Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Floor board rust spot... lowered car?

Very concerned.

Yesterday I did the methanol headlight trick to get rid of the film that coats the inside of the headlamp lenses after time (worked great), but in the process of removing the plastic wheel well liners to get the front bumper off, I noticed a spot of rust around an inch long and half an inch wide on the passenger side toe board. On the driver side, you can see the factory coating is scraped in the same spot but not down to the metal (yet).

It's obviously from the wheel well liner rubbing up against that spot, since you can see rust staining on the wheel well liner that is directly adjacent to that spot. I guess after time, it rubbed the factory protective paint off.

No idea what could be causing it other than the fact that my car is lowered, making it more susceptible to my tires striking the wheel well liner when I drive over high bumps, and maybe when that happens, the wheel well liner scrapes against that spot? I don't know. Like I said, it's on the driver side too but hasn't actually worn away the protective paint in its entirety yet.

My car has the BMR 1.4" drop springs, which next to the HRE are the lowest springs you can get for the SS.

I'm pretty concerned about this, since even though the rust is only on the surface and I can easily nip it in the bud and stop it from getting worse, there would be no point if I don't solve this rubbing issue since it will just keep happening again and again.

I have no pics of the spot, but to give you an idea of where it's at, I circled it in red on this undercarriage shot:

For those of you who have lowered cars, especially those who ride real low, I would highly recommend you check this spot out to make sure you don't have the same issue. Heck, even if you have stock ride height, I would check it out just in case this might be a design flaw with the wheel well liner. In the meantime, I am wondering if anybody has any possible solutions to stop this from happening that don't involve cutting a hole into the wheel well liner that touches that area.
Attached Images

nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
LuSe4

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Fix the spot and put some 3m clear protective film over the area.