fine. On the really stubborn starts it won't start at all without half throttle. Then I have to ease that throttle down very very very slowly for the computer to "catch it's breath" and then it will idle fine. It seems to run ok for the most part. It definitely is not reliable when it comes to starting though. Seems like when I can run and clean it out it starts better. I know it's not carb but it's almost as though it's loading up and starts.

The car also ran perfectly before I screwed with it and took it in for surgery lol. So I think it's just the tune. But at this point I'm looking at everything.