Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 11-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #18173
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
What are you still confused about? The internal design of the mufflers is where the sound is going to be modified. Stock SS mufflers are not gonna get you where you want. And if you're going to put MRT on anyway then its a waste to bother putting the larger mid pipes in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
First of all im not confused about anything. you are the one saying that my idea was a waste of time and i asked why. if i am correct the v6 exhaust is 2.25" so no matter if its name brand or generic pipe is just pipe. (excluding mandrel bend vs crushed bend piping) as stated before i would put in a magnaflow x pipe so its not so raspy and later if i want i can add mufflers if need be. on ebay you can get magnaflow mufflers from $80-100 a pop vs buying the system for $1,400. with the money saved i could buy other parts for the car or just keep that in my pocket.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #18174
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post
First of all im not confused about anything. you are the one saying that my idea was a waste of time and i asked why. if i am correct the v6 exhaust is 2.25" so no matter if its name brand or generic pipe is just pipe. (excluding mandrel bend vs crushed bend piping) as stated before i would put in a magnaflow x pipe so its not so raspy and later if i want i can add mufflers if need be. on ebay you can get magnaflow mufflers from $80-100 a pop vs buying the system for $1,400. with the money saved i could buy other parts for the car or just keep that in my pocket.
I'm the only one saying anything at all about your idea so far. We have seen several people go that route and then have to fix it later because it didn't sound good. But maybe your car will be super different.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #18175
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Mvp I think it may also be a waste to get an SS exhaust and just weld a magnaflow res pipe to it. Honestly it will prob sound just about the same because of those huge bulky mufflers. Now if you were to remove those and get straight pipes and a magnaflow exhaust that would be a slightly better idea. Although idk what sound you are going for. I know a member on here has a vid of his car with just an ss exhaust installed and it isn't that much different. I believe his name is ihaveacamaro.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #18176
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
I agree with camarodreams, there is no way SS piping and some magnaflow resonators is equivalent to a magnaflow catback much less the ARK exhaust. I understand that you're trying to save money but most of the time, when a company makes a catback they don't sell the mufflers sepereately. I'm not 100% sure if that's the case with magnaflow but I know Borla and flowmaster dont. So if you want that specific sound, you're going to have to go with the catback.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #18177
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Mvp I think it may also be a waste to get an SS exhaust and just weld a magnaflow res pipe to it. Honestly it will prob sound just about the same because of those huge bulky mufflers. Now if you were to remove those and get straight pipes and a magnaflow exhaust that would be a slightly better idea. Although idk what sound you are going for. I know a member on here has a vid of his car with just an ss exhaust installed and it isn't that much different. I believe his name is ihaveacamaro.
For the SS setup idea I had it's not to compare to the magnaflow or ark exhaust at all. I know that there is no way the SS stock exhaust with a magnaflow x pipe will sound like those exhaust. My initial goal was to have the 2.5" piping for better flow. Now if I put the SS stock exhaust on with the magnaflow x pipe and I still don't like the sound (which shouldn't be much louder than the V6 stock exhaust) I have the option of slapping on one magnaflow muffler right underneath the car and going straight pipe all the way back or two individual mufflers where the original stock mufflers are. Another option is that I could buy a set of MRT2.0 mufflers and put those on. With that said I would have a full 2.5" exhaust system for the low because most SS guys give them away for little to nothing. Is what I'm saying make sense now? REMEMBER this idea is not to make my car sound like a specific exhaust system on the market, it's just to have a better flowing system to tailor to what you/I want later down the road. In my opinion if you have the SS stock exhaust with the magnaflow x pipe it should sound close to our stock exhaust with better flow. A better flowing exhaust will improve gas mileage and performance when needed, or am I just crazy lol

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #18178
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Ugh Monday already.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #18179
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
game on

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326083
Old 11-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #18180
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
For the SS setup idea I had it's not to compare to the magnaflow or ark exhaust at all. I know that there is no way the SS stock exhaust with a magnaflow x pipe will sound like those exhaust. My initial goal was to have the 2.5" piping for better flow. Now if I put the SS stock exhaust on with the magnaflow x pipe and I still don't like the sound (which shouldn't be much louder than the V6 stock exhaust) I have the option of slapping on one magnaflow muffler right underneath the car and going straight pipe all the way back or two individual mufflers where the original stock mufflers are. Another option is that I could buy a set of MRT2.0 mufflers and put those on. With that said I would have a full 2.5" exhaust system for the low because most SS guys give them away for little to nothing. Is what I'm saying make sense now? REMEMBER this idea is not to make my car sound like a specific exhaust system on the market, it's just to have a better flowing system to tailor to what you/I want later down the road. In my opinion if you have the SS stock exhaust with the magnaflow x pipe it should sound close to our stock exhaust with better flow. A better flowing exhaust will improve gas mileage and performance when needed, or am I just crazy lol

makes sense to me. you want to go up to 2.5" piping. The SS exhaust can be had for cheap, used. I say do it. Then adjust it from there, with different mufflers, etc. Because yes, a full cat back exhaust system will cost you over a grand.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #18181
lscamaro

Quote:

You could definitely do this if you want the 2.5" exhaust. But as you stated earlier, there's really no benefit to it. You don't really gain any power at all and I doubt you'll gain any mpg. I don't think you start to see a benefit to opening up the exhaust until you go FI. For a bolt on v6, you won't gain anything.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #18182
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
You could definitely do this if you want the 2.5" exhaust. But as you stated earlier, there's really no benefit to it. You don't really gain any power at all and I doubt you'll gain any mpg. I don't think you start to see a benefit to opening up the exhaust until you go FI. For a bolt on v6, you won't gain anything.
Now this answer i can take. so our stock exhaust system is just that good huh? mmm in that case buying a full catback wouldn't be necessary, i guess people buy them for the quality of work and a specific sound. in that case if what you are saying is true ill just strap on a pair of MRT2's or magnaflows.

Thanks!

I know Ive been picky but im watching camaro exhaust vidz on youtube all day and im still up in the air about what kind of exhaust setup to go with.
at the end of the day im looking for something that has little to no drone and not raspy at mid range or wot throttle. to me it seems hard to find both.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #18183
lscamaro

Quote:
Now this answer i can take. so our stock exhaust system is just that good huh? mmm in that case buying a full catback wouldn't be necessary, i guess people buy them for the quality of work and a specific sound. in that case if what you are saying is true ill just strap on a pair of MRT2's or magnaflows.

Thanks!

I know Ive been picky but im watching camaro exhaust vidz on youtube all day and im still up in the air about what kind of exhaust setup to go with.
at the end of the day im looking for something that has little to no drone and not raspy at mid range or wot throttle. to me it seems hard to find both.

Yes, our exhaust is really good in terms of flow. The area that you could improve if you wanted to would be the cats. That's the source of gains to be had from the exhaust. That being said, people buy cat backs for the quality like you said. Stainless steel doesn't corrode and it looks good. I understand that choosing an exhaust can be difficult. Everyone has similar tastes. Depending on what you want, you may take a look into the borla pro xs muffler. It's what I have on mine and I love it. If you only add the mufflers, there's no drone whatsoever and no rasp at all. But it's one of the quieter mufflers out there so you won't hear it until you want it to be heard.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #18184
Overflow
Space Shuttle Aficionado

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Bumping this.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #18185
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Yes, our exhaust is really good in terms of flow. The area that you could improve if you wanted to would be the cats. That's the source of gains to be had from the exhaust. That being said, people buy cat backs for the quality like you said. Stainless steel doesn't corrode and it looks good. I understand that choosing an exhaust can be difficult. Everyone has similar tastes. Depending on what you want, you may take a look into the borla pro xs muffler. It's what I have on mine and I love it. If you only add the mufflers, there's no drone whatsoever and no rasp at all. But it's one of the quieter mufflers out there so you won't hear it until you want it to be heard.
I don't think it really has anything to do with the v6 Camaro stock exhaust being that good, but more that because it's a NA motor, the stock exhaust can't be modified in any way, to improve much HP. That's with any and all NA motor cars. changing exhaust will only help turbo'd cars, the most. in regards to hp gains.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #18186
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
As PMC said. Bigger pipes for a v6 doesn't make sense until you are going fi. Plus bigger pipe weighs more!! Adding weight=slower car.

Find a muffler you like and get them welded in.