Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #85
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Wow nice work!
So what's the total cost? Read the whole thread so not sure if I missed it
I would lOve to do orange up grit and red in the back with IOM and tinted strip
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #86
Bill F

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS 2005 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
Any suggestions on how to split the sidemarker apart? I did the baking thing. Ended up warping one of them.
That sucks. No offense, but I'm glad someone else besides me had a less than ideal outcome to a DIY. This was on my list to do, but I'm thinking this is one thing I just need to drop the $$ on instead of rigging it up myself.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #87
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
That sucks. No offense, but I'm glad someone else besides me had a less than ideal outcome to a DIY. This was on my list to do, but I'm thinking this is one thing I just need to drop the $$ on instead of rigging it up myself.
I wouldn't rate this DIY in the easy category. I did it myself because I could. If you believe this is outside your comfort zone then buy the AAC ones. That's the beauty of DIY's some are more challenging but more rewarding too.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:01 PM   #88
Bill F

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS 2005 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
I wouldn't rate this DIY in the easy category. I did it myself because I could. If you believe this is outside your comfort zone then buy the AAC ones. That's the beauty of DIY's some are more challenging but more rewarding too.
I think I could do it, it's just the separating the lens from the body that would be the most pain for someone with my low level of patience.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #89
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill F View Post
I think I could do it, it's just the separating the lens from the body that would be the most pain for someone with my low level of patience.
Bill its really not that hard. You can do it. Just get a nice fresh utility knife and score the line over and over until it snaps open.
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Old 02-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #90
Drakin

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
Wow nice work!
So what's the total cost? Read the whole thread so not sure if I missed it
I would lOve to do orange up grit and red in the back with IOM and tinted strip
The red led's are 32.99 each

The amber led's are 33.80 each

for a total of 133.58 + 9.00 shipping
Drakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #91
TJ91

Wow thats a little more expensive then I though but still cheaper then AAC. Interesting. I've done the afterburners myself so sure I can do this myself as well. Seems possible for me. Only thing I want is how the AAC ones is clear over the leds. I wonder how they did that since the lens is textured
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #92
Mach

Quote:
Wow thats a little more expensive then I though but still cheaper then AAC. Interesting. I've done the afterburners myself so sure I can do this myself as well. Seems possible for me. Only thing I want is how the AAC ones is clear over the leds. I wonder how they did that since the lens is textured
Yes its a little much but it's much cheaper then AAC plus you can do it yourself (Do it right). Also Radiantz offers a lifetime warranty.

The texture makes no difference plus you retain your reflector. It's still bright as hell. Lights up cars around me at night. I like mine more then AAC because I made the slit where the light shines through 1/8 of an inch. Much thinner then AAC. And for me I think that looks way better.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #93
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
I believe they make their own lenses (clear) and housings from a mold taken from the factory ones. So it's easier for them because they don't need to separate the lenses, just put it all together. I could be wrong. You could buy a set of sidemarkers with clear lenses on eBay, but then you'd be paying about the same buying them from AAC after everything.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #94
TJ91

Quote:
Yes its a little much but it's much cheaper then AAC plus you can do it yourself (Do it right). Also Radiantz offers a lifetime warranty.

The texture makes no difference plus you retain your reflector. It's still bright as hell. Lights up cars around me at night. I like mine more then AAC because I made the slit where the light shines through 1/8 of an inch. Much thinner then AAC. And for me I think that looks way better.
This is why doing it on my own is a must! Because I know if I screw up, ill make sure it looks perfect. And I love the thinner slit! Definitly going to do this sometime this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
I believe they make their own lenses (clear) and housings from a mold taken from the factory ones. So it's easier for them because they don't need to separate the lenses, just put it all together. I could be wrong. You could buy a set of sidemarkers with clear lenses on eBay, but then you'd be paying about the same buying them from AAC after everything.
Oh that makes sense, yeah not worth the hasstle and money to make it clear, ill just do it the way Mach did. It looks great!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #95
jlugo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 1LE 'Summit White'
Cool

Quote:

'Showstopper' wants $475 (-$100 refund for core) for their Concept LED Side Markers...
Attached Images

jlugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #96
jlugo
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
"CAMARO CLEAR SIDE MARKER" $69.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-CAMARO-...85437467489842
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #97
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
I guess if you got those you'd still be saving money.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #98
jlugo
Account Suspended

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlugo View Post
Almost done!...
I'm done with the project..."for now"
Attached Images