Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
frank1557
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange RS
I'm in the process of building my car for the road course and have done everything from splitters to functioning diffusers. I'm doing the drilled and slotted rotors and SS brake lines. My question now is if I change brake fluid is it ok to use this permanently even for just everyday use when I'm not on the track?
frank1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
frank1557
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange RS
This is regarding the srf and/or the motul
frank1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #17
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I found this thread the other day with lots of brake fluid information including a chart that shows all the brands wet and dry boiling points. It even defines the difference between the two and how they apply to your use of the car as a daily driver or race car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7052809

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I've used the Wilwood 570 brake fluid with good results. I was thinking of switching to the stuff Pete at Pedders recommends....I would have to find the thread that had the name...
Hi SoCalCamaro,

Good to know that you have very good experience with the Wilwood 570 brake fluid.

Presently I own a '14 Corvette Stingray Z51, and in the past I have used Dot4 on a couple of my cars without issues, but after reading my Corvette's owner manual I noticed that they don't suggest for daily usage the DOT 4 fluid, only for track usage and afterwards go back to DOT3. Also I read somewhere else that DOT 4 needs more changes than the regular DOT 3 brake fluid.

I like spirited driving and maybe I would go back occasionally to a DE track event. The last time that I went with my C7 Z51 with stock fluid, it boiled.

After reading about the high boiling point of the Wilwood 570 DOT 3, I got very interested on it. Please share me your experience while using it. I try to google it and there are not many reviews information about it, and will like to try it on my Stingray Z51.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #19
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Just put SRF in mine. Brakes aren't worth taking a chance. Road and normal spirited driving it wouldnt matter and Motul 600 is what I used to tun and ran in my bikes based on smaller bottles. Stepped up to SRF for some potential track time
Old 05-07-2018, 09:25 PM   #20
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
, but after reading my Corvette's owner manual I noticed that they don't suggest for daily usage the DOT 4 fluid, only for track usage and afterwards go back to DOT3. Also I read somewhere else that DOT 4 needs more changes than the regular DOT 3 brake fluid.
DOT 4 is interchangeable with DOT 3 and it doesn't need to be changed more often. DOT 4 is superior, plain and simple. The boiling point is higher. Dealers sell DOT 3 so they say your car needs DOT 3 and should be changed with your dealer...see a pattern?
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #21
QUICRNU

Drives: Z06 wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1557 View Post
I'm in the process of building my car for the road course and have done everything from splitters to functioning diffusers. I'm doing the drilled and slotted rotors and SS brake lines. My question now is if I change brake fluid is it ok to use this permanently even for just everyday use when I'm not on the track?
All day everyday is fine.

If you run it hard at the course it is advisable to change after the session too.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #22
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
DOT 4 is interchangeable with DOT 3 and it doesn't need to be changed more often. DOT 4 is superior, plain and simple. The boiling point is higher. Dealers sell DOT 3 so they say your car needs DOT 3 and should be changed with your dealer...see a pattern?
Depends on the DOT 4. The higher the temp, the more often it has to be changed.

I have a road course race car that I use Castrol SRF in. It has such a high temp rating, achieved because it basically cannot absorb any moisture. If I leave it in longer that a year... I made that mistake once... the caliper pistons will be covered in rust. It has no way of absorbing any moisture that has gotten in the system. So, no biggie I just have to remember to change that fluid more often.

Stuff like Motul RBF 600 can be left in a couple years. I use that in my 1LE. Works great for track days and street, and less frequent changes than a SRF. But...if it's a race car that will be glowing the rotors, need something like SRF.

Within Dot 4 there is a wide range of fluids and boiling point ratings. Everything from high perf street to full on race. And crap sold at grocery stores with a Dot 4 that is really no better than Dot 3.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 PM   #23
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Use superblue, one can, will have some left over. Next time use the amber version of superblue. This way u can always tell difference. By the way, the gm guys used superblue on the gingermna media event with the first 1LE tests. I forgot which article mentioned the superblue. Its made by continental, which is a large automotive supplier for brake parts too.
SuperBlue is illegal in Florida & other States
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #24
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Hi SoCalCamaro,

Good to know that you have very good experience with the Wilwood 570 brake fluid.

Presently I own a '14 Corvette Stingray Z51, and in the past I have used Dot4 on a couple of my cars without issues, but after reading my Corvette's owner manual I noticed that they don't suggest for daily usage the DOT 4 fluid, only for track usage and afterwards go back to DOT3. Also I read somewhere else that DOT 4 needs more changes than the regular DOT 3 brake fluid.

I like spirited driving and maybe I would go back occasionally to a DE track event. The last time that I went with my C7 Z51 with stock fluid, it boiled.

After reading about the high boiling point of the Wilwood 570 DOT 3, I got very interested on it. Please share me your experience while using it. I try to google it and there are not many reviews information about it, and will like to try it on my Stingray Z51.
I see he didn't answer, but I'll chime in. I've been running the Wilwood EXP 600 Plus fluid for a few years now. Change it out 3 times a year pending on how much track time I do. Never had a single issue nor boiled it at any point.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #25
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post
Motul RBF 600, Wilwood 600, Superblue or Castrol SRF. Canīt go wrong with any of those!

/Erik
ATE is no longer super blue, but they still kick ass. That's the only brand I use in any of my cars, trucks, or motorcycles. I've boiled too many others to bother trying them again. WET boiling point is amazing with ATE and that's why I use it in all of my vehicles.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #26
K's Speed & Sound

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss rs
I run Amsoil dot 4 in my person car and my customers cars and they LOVE IT. Also run it as clutch fluid I have remote reservoir .
K's Speed & Sound is offline   Reply With Quote