Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
Garret

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Victory Red
Brake Calipers Powder Coating

Approx. how much does it cost to powder coat calipers and do most shops that do this take them off etc?
Garret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Gonna get a lot of answers here. I was quoted $60 per and that was with me doing the work to take them apart.
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Mister-Camaro

Drives: 2011 2SS L99
G2 all the way, saves you money and time. Just consider it
Mister-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I did a caliper paint like g2 and it worked really well.

But if you seriously want to powdercoat, the best option is by mike the powdercoater. He's a member here on the forum that powder coats and has done a lot of people's brakes. The good thing about his method is that with his method you have no down time on your car since he sends you calipers that have already been powdercoated how you want them. Then you send him your stock calipers back.

This way, I'm sure you can take the powdercoated ones to a shop so that they can replace them.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Don't know anything about the cost, but this made me have to tell a story. I went to the dealership to get some part for the camaro and a young kid in highschool went to the parts department because he wanted to buy red calipers for his 2011/12 camaro. The guys at the counter said, "Yeah, we can get them, but you aren't going to buy them." The kid said why not. Guy at the counter said they cost $1600. Kid walked away.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret View Post
Approx. how much does it cost to powder coat calipers and do most shops that do this take them off etc?
When I had it done it was around $330 including shipping. It is not cheap, but turns out way better that paint. It's all what you are willing to spend. As for taking them off... Yes. They have to come off because they are baked. I did mine myself. Very easy. Two bolts, brake line removed, box them up, and send them out. It was like a two day turn around unless you want to do a core swap and he will send you a set of four in the color you want and then you send him yours back. They may still be a wait list for that though.

This is the guy you want. He has done most of the ones you see on here including mine.

http://thepowdercoater.com/

Here is his thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...light=calipers

Here are my results:

Old 08-01-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
newagemuscle, when you got yours back did they go back on real easy or did you have to clean out or tap the insides where the bolts go into?
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
newagemuscle, when you got yours back did they go back on real easy or did you have to clean out or tap the insides where the bolts go into?
No, they went on real easy... did not have to tap anything. If you look at the picture wher they are on my table it looks like he did not powder coat inside the holes. I guess I really never paid attention.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #9
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
I used Mike (thepowdercoater.com) also. I still keep getting compliments on my brakes.

He does a good job and they hold up. I did mine last July and they look as good a year later as the day I put them on.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
I used Mike (thepowdercoater.com) also. I still keep getting compliments on my brakes.

He does a good job and they hold up. I did mine last July and they look as good a year later as the day I put them on.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
newagemuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroshark View Post

Agreed... mine are over two years old and look as goos as the day they arrived at my house.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Deke736
COTW 12/3/12

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray ZL1
Another vote here for Mike! I had him do the calipers on my 2011 SS and they were great! I'm going to have him do them on my ZL1, but I need to find few days to take them off and ship them to him since he doesn't have ZL1 cores to swap.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
xcarolina23

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
OP, I actually called a couple months back and for them to take off, put back on, and bleed the brakes you're looking at over $500 in labor. I can't remember the exact cost so don't kill me on this.

If you can tackle the task yourself PC is the way to go because Mike can turn them around in the low 300's. Because I was nervous to do it myself I went with a custom G2 color and got another can of black to do the rotor hats.

After swapping out my standard brake pads for Hawk Ceramic pads I feel I could have probably have done the rest if I just ordered the PC calipers. DOH!!!

Photo Album:http://www.camaro5.com/forums/album.php?albumid=11844

My Mods: Satin powdercoated wheels, CAI cold air intake with washer fluid tank relocation kit and scoop, Solo cat-back exhaust, jetsream blue G2 caliper paint, blacked out emblems and lights, Gorilla lock lugs, hydro-dipped fuse box cover and strut bar, jetstream blue SS emblems, engine cover, and cold air intake cover, replaced convertible top, and ABL under-dash/dome lights.
xcarolina23 is offline   Reply With Quote