Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
SSCamaro644

Drives: 2012 2SS Camaro 6spd
Pfadt spring pop and gap

hey guys, i know this subject has been discussed a million times, i have been searching for a while but just havent been able to find an answer so please dont flame me too hard. i just installed a set of pfadt lowering springs on my 2ss. there is the usual gap on top of the strut tower and also popping noises when i turn the steering wheel. i also hear clunking noise almost like there is strut travel in the front when going over bumps. its driving me crazy.

okay, the bushings have not been indexed yet nor an alignment done. does this problem sound like something the alignment and bushing index will fix or do i need to take it back apart and adjust anything before i take it in? thanks for all the help.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
RedRocketSS
BSHU

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel SS
Haha welcome to the crew!! Didnt help for me. Had them installed twice and aligned twice and nothing helped.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
SSCamaro644

Drives: 2012 2SS Camaro 6spd
is this unique to the pfadt springs?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCamaro644 View Post
hey guys, i know this subject has been discussed a million times, i have been searching for a while but just havent been able to find an answer so please dont flame me too hard. i just installed a set of pfadt lowering springs on my 2ss. there is the usual gap on top of the strut tower and also popping noises when i turn the steering wheel. i also hear clunking noise almost like there is strut travel in the front when going over bumps. its driving me crazy.

okay, the bushings have not been indexed yet nor an alignment done. does this problem sound like something the alignment and bushing index will fix or do i need to take it back apart and adjust anything before i take it in? thanks for all the help.
Like you already mentioned the gap between the strut tower and the retaining plate in the engine bay is completely normal, and you will even see it on factory cars. The only condition where that plate is in use is to keep the entire strut assembly in the car while it's hanging on a lift, unless your lifting the wheels off the ground for an extended period of time you're not actually use the retaining plate.

Given the clunking noise over bumps the first thing to check out is the condition of the endlinks. Make sure they've been properly bolted back to the strut housing and sway bar in the front, and the lower control arm and sway bar in the rear. Typically clunking over small bumps can almost always be traced back to endlinks. A great way to test whether the noise is coming from the endlinks or sway bar system is to remove an endlink from one side of the vehicle and go for a quick test drive, chances are the noise will be gone and you've now narrowed the problem down specifically to the sway bar/endlink system.

Also make sure that during your installation the black or clear sleeves installed on the springs were not removed. These are not packing material and will result in unusual noise coming from the springs themselves.

If you have any questions please feel free to shoot us an email or give us a call. You can reach us at 1-888-972-2464 or info@pfadtracing.com
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 18ZL1 02Z-28
SEND EM BACK. THEY CANT FIX THE POP! I'M SORRY YOU HAD TO EXPERIENCE THIS
SOLD! '18 ZL1 Mosiac Blk
SOLD!'16 SS Sedan-Forgestars/ARH/rotofab
TRADED!2014 SS Sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
Old 03-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
fastkevman

Drives: 2011 Victory Red 1SS/RS M6
Quote:
is this unique to the pfadt springs?
That's an interesting term.......my Camaro wasn't screwed up with Pfadt springs on it........it was "unique".
I like that, it turns a negative into something that can sound sort of positive.

Sorry for the sarcasm op, I hope everything works out for you, Good Luck!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
1Camaro2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
The clunking sounds like an installation issue to me. Something must be loose, either in the end links like pfadt stated or the spring is not seated correctly.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
i installed pfadt springs about 6 months ago..... No noise at all.. seems like someone does not know what they are doing!!! Pfadt makes a great product and tests all products thoroughlybefore they hit the Market. One of the great products and vendors we have when it comes to our camaros.
Pfadt is my choise and will continue to BE!!!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

Obviously you haven't researched anything. If you had, you'd know that the gap on top of the strut is NORMAL. It's even there in stock form. As for the popping, some have had issues and i've seen where most of the manufacturers have had this. In most cases it was a bad install but others haven't found the solution. Mine did it as well but it was the lower perch rubbing on the one of the coils. I used a pair of channel locks and ever so slightly bent out the perch in the area that it was rubbing and the noise is now gone. You can look at the lower coils and see if they are rubbing. There will be a small area where you can see the powder coating scratched.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
1Camaro2SS

I installed my springs myself also and my car is still on the jack stands. Until I lower the car to the ground and apply load to the springs, the top plastic bearing housing of the spring will not sit all the way up inside the cavity of the car body therefore it will rub and make noises as you turn the wheels.this noise is not clunking however but it is loud and annoying squeeks. Once you lower the car to the ground make sure the top of the spring is seated all the way up in the cavity then install your top retainer plate. It will then be quiet since there is no friction of rubber rubbing against metal when turning the wheels.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Mine have a slight pop when turning the wheel from a stop. Other than that I love em. I auto x the car and it's my DD. Install and enjoy
Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
1Camaro2SS

You can easily have this same problem if installing stock springs as well. Attention to detail is very important how the parts are seated. Even a professional can easily miss something if rushing the job.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Camaro2SS View Post
I installed my springs myself also and my car is still on the jack stands. Until I lower the car to the ground and apply load to the springs, the top plastic bearing housing of the spring will not sit all the way up inside the cavity of the car body therefore it will rub and make noises as you turn the wheels.this noise is not clunking however but it is loud and annoying squeeks. Once you lower the car to the ground make sure the top of the spring is seated all the way up in the cavity then install your top retainer plate. It will then be quiet since there is no friction of rubber rubbing against metal when turning the wheels.
Huh?

How is your strut assembly staying in place if you haven't installed the top retainer plate?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
1Camaro2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Huh?

How is your strut assembly staying in place if you haven't installed the top retainer plate?
I am referring to the upper strut retainer, not the spring perch retaining plate. When the car is lifted off the ground, the strut assembly is being held by the 2 bottom spindle to strut bolts.The purpose of the upper strut retainer is to hold the strut in place if the 2 spindle bolts are removed. It may also be a support for the hood but I haven't verified that.

Closed Thread