Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
family man

Drives: .
Question breather on oil fill tube

While checking out some engine pics on here, I noticed some people have breathers on their oil fill tube. Why is that? Will it help with cranckcase ventilation and reduce the amount of oil being run though a catch can?
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by family man View Post
While checking out some engine pics on here, I noticed some people have breathers on their oil fill tube. Why is that? Will it help with cranckcase ventilation and reduce the amount of oil being run though a catch can?

I have always ran one and I essentially have no oil running through my system. when I pulled my intake manifold I was pleasantly suprised at how clean my intake ports on my heads were.
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by family man View Post
Just another method of getting the fresh air side of PCV system. But, it will mess with your fuel trims. Since it essentially replaces the makeup air that is mormally and intentionally seen by the MAF sensor it isn't being accounted for.

The breather with the check valve helps reduce this by reducing the incoming airflow, but it will still skew the fuel trims by 6-7% as I recall. I've posted this somewhere on here when I was testing them out. The good news is most people that are considering breathers are modded enough to be tuned. The change in fueling can be corrected by tuning.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
yeah...breather on an oil cap plus catch can is 10psi FI territory in a nutshell. ANother way to release crankcase pressure. ECS's doesn't have a valve I don't think...just open breather...Doug told me like a 3-4% adjustment for idle/tip in possibly needed. I'm putting mine on with my Elite catch can when I pulley down. I can have Ted tweak the tune if need be. I pulled the oil cap to test it last week and it idled fine...little different, but fine. Could be Ted's tune.