Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Deployed During The Holidays

If you are now, or have ever been deployed over the holidays, post up some pics so people can see how we celebrate the holidays in the desert!!

Please post the holiday, year, and location and any other commentary.

I will start:

Thanksgiving 2009, Joint Base Balad Iraq -- The dining facilities (because we aren't supposed to call them chow halls) have competitions between each other and do AMAZING things with food....the turkey in the second pic is made entirely of food!! The feathers are ruffles potato chips!!!

Christmas 2009, Joint Base Balad, Iraq:

Santa is kinda skinny in this pic, but it was before Christmas Eve...don't worry....he fattened up with all the cookies and milk!! I asked him for a Camaro and I got one!!!

Our Christmas Tree made up of Mt Dew Cans!! The pieces of paper are envelopes with gift certificate prizes for our holiday party.

Last edited by SSMOKINHOT; 12-06-2010 at 09:15 AM.
SSMOKINHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #2
Seneca SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS --
COOL Pictures--THANKS,THANKS,THANKS

Horse Power is where its at !!!!!
Seneca SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Very cool! Im glad the troops are taken care of.

Looks like they had a better holiday than some folks back home...

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
I'm not military, but I wish I wasn't overseas right now, as I have some great photo's from the Ocean... during the holidays.

I was working offshore Egypt, oil drilling rig, and I have to throw out kudos to the Egyptian Galley Staff...

They invited some of us to celebrate Rhamadan [sp] with them and then they were amazing with the spread they put out for us at Christmas.

To be 8000 miles away from home at Christmas Time was rough, as it always has been, but they went over and above to let us feel a little bit like it was Christmas.

Kudo's and My Prayers are with all of our Service People serving abroad at all times, but most especially this time of the year...

Thank You every One for your Service...and the Freedoms you provide and secure...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
metallicide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Didnt really get to celebrate but spent the holidays on mission...but we made the best of it!
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Z28RockStar

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM 6M, 2007 Harley Deluxe
One veteran to all US and allied Armed Forces, THANK YOU and your families for all you sacrafice daily for me and mine, I LOVE YOU, RESPECT YOU, PRAY FOR YOU and THANK YOU!

POW/MIA You are not forgotten, not ever, in my home anyway!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU ! ! ! ! ! !
Old 12-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Seneca SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS --
this is how i feel about our great people in the military--from a car show in Deadwood,SD--GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horse Power is where its at !!!!!
Seneca SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
Very cool! Im glad the troops are taken care of. Looks like they had a better holiday than some folks back home...
Yea, my husband said I shouldn't post pics like those because people back home won't feel sorry for us any more and won't send us any more care packages!! LoL! That being said, that was at a well-established base....there are lots of places that are in very austere conditions who eat MREs for Christmas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I'm not military, but I wish I wasn't overseas right now, as I have some great photo's from the Ocean... during the holidays.

I was working offshore Egypt, oil drilling rig, and I have to throw out kudos to the Egyptian Galley Staff...

They invited some of us to celebrate Rhamadan [sp] with them and then they were amazing with the spread they put out for us at Christmas.

To be 8000 miles away from home at Christmas Time was rough, as it always has been, but they went over and above to let us feel a little bit like it was Christmas.

Kudo's and My Prayers are with all of our Service People serving abroad at all times, but most especially this time of the year...

Thank You every One for your Service...and the Freedoms you provide and secure...
I too have had the pleasure of being invited to celebrate Ramadan and EIDs on a few occassions while serving in Turkey. It was very nice to be welcome in their home!! And yes, it is really tough for people serving overseas during the holidays. My thanks and prayers are with everyone over there as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicide View Post
Didnt really get to celebrate but spent the holidays on mission...but we made the best of it!
Thank you for sharing! I spent 7 months in Kabul in '09...and am headed back there in the spring...I am thankful I got to spend this holiday season at home!
Old 12-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
metallicide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMOKINHOT View Post
Yea, my husband said I shouldn't post pics like those because people back home won't feel sorry for us any more and won't send us any more care packages!! LoL! That being said, that was at a well-established base....there are lots of places that are in very austere conditions who eat MREs for Christmas!

I too have had the pleasure of being invited to celebrate Ramadan and EIDs on a few occassions while serving in Turkey. It was very nice to be welcome in their home!! And yes, it is really tough for people serving overseas during the holidays. My thanks and prayers are with everyone over there as well!

Thank you for sharing! I spent 7 months in Kabul in '09...and am headed back there in the spring...I am thankful I got to spend this holiday season at home!
Awesome, I spent a few days in kabul on my way down south, then ended up in Oruzgan province stationed with the special forces in the middle of NOWHERE.....Immagine a few little national guard infantry men with the SF....was a GREAT time, and full of excitement. Thanks for your service!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
AnnaBear@SpartaChevy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Manual Synergy Grn
Send a message via Yahoo to AnnaBear@SpartaChevy
VERY COOL pictures!

Thank you for posting and THANK YOU for your service. :flag2:

AnnaBear@SpartaChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
My son was deployed two different times on the holidays. They never got to eat anything special....out on patrol while the chow hall was open, closed by the time they got in. Sad but true. If you get a chance, please send boxes to soldiers overseas. They really do appreciate it. He was at Basic during Thanksgiving. We were invited to come, and it was very nice. The drill sargeants (?spelling?) were serving. He is not deployed this Christmas. Thanks to all our military and families everywhere. It's truly a sacrifice we will never understand.

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
alab32

This is Thanksgiving and Christmas in Iraq in 06.

And this was how I spent Christmas day... In the back of a Stryker on a mission...

And this was Christmas in Afghanistan back in 07... THIS was a deployed Christmas. No one else on my FOB (and very few in Afghanistan) had a Christmas dinner like us that is for sure!

This is some pig, shrimp cocktail, ribs, steak, green bean casserole and plenty plenty more! I was impressed...

This was some needed relaxation... (however I do not think this was Christmas.

alab32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #13
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

Great pics! Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
SSMOKINHOT
obseSSed

From CNN -- As we march into another hectic holiday season, past Veterans Day and past the ceremony in which Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta became the first living recipient of the Medal of Honor since the Vietnam War, it is a good time to pause and to reflect on this.
More of the story---http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/12/06/scotti.medal.honor.holiday/index.html