Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
New Tires but now Service StabilTrak code

I just put on my new tires 255/35's front, 275/40 rear (SS) and about 2 minutes after leaving the store, I get a "Service StabilTrak" and all the lights on the dash come on. What's up with this? Do I need to get it serviced? It only has 240 miles on it, and changing to new rubber throws a code?

I did get the check tire pressure DIC, and went through the re-learn process. That worked great.

Last edited by hrpiii; 12-22-2009 at 06:00 PM.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Probably because your running two different tire sizes. The cpu is reading the rotations at different speeds.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

but it comes with different size tires. 275/40 rears, and 245/45 fronts.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
welshman

Drives: 2010 2LT, 98 vette C5, 07 CTS
The stock tires have a 0.1 variation which is within limits for sensors
your combination varies by 6.0%

You can calculate rolling radius here--- I have used this many times to calculate what wheels and tires i can fit to my various cars

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #5
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

can this be reset by the service dept. ? I just don't feel comfortable driving it with all the lights lite up like a christmas tree on the dash?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I don't know about the dealership, but someone with access to aftermarket tuning software should be able to correct that for you.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
your going to have to get the pcm to accept the new tire size or you will have light on all the time i dont think the dealer can or would do this for obvious warr.issues good luck
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

this can not be related. It's like saying you can only HAVE one size tire on this car or it throws a codes. If it is related, I'm going back to another vehicle.

edit: I think they hit something in the brakes, on the back when mounting the tires. I can feel/hear a 'click' from the rear, and the code is thrown to the screen. What is also lite on the dash is the "ABS" and "Brake" lights.

It has been dropped off at the service dept.

Last edited by hrpiii; 12-23-2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
ElManny

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS COTW 7/5/2010
Send a message via AIM to ElManny
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
this can not be related. It's like saying you can only HAVE one size tire on this car or it throws a codes. If it is related, I'm going back to another vehicle.

edit: I think they hit something in the brakes, on the back when mounting the tires. I can feel/hear a 'click' from the rear, and the code is thrown to the screen. What is also lite on the dash is the "ABS" and "Brake" lights.

i doubt its the tires. i put new wheels and the exact same tire sizes and all that came up was the tpms light but that went away when i relearned them
ElManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #10
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
Quote:

If that is so, then won't be covered under the warranty. Any alteration done to the vehicle, that is deemed the cause of the problem, voids warranty for that issue.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
71cam

Drives: 71cam
Quote:

no, you can have a bunch of different tire sizes on the car......AS LONG AS the tire turns out to be exactly the same height as the oem tire that came with the car.(well not exactly.....but pretty darn close)

you can mix and match tires and rims all day long and they will work.....ONLY if the rims clear the brakes and only if the tire height is the same or pretty darn close to the height of the oem tire that came with the car.

as for your ABS light, the tire shop may have accidently disconnected, or pinched the wire going to one of your wheels (rear). when your ABS light is on, your brakes work like they used to in the old days and you will be able to lock your brakes. the clicking you hear may be the abs connector flopping around and hitting the car.

hope everything works out ok for you

keep us posted
71cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
ohfck

Drives: 2010 RJT M6 bone stock ... for now
If you vary the size of the tires front to rear too much from factory specs you will have stabilitrac issues.

Look at it this way, the system works by comparing the speed of the individual tires with each other. If the front tires are turning less revolutions than the rear (because they are larger) then the system thinks that the back tires are spinning and will apply the brakes or reduce power to try to correct it.

I friend had the same issue with his vette, he had to replace one pair of tires and get the overall diameter to be closer to the same.
ohfck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Thanks guys. Just spoke with the service dept, they happen to have their best 3 guys on it. bwahahaha.

Anyway, I mentioned to him again, about the different sizes on the front I put on, and to look at the brakes to see if the tire guys hit something on them. He said he would have an update for me after lunch.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:18 AM   #14
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
I'll running be 295/35/20 all the way around and how long does the computer re-learn the tires? Quite a few people have upgraded to bigger tires/aftermarket wheels and never had this issue. I hope its just a fluke, good luck on your car.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote