Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the Mustang?
Hate it. Plain and simple. 11 7.19%
Improvement... but not my cup of Tea 27 17.65%
Love it, its my next car. 25 16.34%
Its cool, but its not a Camaro. 90 58.82%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #239
Fireball

Drives: Turbocharged
2010 Mustang GT vs 2010 Camaro SS

I had a chance to drive a 2010 Mustang GT Premium. Here are my thoughts:

* Kona blue w/silver painted rims looks beautiful

* Base interior is really nice, but I prefer the Premier Interior upgrade

* Engine/exhaust note sounds great inside the car and behind the car

* $32k for GT Premium w/3.73 axle package is a good price

Now on to the test drive. First thing I noticed was the 3.73 gears. The last Mustang GT I drove was a 2008 with 3.31 or 3.55 gears. This 2010 Mustang GT felt more responsive and fun to drive. The engine sound was better -- more aggressive -- coming into the cabin, probably from the induction tube.

I pulled out of the parking lot and stepped on it a bit. Nice acceleration with even better sound. Going around a long turn, the car cornered fairly flat with little body roll, but the car felt slow (no Track Pack option). It felt like if I stepped on the throttle some more, the front end would plow into the guardrail, yet if I really stepped on the gas, the back end would kick out. Either way I did not want to wreck a brand new Mustang.

I stepped on the throttle on the open road. Easy, effortless acceleration to 65 mph with superb sound. However, the car did not feel really fast. It sounded faster than it felt. Going over potholes, the backend felt a bit jittery, but the car tracked well and felt safe.

Low-speed driving is fine; the car is quiet and comfortable to drive slow. Driving fast seemed to make the manual shifter hesitate just a bit between gears.

Overall the new Mustang GT looks, sounds, feels, and drives good. My biggest concern is that compared to my stock 2009 WRX, the Mustang doesn't feel very fast around turns or in a straight line. It probably is fast on instrumented testing with correction factors and such as done by the auto rags. But I was hoping for a more visceral feel, and really didn't feel much.

I was able to check out a 2010 Camaro SS, and in my personal opinion, the Camaro SS has much more presence. To my surprise, I liked the interior of the Camaro better than the Mustang. (It was a loaded Camaro with an MSRP probably north of $36k). I wasn't able to drive the Camaro because it is the car dealership's owner's personal ride right now, but I was able to start it up and rev it. While the Mustang GT sounded racecar-like in a high-frequency way, the Camaro SS sounded downright mean, like a big block powerhouse in a low-frequency way.

Especially menacing was tapping the throttle to about 3k rpm and feeling the engine rock the car. You can just SENSE the power. Too bad the Camaro weighs 2 tons. But that powerful rocking of the car reminded me of my 1970 Buick GS Stage 1 -- a real blast from the past. Wicked, especially juxtaposing it to my blender on steroids (WRX).

Overall, I think it comes down to personal preference as to which car is better to purchase. I can tell you from personal experience that the Mustang GT hardly got any looks while the Camaro SS had people driving by turn their necks, beep their horn, stop, get out, look at it, talk about it, etc. As far as performance, I didn't drive the Camaro, so I cannot comment on how they compare.

The other wild card is the Camaro's parent company, GM. It looks like they are marching into bankruptcy, and all the negative connotations this implies. Ford, on the other hand, appears to be on better financial ground.

If I could give advice on these cars, I would say the Camaro SS is the standout car. But if you must get a Mustang, wait for the Track Pack (summer 2009)...or better yet, wait for the upcoming 5.0 liter Coyote engine (fall 2010). Of course, you should not take my advice but instead go and check out these cars yourself!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #240
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
One thing I would like to clear up and have been trying to clear on this forum for a while now, is that GM filing bankruptcy is not a negative thing.

If (and that's a huge if) GM has to file bankruptcy they will be in and out of it quickly and nothing will change except for internal company restructuring.
The chance of bankruptcy alone should not be a reason to re-consider a Camaro or any GM vehicle for that matter.

With that being said, good review, and let us know what you think after you get to test drive a Camaro.

Oh and yes and I am being serious.
please ignore the pink milk carton.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #241
DanielleAnne

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 75 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
One thing I would like to clear up and have been trying to clear on this forum for a while now, is that GM filing bankruptcy is not a negative thing.

If (and that's a huge if) GM has to file bankruptcy they will be in and out of it quickly and nothing will change except for internal company restructuring.
The chance of bankruptcy alone should not be a reason to re-consider a Camaro or any GM vehicle for that matter.

With that being said, good review, and let us know what you think after you get to test drive a Camaro.

I agree....
Hi Milk
Old 05-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #242
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleAnne View Post
I agree....
Hi Milk
Hello.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #243
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Haha, i've got a shake and you've got a carton.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #244
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Hello.
Hey you two...get a room!
Old 05-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #245
Z/28orSs

Drives: 2000 ss
Quote:

Old 05-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #246
GTengineer

Drives: 2004 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
it was at 12,000 when i posted technically that is a mustang STARTING at 12,000

gtengineer you dont get the joke do you. :(
lol went right by
Old 05-08-2009, 09:17 PM   #247
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTengineer View Post
lol went right by
ehem, the poster said it's impossible finding a mustang starting at 12k well ebay is a bid site, so that mustang was ACTUALLY starting at 12k... lol get it? technicalities ftw
Old 05-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #248
henrycotton

Drives: 07 Suburban LTZ and loving it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
this 2010 mustang is indeed STARTING at 12k, someone owes me a car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-...1%7C240%3A1318
ended at $18,100, and did not sell??? its not worth 16k IMHO!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #249
RobH

Drives: 2010 IBM 1LT RS M6
Quote:
Your points are good, but it could cause more delays if suppliers wait until all the financing is in place, guaranteed by the gov't, and approved by the court before shipping to GM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #250
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
Hey you two...get a room!

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
Old 05-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #251
John Farnen

Drives: 1969 RSSS Convertable
Mustang GTs arn't worth 12K! Dealers are getting 12K and more over msrp for the Camaro!
Old 05-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #252
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
I saw both in person yesterday up close. The passenger side of the camaro interior is not nearly as bad as what it's made out to be and the dash buttons and stuff were Honda-esque. But I will say the dash on the driver side (speedo & tach) were HIDEOUS. They looked extremely cheap. Also, the plastic on the dash board all across was a little cheap as well, but not too bad. They should have just thrown the G8 interior in there, it was much better. I was surprised by how tiny the front windshield was and the rear visibility was quite lacking as well.

Closed Thread