Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-22-2008, 11:57 AM   #15
jdpickering
Razzi

Drives: 99 Monte Carlo Z34
Quote:
garfin: Why no AFM on the maual transmission V8?

DougHoulihan: the AFM is done elecronically as we move from 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder mode or 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder mode. The manual transmission is mechanically in specific gears and does not allow us to electronically change from 4 cylinder to 8 cylinder mode.
Wonder what this will do to the EPA Fuel Milage for the Manuals. If you don't want AFM get a Manual
jdpickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #16
greysteel_M6

Drives: 00' SS
You'll have to tune it out, Idk if it will be available on hand helds though.
greysteel_M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
There is an easy way to bypass AFM: stay on the gas. It will never deactivate the other 4 cylinders.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #18
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
All that aside how easy/hard will it be to get rid of it? Just a cam/lifters upgrade or what?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #19
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
All that aside how easy/hard will it be to get rid of it? Just a cam/lifters upgrade or what?
All you really need will be a tune, but you have to have a tune unless you like staring at a check engine light (and maybe some stumbling and stalling at cruise).

An LS3 cam would probably bring the power up to LS3 levels, but if you are swapping the cam you might as well go a little hotter. that would probably sound better to.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #20
AnEvilPenguin

Drives: 05 Impala SS 86 Trans Am
I've built up ALOT of Gen 3 and 4 engines, AFM has a LOMA that cuts back on oil going to two cylinders on each bank, so the 4 cylinders that the lifters are not being pumped up let the valves stay closed so that they are not taking in any air or fuel mixture. also the PCM/VCM cuts off spark and the injectors to those cylinders. this only happens on cruising, decel, AND long idling, but on acceleration all 8 cylinders are firing. As for the sound, YES there is a really annoying sound when the afm is cutting off the 4 cylinders WHILE you have a loud exhaust, the exhaust sounds like a big 4 banger with a bad wrist pin. that is the best way for me to describe it. FYI almost all of the gen 4 engines have the afm bossed engines even if the car/truck does not have the afm feature, they just do not have the 1/8" holes drilled into them and instead of having a LOMA they just have the standard flat valley cover from Gen 3 engines. and YES afm can be permanently disabled, through computer mods, or block off the LOMA oil feed holes, I recommend that you just do it through the computer, because when you block off the holes, you will still have to reflash the PCM/VCM for new spark and fuel maps
AnEvilPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
SS w/ AFM Question

I'm not sure if this has been answered before (I usually skip most of the engine threads) but this has been bugging me since the info was revealed.

Is there a reason we can't get the SS manual tranny with AFM? Is it because AFM isn't compatible with a stick or is it because the LS3 can't take that technology for some reason?

I'm curious because I was really hoping to get a V8 stick that got at least 25mpg's, if not more. I know the final numbers aren't out yet and I plan on waiting a year or so anyways so I'll be able to see what everyone is getting in the real world, but I was just curious why the AFM tech wasn't making it onto the V8 sticks.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #22
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
AFM does not work with a manual due to computer not knowing what gear you're going to go in etc. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #23
jmliptak

Drives: D
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
AFM does not work with a manual due to computer not knowing what gear you're going to go in etc. . .

There is a whole thread out there on this. The L99 is an LS3 with the AFM essentially, if Whiterag is around (he posted earlier in the engine forum) he can likely provide additional details.
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:40 AM   #24
tsg1391

Drives: 79 formula 'bird, 5th gen soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEvilPenguin View Post
YES there is a really annoying sound when the afm is cutting off the 4 cylinders WHILE you have a loud exhaust, the exhaust sounds like a big 4 banger with a bad wrist pin
that is what i thought, but thanks for clearing up that we can tune it out... i guess i will take mine to a tuner to get it taken out after i get an exhaust put on
tsg1391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 AM   #25
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
You can tune it out, but seriously, all your going to gain is lost fuel mileage. It turns off in milliseconds, and you won't have any idea when it's actually working other than the MPG goes up.

I can understand the 'old school' thought process that would want it turned off, but i can also give you the opinion of driving a G8, and you can't tell it's on, it's really a good thing.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #26
gunslinger

Drives: 1998 Z28 M6
There HAS to be some sort of accellerated wear from the engine firing on only 1/2 the cylinders and creating some "unusual" harmonics for a V8...
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #27
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
You can tune it out, but seriously, all your going to gain is lost fuel mileage. It turns off in milliseconds, and you won't have any idea when it's actually working other than the MPG goes up.

I can understand the 'old school' thought process that would want it turned off, but i can also give you the opinion of driving a G8, and you can't tell it's on, it's really a good thing.
I don't think it is a old fashion issue...it's the desire in the future to tune it for max performance and the likely-hood of encountering problems while doing so. Removing it for the hell of it or the sound is stupid.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #28
AnEvilPenguin

Drives: 05 Impala SS 86 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
There HAS to be some sort of accellerated wear from the engine firing on only 1/2 the cylinders and creating some "unusual" harmonics for a V8...
the engine is still balanced, it seems like people are not really understanding the DOD/AFM, it does not just shut off 1/2 the engine, it shuts off 2 out side cylinders on one bank, and the 2 inside cylinders on the other bank, making the engine fire,miss,fire,miss,fire,miss,fire,miss, and repeat.... no odd vibrations are created because a smooth firing pattern is kept, now, if it was fire,fire,miss,fire,miss,miss,fire,miss, and repeat... That would be a completly different story
AnEvilPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote