Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
I'm hopping to see upwards off 450hp.

The Boss has 440hp and a much much lighter car. for the 1LE to compete GM should bump up the power and drop some weight. just like what ford did to the Boss.

Power Seats, Nav, Premium Sound, etc... are just unnecessary if GM wants the 1LE to perform at the track. without all those things thats about a 15-20lbs of the car already.

I personally think that GM should make the 1LE as light as possible. the 1LE should be something like the GT3 RS a stripped down street legal race car.

Even if their is a power increase this goes to show why IRS is better than a SRA. It's planted and eats up corners better then any SRA. If done right. and it sounds like that's what they did. I'm sure there are other areas in the suspension department that could be done, but from the factory this is great. and if what I've heard correct the 1LE has beat the boss already on one of their favorite tracks, VIR.

but if you haven't looked NAV and all that is optional with it. I'm with you 1LE should be limited in content and more like a race care. hell the LE stands for Limited Equipment, or at least use to.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Why limit content? Have the base model with the options available. Remember GM is looking to make a buck or two.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #17
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
I'm hopping to see upwards off 450hp.

The Boss has 440hp and a much much lighter car. for the 1LE to compete GM should bump up the power and drop some weight. just like what ford did to the Boss.

Power Seats, Nav, Premium Sound, etc... are just unnecessary if GM wants the 1LE to perform at the track. without all those things thats about a 15-20lbs of the car already.

I personally think that GM should make the 1LE as light as possible. the 1LE should be something like the GT3 RS a stripped down street legal race car.
Suspension is 10x better than the Boss's
Old 04-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
RWHP should show an increase.
Exactly. You should get more rwhp. Whatever the electric power steering is good for, but that doesn't give you anymore at the engine, which is where Chevy rates it. I think you should also get a bump in fuel economy. I think electric power steering is typically good for 1 extra mpg.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #19
JX2B.Graham
capitalcitycamaros.com

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 1SS Camaro 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Exactly. You should get more rwhp. Whatever the electric power steering is good for, but that doesn't give you anymore at the engine, which is where Chevy rates it. I think you should also get a bump in fuel economy. I think electric power steering is typically good for 1 extra mpg.
Not with 3.91 gears, you will see a drop in MPG I would imagine.
JX2B.Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #20
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
Suspension is 10x better than the Boss's
I agree with that.

I'm just saying that the 1LE should be a stripped down street legal race car. something like the GT3 RS and the Scuderia F430.

I know the suspension is superior compared to its rivals but also GM should've focused some more on weight loss.

The SS its self is a great sports car (I can only imagine the purposely tuned track car) but its weight is whats holding it back.
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
cbass

Quote:
Not with 3.91 gears, you will see a drop in MPG I would imagine.
Not really. Yes it has 3.91 final drive, but it also has different ratios inside the transmission. There are only a few gears that are lower. The rest if you drive in fuel sipper mode should retain the same fuel economy. Here is the calculations I did in another thread. Assuming my math is right.

By the way, in the last thread it was mentioned that 278 mph was not possible. That is correct. That is the theoretical top speed in the gear at the camaro's redline. The camaro does not have the horspower and aerodynamics to achieve it. That and those two gears are overdrive gears which aren't typically used for acceleration, but fuel economy. So although it seems wrong it's actually not.

Quote:
have also taken a look at the new final ratio and gear ratios and I am not a speed calculating expert, but here is what I got using this calculator. Can someone tell me if this is accurate or if I should go back to math class?

http://www.apexgarage.com/tech/gear_ratios.shtml

I used 27.8544 for the tire diameter, 6,600 for the rpm.

So with the 3.45 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the SS I get max speeds of

1st: 53 mph
2nd: 77 mph
3rd: 111 mph
4th: 159 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 278 mph

With the new 3.91 Final and the transmission gearing listed for the 1LE I get max speeds of

1st: 53 mph
2nd: 79 mph
3rd: 108mph
4th: 140 mph
5th: 189 mph
6th: 280 mph

It looks like first gear comes out to exactly the same.

Second gear is actually slightly taller on the 1LE, but very minimal (around 100 rpm)

Third gear is a little shorter on the 1LE, but not much again (around 100 rpm)

Now 4th gear is where you notice the shorter gearing of the 1LE.

The overdrives are pretty much exactly the same as well so it looks like you can still sip fuel in granny mode. Very nice. It looks like this is still a great daily driver.

Of course, that's if my calculations are correct???
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
I agree with that.

I'm just saying that the 1LE should be a stripped down street legal race car. something like the GT3 RS and the Scuderia F430.

I know the suspension is superior compared to its rivals but also GM should've focused some more on weight loss.

The SS its self is a great sports car (I can only imagine the purposely tuned track car) but its weight is whats holding it back.

Wayyyyyyyyyy to expensive to do for GM.

I'm replacing the seats, exhaust, rotors, etc., when I get my Camaro.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Not really. Yes it has 3.91 final drive, but it also has different ratios inside the transmission. There are only a few gears that are lower. The rest if you drive in fuel sipper mode should retain the same fuel economy. Here is the calculations I did in another thread. Assuming my math is right.

By the way, in the last thread it was mentioned that 278 mph was not possible. That is correct. That is the theoretical top speed in the gear at the camaro's redline. The camaro does not have the horspower and aerodynamics to achieve it. That and those two gears are overdrive gears which aren't typically used for acceleration, but fuel economy. So although it seems wrong it's actually not.
Good job you beat me to it.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
cbass

Quote:
I agree with that.

If you start seriously using it for the track, then why not strip it down yourself? Who needs back seats for a track car? Who needs a passenger seat? It's not that hard to just start unbolting things. Easier to take apart than install.

Quote:
Good job you beat me to it.
Now I really hope my math is right because if it isn't, then I may have started some crazy rumor that IDK if I want to take responsibility for. Although in my opinion for a street/track car GM did the right thing changing the ratios to work out that way. It really gives you the best of both worlds.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #25
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
I agree with that.

At this point there is not a whole lot that can be done for weight reduction without re-engineering and costly and/or exotic materials. It is what it is, the weight of the 5th gen Camaro cannot be radically altered at this point in time unless buyers are willing to pay a very substantial premium.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@Lingenfelter View Post
Corbeau LG1 seats. We used their bolt-in seat tracks as well. Changing the seats saved approximately 150 pounds over the factory seats.
I thought this quote was worth another look. Yeah, 150 lbs savings. HUGE!

If that is the case;
150 - seats
30 - exhaust
10 - washer fluid bottle
20 - 2 piece rotors
Anything else?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #27
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
At this point there is not a whole lot that can be done for weight reduction without re-engineering and costly and/or exotic materials. It is what it is, the weight of the 5th gen Camaro cannot be radically altered at this point in time unless buyers are willing to pay a very substantial premium.
Clyde
a little price increase wouldn't hurt the 1LE. if its priced similar to the Boss its gonna do just fine.

and plus most people gonna be buying the 1LE are Hrdcore Track people and somebody that knows what the car is really for. those people are most of the time willing to pay a little extra.

if GM priced the 1LE at $45-$48k I personally think thats fair. Do you seriously believe that its gonna be under $40k? the Fully loaded SS sells for $39k. GM is not stupid. why buy the SS if you can have the Better one for a $1k difference?
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I thought this quote was worth another look. Yeah, 150 lbs savings. HUGE!

If that is the case;
150 - seats
30 - exhaust
10 - washer fluid bottle
20 - 2 piece rotors
Anything else?
I'll have to keep my girlfriend out of it.

Last edited by Fightinfire921; 07-28-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote