Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #477
nibam92

Drives: Black
hey Camaro fans, i have a question
i wanted to buy a v6. all i wanted to know is that are they going to lower the weight and stiffen the suspension. Cause i was reading the Motor tend article on this same stuff and they said that besides for the hp it still doesn't beat that Mustang." The recertification process also found an extra five pound-feet of torque hidden inside the Camaro's 3.6-liter V-6, giving it a new total of 278 pound-feet. Mustang fans will of course point out that the Camaro still falls two pound-feet short of Ford's V-6. Because GM hasn't actually changed anything in the engine, just recertified it, the V-6 Camaro's performance numbers shouldn't change. That means a zero to 60 time of 5.7 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 14.4 seconds at 98.3 mph,[U]leaving it still just behind the Mustang, which hits 60 in 5.1 seconds and runs the quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds at 102 mph, owing to its lighter weight."
nibam92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #478
ponycrusher21
Christopher Fernandez

Drives: Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
That's what I'm saying.

And to say the Camaro sells purely on "coolness" and not at all for it's performance is just ign'ent.
That isn't what I meant. The Camaro is a great performer for the money, and its performance would be a major selling point. I'm just saying that solely based on a performance aspect someone might buy the Mustang over the Camaro. However, most people won't pick a car on just a performance standpoint. That is where the coolness factor comes in.
ponycrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #479
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango Foxtrot View Post
A power passenger seat will do nothing but add more weight the car doesnt need. Take out your driver seat and weigh it, then weigh the passenger seat.

No thank you, the passenger will survive without power.
Not everyone takes their car to the track. I'm not worried about my car's weight. This is a feature that is needed on the Camaro.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #480
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibam92 View Post
i wanted to buy a v6. all i wanted to know is that are they going to lower the weight and stiffen the suspension. Cause i was reading the Motor tend article on this same stuff and they said that besides for the hp it still doesn't beat that Mustang." The recertification process also found an extra five pound-feet of torque hidden inside the Camaro's 3.6-liter V-6, giving it a new total of 278 pound-feet. Mustang fans will of course point out that the Camaro still falls two pound-feet short of Ford's V-6. Because GM hasn't actually changed anything in the engine, just recertified it, the V-6 Camaro's performance numbers shouldn't change. That means a zero to 60 time of 5.7 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 14.4 seconds at 98.3 mph,[U]leaving it still just behind the Mustang, which hits 60 in 5.1 seconds and runs the quarter-mile in 13.7 seconds at 102 mph, owing to its lighter weight."
The best thing I can tell you is that we won't know for certain the options you can get on Camaros until at least you can start building them on the chevy site and ordering them.

Their might be more changes coming. Nobody but GM upper management know this.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #481
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You don't understand things very well to expect them to one-up the Mustang in less than half a year. And the "better performer" has yet to be conclusively decided. The sales are still VERY strong, so your argument about what people will buy is a little flawed...
Playing devils advocate ... how long did it take Ford to release the track pack for the Mustang GT?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #482
westdu

Drives: 2008 C6
Quote:
ODG, I can't believe you're worried about milliseconds. Just get whichever car works for you. I compared a 2000 Mustang vs. 2000 Camaro. I bought the Mustang. Same comparison in 2010, different outcome.
westdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #483
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I thought there was going to be a 3.73 gear option for the SS in model year 2011?I remember someone in the know reported on that a while ago.Wish I could find the thread.
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #484
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
They won't be shedding 300 lbs any time soon. Chances are slit to nill on a V6 performance package (gears, stiffer suspension, etc). And if it's offered, it would probably be a year away, that is if it is offered.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #485
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"

Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
as far as the hp getting 8hp can be so simple as to advance timeing 1 degree, so its very possible teh 11 has more, but with a tune only the 10 will have the same if not slightly more power
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #486
StangKiller-SS

Drives: GM products
I would've loved to see some new colors or ABM brought back at least, and not just the simple addition on Synergy Green.
StangKiller-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #487
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
“The 304 horsepower in the 2010 Camaro was actually a conservative rating on our end,” said Tom Sutter, GM V-6 chief engineer. “But we knew already that this award-winning engine produced at least the amount of power we stated, but now we’ve gone the extra step in certifying the engine for this application and have verified an additional 8 horsepower.”

So, the 2010 V6 Camaro actually has 312 HP? That's what it sounds like from GM's chief V-6 engineer. That's pretty cool.

What I understand from his explanation posted above is that GM finally (for the 2011 model year) SAE certified the V-6 Camaro's HP to be higher than their original conservative rating used for the 2010 model year.

Am I understanding this correctly? If so, the V-6 Camaro, with exhaust, intake, headers, and a tune really has some good usable power. That's awesome.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:08 PM   #488
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Wah!?!?

It produced the most power when it was released...and it STILL makes the most power...there was no bluffing, and no reason to be angry...what are you talking about?
What I'm talking about is perception. I would be happy to find out it had more power than first rated(Although I don't know why because it's not going to make it run any faster) ,but people will look at the 2010 as the one year the v-6 only had 304Hp. I bet once this all gets out and 2011's start showing up we'll see a thread started on here about someone with a 2010 saying something like" I was at the gas station the other day when a guy came up and ask "what motor you got?" ,when the op says" why a V-6", then the guy says" Is that a 2010 or 2011?" , op says" 2010" , guy says " man that sucks you got stuck with the low Hp one" .
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #489
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
With the extra 8 HP, I feel like I stole mine from my dealer.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
bigd1276 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #490
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
Wow Mr. Obsessed, just because I own a camaro doesn't mean I have to defend every camaro ever made, especially when a competitor outperforms it hopefully they will reply with an advancement thats how the game goes, unlike you I can accept facts and talk about them.

It doesn't eat me alive inside that one car is faster than the other, and these are cars not people you are taking all of this way too seriously.
they are not family members man chill out and get a hold of your emotions.

-Thanks
Ok guy, I drive a TT 2010 GT500 so I dont know what your talking about. Id show you a picture of it but I dont have a digital camera or a picture phone in 2010, but I do have a sports car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysen View Post
Not everyone takes their car to the track. I'm not worried about my car's weight. This is a feature that is needed on the Camaro.
It doesnt need a power passenger seat. Why so the passenger can see 1" extra of road? It would cost more and weigh more. This car costs enough and certainly weighs enough as is. Again, its supposed to be a muscle car, not a lexus, not a caddy (cts-v coupe would be perfect for you), not a lincoln ect ect. Its a Camaro, supposed to be fast and cheap. Not obese slow and expensive.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, 2011 camaro, 2011 chevrolet camaro, 2011 chevy camaro, trolls