Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-12-2008, 03:40 AM   #1
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
Just one more reason to hate the UAW!!!!

Well gents we might not get to see the 5th gen after all. I just saw this on the msnbc front page "A $14 billion bailout for U.S. automakers breaks down in the Senate after UAW refuses to accept wage cuts." I have stated for months now how the UAW is choking the life out of the American auto industry and it looks like they are going to continue thier choke hold until the last breath of GM. I guess no job is better then a pay cut. FOOK U UAW!!!
:padd le:
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 AM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...

Sorry, but there's like 4 other threads on this topic already.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
B2E2RUN
Beer Run

Drives: '14 Sierra SLT All-Terrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post

Sorry, but there's like 4 other threads on this topic already.
I will see your 4 and add about 20 more! I am with you, these are all redundant!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
slow down -

While I do not agree with the Union on many issues - they've agreed to take many concessions -- but a few Senators wanted it NOW...........and for once I agree with Ron Gettelfinger.........this has to involve a lot of paycuts and such...........

Let me ask you something:

Why is it that we would want to cut the paychecks for American Workers -- when FOREIGN governments close their markets to us using tarriffs and any number of ways to keep us out of their markets?

Why would you want to contribute to the paychecks of, oh - say the KOREANS-- what have THEY done for us lately?

Remember - the paychecks that go to - oh......say, Lordstown, Ohio Assembly workers --- put money into the local economy in Ohio - -pay for trips to places like Disneyworld - purchase goods and services from many other Americans -- THINK ABOUT IT!

We have SENATORS saying that the Big Three are 'bloated' and are 'incompetent' --

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT, SENATOR SHELBY -- YOU AND YOUR COHORTS HAVE PUT THIS COUNTRY INTO TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF DEBT -- YOU GAVE -- YES gave -- NOT loaned - GAVE -- DIAMLER AND HONDA AND HYUNDAI NEARLY A BILLION DOLLARS TO BUILD IN YOUR STATE - -
YOU PAY ILLEGAL ALIENNS WELFARE BENEFITS -- YOU SPEND HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF PORKBARREL SPENDING - AND YOU VOTE YOURSELVES PAY RAISES AND HAVE THE WORLD'S BEST BENEFITS AND RETIREMENT PACKAGES -- AND YOU SAY THAT THE BIG THREE ARE BLOATED AND THAT NO ONE WANTS THEIR CARS AND TRUCKS???????

IF EVERYONE ON THIS SITE IS NOT ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY INCENSED AT OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS - THEN I GIVE THIS COUNTRY LESS THAN 10 YEARS BEFORE WE IMPLODE UPON OURSELVES.................
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
I think it's pretty clear that politicians only care about themselves and their wallets. As long as they get paid, they don't give a rat's ass what happens to this country.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #6
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
On all of that, even the last sentence.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
If President Bush directs that $15B be taken from the TARP, given the current "burn rate" of these entities, just what will that do for THEM and US???

Will all their ill's be cured in 60 days and able to stand on their own?? I don't know what will be different for them in 60 days can someone tell me what will CHANGE in 60 days???
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
cam-up

Drives: 03 S/C DODGE 1500, O2 CAMARO
thank your UAW when your without a job, go see what they will do for you then, for the love of god, 70 dollars and hour,its a lazy monkey job, what srcew a few bolts, and get that kind of pay, good for the UAW, but they better get back to earth, or they will be in the umemployment line, so go ahead be greddy, and i keep defending this country. good luck, in the end they will get a hand out, then in 60 days it all starts over
cam-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
If President Bush directs that $15B be taken from the TARP, given the current "burn rate" of these entities, just what will that do for THEM and US???

Will all their ill's be cured in 60 days and able to stand on their own?? I don't know what will be different for them in 60 days can someone tell me what will CHANGE in 60 days???
The change will be new Congress and new President. Obama will not let them fail on his watch if he wants to even think about a second term.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Scott@Bjorn3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam-up View Post
thank your UAW when your without a job, go see what they will do for you then, for the love of god, 70 dollars and hour,its a lazy monkey job, what srcew a few bolts, and get that kind of pay, good for the UAW, but they better get back to earth, or they will be in the umemployment line, so go ahead be greddy, and i keep defending this country. good luck, in the end they will get a hand out, then in 60 days it all starts over
The 70.00 an hour is nuts but that is what it cost the company. Not what the employee sees in a paycheck. Out of that is all the retirement, health and union dues.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:42 AM   #11
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
I've posted so many times on so many sites about the UAW. I think I'll hold my thoughts this time...
Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #12
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
I think they make closer to $48-49 an hr but the benefits get them to around $70 so when they can cut that they can also cut the cost of the NEW CAMARO IMHO to where more of us can afford to get what we really want and deserve. I think Toyota makes about $28-29 an hr but I don't have the source as I hear it on a talk radio station and my number may be off a little but not a whole lot. It is still a lot more than I make and I wish they can come to their senses and realize it's no fun standing in line at the unemployment office to get a smaller ck.

Here is one source: http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...U4NGNhNWI5MjI=
Wednesday, December 10, 2008

How Much Do UAW Workers Really Make? [Stephen Spruiell]

New York Times business columnist David Leonhardt tackles the question today and concludes that the oft-cited figure of $73 per hour is misleading:

The calculations show, accurately enough, that for every hour a unionized worker puts in, one of the Big Three really does spend about $73 on compensation. So the number isn’t made up. But it is the combination of three very different categories.

The first category is simply cash payments, which is what many people imagine when they hear the word “compensation.” It includes wages, overtime and vacation pay, and comes to about $40 an hour. (The numbers vary a bit by company and year. That’s why $73 is sometimes $70 or $77.)

The second category is fringe benefits, like health insurance and pensions. These benefits have real value, even if they don’t show up on a weekly paycheck. At the Big Three, the benefits amount to $15 an hour or so.

Add the two together, and you get the true hourly compensation of Detroit’s unionized work force: roughly $55 an hour. It’s a little more than twice as much as the typical American worker makes, benefits included. The more relevant comparison, though, is probably to Honda’s or Toyota’s (nonunionized) workers. They make in the neighborhood of $45 an hour, and most of the gap stems from their less generous benefits.

The third category is the cost of benefits for retirees. These are essentially fixed costs that have no relation to how many vehicles the companies make. But they are a real cost, so the companies add them into the mix — dividing those costs by the total hours of the current work force, to get a figure of $15 or so — and end up at roughly $70 an hour.

The crucial point, though, is this $15 isn’t mainly a reflection of how generous the retiree benefits are. It’s a reflection of how many retirees there are. [emp. added] The Big Three built up a huge pool of retirees long before Honda and Toyota opened plants in this country. You’d never know this by looking at the graphic behind Wolf Blitzer on CNN last week, contrasting the “$73/hour” pay of Detroit’s workers with the “up to $48/hour” pay of workers at the Japanese companies.

But Heritage analyst James Sherk says this just isn't true:

The hourly benefit figures the Detroit automakers report covers the cost of current and future benefits earned by actively working employees. It does not include the cost of paying health benefits and pensions to current retirees. [emp. added]

To back this up, Sherk points out that:

The Detroit automakers pay similar wages at each company despite having very different numbers of retirees to provide for... General Motors has far more retirees per active worker than Ford or Chrysler. For each active worker at GM, there were 3.8 retirees or dependants in 2006. At Chrysler this ratio was half as much: two retirees for each worker. At Ford there were only 1.6 retirees per worker. If the hourly labor costs included retiree benefits, hourly wages at GM would be much higher than at either Ford or Chrysler.

But this is not the case. General Motors did not have the highest hourly labor costs despite having more retirees. Chrysler paid $2.60 an hour more in labor costs in 2006 than GM did. Ford paid only $2.75 an hour less than GM did, despite having half as many retirees relative to workers to provide for. All three automakers had roughly the same hourly labor costs despite having very different numbers of retirees to provide for. Hourly labor costs account for the expense of providing wages and benefits to current workers but do not include legacy costs.

Sherk makes a strong case, but maybe I'm missing something. Who's right?

12/10 10:41 AM
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
Scott@Bjorn3D

Also the pay on the Camaro is totally different , UAW not involved since it is built in Canada. They have a better deal with the Canada's union.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #14
Cleric

Drives: not a 5th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
slow down -

While I do not agree with the Union on many issues - they've agreed to take many concessions -- but a few Senators wanted it NOW...........and for once I agree with Ron Gettelfinger.........this has to involve a lot of paycuts and such...........
They did agree to finally take concessions. But they waited a LONG time.

They pushed for the job banks to pay people for not doing something. Granted I am not sure how smart GM was in agreeing to this, but what are you going to do if you are a high fixed cost company and your labor is demanding it or they do not work. They have been living the life off of the BIG 3 and it has now caught up to them.

I think that there should be something for the big 3. I think, if it comes to it, them going under there would be a far reaching effect to the economy that will bring a lot of others down.

But lets be honest. I would be willing to support a much larger bailout if include making the big 3 a right to work company with no unions. Not all unions are bad, and certianly some of them work very well with mgmt. However unions like the UAW bleed companies dry and does not allow for flexability.

I better watch my back for going agaisnt the father. I just hope I have an opportunity to support your product.

Edit: Fixed typographical errors
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote