Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #1023
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Wow ..... the Shelby beat the ZL1 at Willow and Laguna :(
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #1024
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
It seems pretty clear that people just want to argue back and forth.

It doesn't seem to matter WHO does the testing under WHAT conditions or WHERE or WHEN they are done.

People always seem to be able to find some fault with the testing if the testing doesn't declare their favorite car the winner.

Now they're even questioning the age of the reviewers.?

Because one source only reported a single lap time for each, some believe that they must have only run a single lap in each? Please...

Some people prefer the GM, some the Ford, and no matter what gets reported by whom or in what publication, they opinions will never change.

If the results don't support thier favorite car, then the testing must be bias, faulty, or some kind of conspiracy by someone.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #1025
Topher3134

Drives: delete me
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post

Laguna wouldn't suprise me but streets of willow does.
Topher3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #1026
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

Now they're even questioning the age of the reviewers.?
Please re-read my post. It seems you missed my point. What I wish to highlight is that numerous factors come into play when calling any particular car a "winner." My point about the age of the reviewer potentially changing the named winner is a guess. An interesting one, IMHO, but still a guess.

When we stop looking through cynical eyes at everything, we are much more capable of seeing things more clearly.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #1027
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
Please re-read my post. It seems you missed my point. What I wish to highlight is that numerous factors come into play when calling any particular car a "winner." My point about the age of the reviewer potentially changing the named winner is a guess. An interesting one, IMHO, but still a guess.

When we stop looking through cynical eyes at everything, we are much more capable of seeing things more clearly.
I understood your point, the fact that a person of a different age may have a different outlook or opinion.

I was just trying to point out that the age question is just one more example of a 'what if' concerning test results or reviews.

Always a 'what if' question, that's all.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #1028
evolve

Drives: 03 Cobra
Quote:
I seen that too.
evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #1029
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
agreed, i remember when car and driver picked their 10 favorite track cars. the z06 finished fifth even though it destroyed all the other cars on the track. the car they picked 3rd is what really irritated me. they picked the mazda miata third. it was by far the slowest car.
could not agree more this is where your perspective comes in though. I guaranty your not goign to load your pants because the miat steped out at 85mph on you ha ha.

the big thing people forget here is both cars are really preforming awesome.

if you like handling your going to lean a bit towards the ZL1 as it just knocks it out of the park. If you like just raw speed the GT500 just knocks it out of the park.

it is like a Z06 with a back seat accelration wise but at track days just like every shelby to date it has issues with sustaining pace.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #1030
Van@RevanRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: GM and Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post
Van, sent you a PM!

In my opinion, HP is not everything in this comparison. HP truly is secondary when it comes to road racing. A lot of HP can make a bad driver look good (at least in the straights) but the V-box data and total laptime will be the interesting part in this. Van clearly knows how to drive, 2.29 at Sebring is rocking on street tires!

More HP also means higher speed in the straights will also means harder braking, not always a good thing depending on a cars set-up.

Already off the bat the cars are quite different, stock for stock there is about a 200lb difference and 80-100hp. But then the Camaro has a great suspension, wider tires, a little more brake etc. There will ALWAYS be someone with more power mods, more suspension mods, more lap times at that specific track. This is about what two "decent" drivers can do with their own cars in the real world.

Turns out I will be running some mods this weekend due to some testing we have to do, I sent a PM to Van to let him know what I will be running so I'll see what he says

True, what says that a car is better than another? Is it a laptime? A 1/4 mile time? How many years warranty it has? Not that warranty reall is something we are worrying about haha... Anyways, a lot comes down to personal opinion.

You bet, Go Pro and V-Box!
It's on! Erik should be posting a thread in the near future.

Let's get it on!

This weekend at Homestead!

Van
Van@RevanRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #1031
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
For two laps... and then the ZL1 was running faster for the rest of the laps.
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #1032
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan View Post
For two laps... and then the ZL1 was running faster for the rest of the laps.
someone in the other thread did the math and the GT500 was a couple of ticks ahead after 3 laps.
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #1033
PistonsFan

Drives: 08 CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
someone in the other thread did the math and the GT500 was a couple of ticks ahead after 3 laps.
Right... if you are talking about cumulative time. The point was that the GT500 laps times were getting progressively worse to the point that the 3rd lap was below the the Camaro's best time.
PistonsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #1034
eolson
eolson

Drives: 2006 premium Package Mustang GT cou
Pobst made it clear that is it was the brake fade that made the laps diminish for the GT500, so clearly the GT500 needs brake ducting of some kind. Who wants to call SVT and say awesome job guys, but where the @!%%$%$^ are the brake ducts for cooling???? Erik
2006 Prem Pkg Mustang GT coupe. Saleen SC,10psi, 454rwhp,442rwtq, Complete Steeda/H&R, suspension change out, with weight loss, Techco Watts link, Stoptech big brakes, Race clutch, Alum. flywheel, Alum 1 pc driveshaft, 9x18,10x18 chrome bullit wheels, 285/40/18,255/45/18 nitto 555 tires. 3545 lbs currently. New car scent air freshener.
eolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #1035
C5RocksC5
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolson View Post
Pobst made it clear that is it was the brake fade that made the laps diminish for the GT500, so clearly the GT500 needs brake ducting of some kind. Who wants to call SVT and say awesome job guys, but where the @!%%$%$^ are the brake ducts for cooling???? Erik
brake ducts will be a $5k option for 2014
C5RocksC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:33 PM   #1036
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Something to keep in mind (I'm sure the avid drag racers will clearly understand this):

The power-to-weight difference between a GT 500 and a ZL1 is EXACTLY the same as a V6 Mustang and a 1SS Camaro. 24+%

Which is faster AND quicker? Straight line AND roadcourse? By how much?
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inside line article, video, zl1 vs 2013 gt500, zl1 vs gt500