Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
LBreezie

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th anniversary
1969 Firebird Convertible

I know its not a camaro but its the camaro's brother haha anyway I have a project car on my hands and was wondering what you guys would think of doing to it? stripes? keep all original? replace anything? Tell me what you think about the car.
Here is the video to watch my walk around of it and how far we got with it so far. I ripped the whole interior out to see if there were any rust holes.
LBreezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
LBreezie

bump
Old 01-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
duffman

Drives: 67 firebird
well it depends what you want to do with it? I have a 67 and im trying to keep it as orginal as possible even though i already had to replace alot of parts on it due to rust and plus i have a 350 chevy in it so guess i gotta look for a good pontiac engine.

Race stripes dont seem to look as cool on early firebirds then camaro's unless it has the trans am look but that's just me I would proably put a cleaner shade of red on it.
please dont try to convert it into a 69 camaro even though you can get the 67-69 firebirds cheaper for some reason there more rare then camaro's
duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
LBreezie

Should I buy some torq thrusts? I need oppinions on what I should do to the rims. Suggest different types?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Roll_the_Dice

Drives: 2012 Summit White Camaro 2LT
I am going to look at a 68 Firebird coupe in tomorrow morning. If I buy it, I am trying to decide what to do cosmetically as well. I am going to research the VIN and figure out original color and trim level. I will most likely try and keep it mostly original unless it is not a matching #s car.

Most Firebirds I have seen don't have stripes, so I doubt I would do a stripe. The one I am looking at has the hood scoops and tach on the hood so I don't think stripes would look good. For the wheels, I am thinking either original Pontiac wheels or something similar to the era like this:
Attached Images

2003 Audi A4 Convertible Silver Auto (sold)
1999 Ford F150 (sold)
2008 Porsche 911 Convertible Atlas Gray M6 (sold)
2007 Corvette Lemans Blue M6 (sold)
2004 BMW 645 ci Convertible Black Metallic (sold)
2000 Dodge Dakota sport Navy (sold)
1999 Porsche Boxster Black Metallic M5 (sold)
1999 Ferrari 360 Modena Titanium F1 (sold)
1992 BMW 325i 2 door Alpine white (sold)
1990 Nissan 240SX Burgundy M6 (sold)
1979 Celica Blue M5 (sold)
1974 Mustang II Ghia Green (sold)
Roll_the_Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
LBreezie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_the_Dice View Post
I am going to look at a 68 Firebird coupe in tomorrow morning. If I buy it, I am trying to decide what to do cosmetically as well. I am going to research the VIN and figure out original color and trim level. I will most likely try and keep it mostly original unless it is not a matching #s car.

Most Firebirds I have seen don't have stripes, so I doubt I would do a stripe. The one I am looking at has the hood scoops and tach on the hood so I don't think stripes would look good. For the wheels, I am thinking either original Pontiac wheels or something similar to the era like this:
Torq thrusts are nice. I was looking into them. Im waiting on a nice used pair that I can get for maybe 3/4 the price. Right now my Firebird is sitting down my uncles chevy dealership in the body shop, waiting for the day I begin working on it again. So far I have just given the car a rebuilt engine with a clean engine compartment.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
Check out this 69 Firebird on youtube.This may give you some ideas.
It's painted in the rare Winward blue metallic.listen to that lopey idle...Awesome!BTW this Firebird has Torque thrust 2 wheels.

Last edited by chevy dude; 05-05-2013 at 08:22 AM.
chevy dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
chevy dude

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBreezie View Post
Should I buy some torq thrusts? I need oppinions on what I should do to the rims. Suggest different types?

if it were my car i'd go with the Torque thrust 2's in 17" or 18",but i guess it all depends on the look your going for,stock,resto-mod,pro touring,custom?Have you had a look at Bonspeed wheels?The Huntington wheel is my favorite.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
My wife wants one of these bad. If it were me (or her) it would be done just like the '69 Trans Am. White with blue stripes, interior and top. Love this look!

Name:  69 firebird.jpg
Views: 4235
Size:  167.8 KB
Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
You have a very solid low value car. This gives you the freedom to do anything you like and you won't kill the value. If this was my car, I would strip it down to the frame and do a resto mod.

Keep that motor and if the rest of the driveline is good, you may want to keep that as well. A TH350 or 400 would work wonderfully in that car btw.

Add disk brakes and suspension upgrades.

The interior is shot so I would have the seats done, get a carpet kit, so on. Clean it up as close to stock as you can get. I would also add the hood with dual inlets and the hood tach. That would be a nice upgrade and will have a factory appearance as well.

Red is a nice color but given that you can do anything you want to this car, I would change it over to blue, black or something a little more aggressive.

No stripes needed on this car. It looks beautiful as it sits.

Get a nice set of stock looking wheels like others have mentioned.

This is a great car for a project though. Do you mind telling me about how much you grabbed it for?
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
LBreezie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
You have a very solid low value car. This gives you the freedom to do anything you like and you won't kill the value. If this was my car, I would strip it down to the frame and do a resto mod.

Keep that motor and if the rest of the driveline is good, you may want to keep that as well. A TH350 or 400 would work wonderfully in that car btw.

Add disk brakes and suspension upgrades.

The interior is shot so I would have the seats done, get a carpet kit, so on. Clean it up as close to stock as you can get. I would also add the hood with dual inlets and the hood tach. That would be a nice upgrade and will have a factory appearance as well.

Red is a nice color but given that you can do anything you want to this car, I would change it over to blue, black or something a little more aggressive.

No stripes needed on this car. It looks beautiful as it sits.

Get a nice set of stock looking wheels like others have mentioned.

This is a great car for a project though. Do you mind telling me about how much you grabbed it for?
Grabbed the car for $1000 off of my dad. He bought it in the late 80s for $1000 I think. He said he bought the car in Florida where he used to live and drove it all the way to PA. After he cut some of the engine bay to make a big block 455 buick fit inside it, after awhile driving the car he spun the rear axle doing a burnout or something. The car sat in one of his mechanic friends lots rotting outside until one day I he decided to pick the car up and I instantly fell in love with it! One of the best looking muscle cars ever made imo.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
The motor alone is worth what you paid...and more if it is a 455 Buick motor. You stole the car but in order to do her up right, you're looking at dropping north of 15k. This assumes that you are outsourcing paint, metal and body work. The floor pans need to be cut out and replaced. I see a lot of metal and body work that needs to done as well. Not to say there is anything alarming, just a healthy pile of work. There are also the things you can't see - yet.

Find a nice garage and get this bird off the frame and build her right. I would also be sure to source a rear that can handle the torque that the motor puts down.

Good luck with this car. It's beautiful.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote