Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #57
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
First, I think GM needs to fix the recalls that they have on "ALL" of their vehicles.
And they still holding us to GM owning Our vehicles, they will see their sales go down and drop this issue.

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #58
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
GM.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm38 View Post
First, I think GM needs to fix the recalls that they have on "ALL" of their vehicles.
And they still holding us to GM owning Our vehicles, they will see their sales go down and drop this issue.
I am starting to look for a older truck that GM can't say that they own that vehicle, even if it don't have a computer.

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:51 PM   #59
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
^ you will see the key thing get worse this year, the ntsb decided to extend their stay at gm. Decided they where not doing enough on the recalls. They had a blip about it on the business channel recently.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #60
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
^ you will see the key thing get worse this year, the ntsb decided to extend their stay at gm. Decided they where not doing enough on the recalls. They had a blip about it on the business channel recently.
The key recall is so trivial in comparison to the issues with airbags. I have never liked airbags and now not only if you get in an accident you get punched by an airbag.hey you now can have metal fragments heaved at you. Great Design idea. Can some one Please say we just all need racing seat belts and call it a day.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:51 PM   #61
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
Or wear a seat belt. Am I so old I remember a time pre-airbag?
You remember no seatbelts? I remember my Dad had to BUY seatbelts from Chevy and he installed them. Not sure if he wanted to do it himself or have GM do it. I remember Dad was a diy'er so he probably thought he would save on the labor cost.

This DRM thing doesn't mean that GM OWNS the vehicle, without us they couldn't make cars and trucks. Besides GM has no right to make demands like this, I believe we are still part owners.

Also this is like saying we don't own the computers that run MS Windows. That would only work with those tablet things that MS made which are loaded with windows and maybe XBoxes because windows is actually loaded on them too. Call it what you will but you don't own the MS SW or HW you lease it. I think it is harder to claim the hardware that runs the software. The software we concede, but not the actual vehicle.

So who actually wrote the software, GM? Maybe a subcontractor? I think the safety angle is valid. That being said now you will see GM bundle it all together so you can't seperate the subparts which make the whole. I also think if there is a subcontractor involved that GM also must pay the royalties to the subcontractor and this will increase the cost of the car.
Troy
Old 05-23-2015, 11:37 PM   #62
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
So here's a question for you all who are defending this...

Let's just say that this goes through and now when you purchase your 2017 Cruze/Camaro/Sonic...you, when signing the paperwork, have to sign an EULA for the ECM coding etc.

You pay the car off, clean and clear a week later, and start changing things out, lets just say...the headers. This requires modifying the ECM coding to make the headers work at maximum potential.

GM then sees this, hears about this, whatever. You've changed the code, tampered with their property, and then revoke your EULA.

You're now driving your car with GM's software, that they view as their property..so who wins? What good is your car without the software to run it?

GM can get bent, seriously. They're facing the largest fine in auto history, have been found to have acted with criminal intent and action in the recall coverup, and now are doing this?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 AM   #63
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
So what you are saying is buy a good radar jammar and you can really mess with caddys, Mercedes and BMW's

You know, that's a good question. I really don't know what would happen if a jammer were used. I do know that my Valentine 1 goes nuts when I get close to certain cars or trucks. My buddy just bought a 2015 Silverado and it does this. It has a system that vibrates the seat if you start to drift out of your lane. I think it also auto-brakes too, if it senses you are about to rear end someone.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:27 AM   #64
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
So here's a question for you all who are defending this...

Let's just say that this goes through and now when you purchase your 2017 Cruze/Camaro/Sonic...you, when signing the paperwork, have to sign an EULA for the ECM coding etc.

You pay the car off, clean and clear a week later, and start changing things out, lets just say...the headers. This requires modifying the ECM coding to make the headers work at maximum potential.

GM then sees this, hears about this, whatever. You've changed the code, tampered with their property, and then revoke your EULA.

You're now driving your car with GM's software, that they view as their property..so who wins? What good is your car without the software to run it?

GM can get bent, seriously. They're facing the largest fine in auto history, have been found to have acted with criminal intent and action in the recall coverup, and now are doing this?

I don't think anyone is "defending" GM. I'm not in favor of the legislation, but I can explain why GM is behind it.

In the example you stated - (adding headers and changing the ECM code) - The problem isn't that GM would own the code and revoke your EULA... the problem is you WOULDN'T be able to change the code for your headers. The software would be encrypted and protected. Anyone who offered unlicensed modified code or any unlicensed system to provide a method to alter the code would be sued by GM and forced to cease and desist.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:30 AM   #65
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Thats surprising I get a recall notice a few times a month telling me to bring my car in to fix the key because I never did it.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:12 AM   #66
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
Not just that specific recall but all of them in general where cited as lacking action
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #67
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
You know, that's a good question. I really don't know what would happen if a jammer were used. I do know that my Valentine 1 goes nuts when I get close to certain cars or trucks. My buddy just bought a 2015 Silverado and it does this. It has a system that vibrates the seat if you start to drift out of your lane. I think it also auto-brakes too, if it senses you are about to rear end someone.
Well at least you know those people will be less likely to tailgate you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
there is no debate there. when you buy software your buying a license to use it, your not buying the software. and it does clearly state that in many instances. when you install software you almost always have to agree to an end users licensing agreement which stipulates that the company, and not you, owns the software.
The unfortunate part is it is stated after you open the box and then can not return it. I have and do work in the industry and have said over the last 20 years that is wrong. If I do not own it or may not like the license agreement then there needs to be a way i can return it because in essence the software companies are saying here is a contract but you have to agree and pay for it before you read it. If you look back at consumers we are use to buying an object then do what we want with it. for example a chair maybe i bought it and want it to have 3 legs I can modify it. I can also sale the chair but because it is physical I can not sale 2. Why then could I not modify the application I bought and resale it, the same copy I bought. I really think the laws have swung to far on the liberal side and need to correct and eventually will.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:50 PM   #68
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
http://www.msdperformance.com/Produc...aster_Kit.aspx

Problem solved?

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #69
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Real world.
I gave up trying to keep count of the number of people who purposely walked in front of my truck. And if you stop for that one asshole your truck gets jumped. And then there is nothing you can do besides fend for yourself while a hundred other ******s empty the load. And then you feel you are lucky to get away with your life.

So yes, auto stop...
There is nothing to worry about , all the vehicles that may become equipped with that fixture ( auto stop ) will also be equipped with a safary grade TASER
If someone crosses your path with the intention to have his compadres jump on you/your vehicle , the TASER will be activated automatically , just like when you push the cruise control ON. And no , there is not a manual selection !!!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote