Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 06-02-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Stroker
Boost God

Drives: Black 95 Z/28
plans for the 95 (final)

so i've got my 95.i changed my budget to 5k.. when i find the right deals this is what i'm most likely going to do... LS block *most likely refurb LS shortblock* , Trick flow heads, cam, Weiand intake manifold... and the best part a Gt28 turbo i picked up today for 600 dollars it's used but i'm sending it back to Garrett to have it inspected for 125 dollars plus shipping and if anything is wrong of course i'll pay for that but on my inspection it seems to be in great shape... i was looking to make just 500 hp with my original budget but thats gonna be blown out of the water i figure i'll make the money back when i sell the car which i'll have put the original LT1 back in of course i'll have it completely rebuilt for future owner... and i'll keep this monster for something else maybe my dad would like it when he gets around to building his 70' chevelle... and questions or better yet anyone have better ideas for a 5k budget LS monster... also i do heave a bit of advantage in my budget i can get my dad's shop's discount on products from Jegs, Summit, and Pace
Old 06-03-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Stroker
Boost God

sent the garrett turbo off today i'll know how it is in a few days. also i found a promising LS1 shortblock that has been sleeved by darton and was used for drag racing the man wants $900 bucks for it and it needs new sleeves and probably a new rotating assembly since it was drag raced but it's been sleeved!! lol it's got its cons and pros... cons it was beaten up but pros is it was sleeved the guy told me i could get my money back if it didn't work and i belive him i don't think 900 dollars means that much too him if u saw his stuff u would belive me. he upgraded to the world products ls7x anyways i also got the pricing for the Trickflow heads and cam... together i can get them from my dads shop for $1500, weiand LS aluminium intake manifold $560, complete electronics including engine management harness, ECM, and even MSD $1720 jegs prices were cheapest... so now if i buy that engine i just have to check the bottom end out and check the sleeves if everything is good and i cross my fingers i'll be well within my budget
Old 06-04-2008, 02:21 AM   #3
Stroker
Boost God

Today i hit the telephone and garage hard.. first i called the man back with the sleeved LS1 and told him i would be there around 10 to pick it up, called my dads shop, called summit ordered the MSD coils packs, called Jegs ordered the Harness and ECM.. then i drove to the Carquest up the road to pick up some seafoam and ya'll know where this is going... i seafoamed my engine as i was supposed to i picked up some cheap quaker state high mileage oil added 10 ounces of seafoam in and decided to drive to my parents house in birmingham which is a good 100 mile round trip went to lunch and after everything was said and done and i got back to the house i had about 200 miles on my car with the seafoam and just like it was supposed to it smoked like a freight train for the first 20 miles then it cleared up reasonably so i put the car back up on jacks and attacked my big magnet to the drain plug to pull metal pieces if any to the area around the plug, i drained the oil and holy crap was it nasty it went from a nice gold to a pitchblack mess in 200 miles.. so i put some better Amsoil 0-30 now i changed the oil filter instead of earlier and the butt test says i restored atleast 10 horsepower lol.. then i figured the inside of the engine was clean why not the outside i went walmart bought 2 2 gallon bottles of Purple power and went clean the engine and after about an hour and a half i finished and it was looking great but in the process i found out i'm going to need a new Radiator :( it's got about 5 holes in it that have been stopped up using that metal puddy stuff... wasn't too thrilled about that... then i turned to the inside of the car and whoa $21.72 dollars in change ... so then i diluted some purple power in water and scrubbed the years of mistreatment out of the paint made sure i washed everything off really good then i used meguiars ultimate detailer to remove any purple power i might have missed and then meguiars cleaner wax and the vehicle looks so much better.. btw about 2 cups of purple power per gallon of water is safe for your paint and removes everything else very easily... so i only had 2 dissapointments today the radiator and the weiand intake manifold is on backorder from jegs so i think my day went really well
Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 AM   #4
Stroker
Boost God

Started searching for a tranny today.. the one for the engine lol.. i found a few promising deals but i'm no where near needing it yet... I'm driving around today loving the way the seafoam treatment worked out and some 5hitty-0 mustang pulls up to me at a redlight and i figure why not... so we took off of course i have my 10.5s on and he looks like he's got skinny's all the way around lol so i stroke him by about 3-4 car links i was very happy with the little LT-1 so i slow down and of course he does the loser flyby and boom theirs the real 5-0 lol sheriff got him then i was very pleased with myself for slowing down... but as for the progress i made today... the LS-1 is completely stripped apart and very very clean now.. and i ordered my weiant intake manifold from pace performance so now i've got pretty much everything i'll need with the exception of the rods to lower the compression and well thats it for today
Old 06-06-2008, 02:03 AM   #5
Stroker
Boost God

Garrett called me back today... the turbo i sent them flowed 15 minutes on a flow bench before locking up... so i suppose i'm changing my plans i ordered a Turbonetics HP-72 Super T turbo charger...so i'm thinking single massive turbo dual exhaust fed... atleast their will be less piping involved.. the turbo is designed to run at 25+ psi but i'll keep it safe inbetween 15-20 maybe 25 when i blow my brothers doors off.. so i lost 725 b/c of that turbo but i simplified my plans a bit... sheesh i also ordered a new radiator that works well with the LT1 but is meant for LS engines... cash donations accepted!!!