Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 11-05-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
collins8

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Header Install

I am going to install my Kooks headers in the next few days and have some questions. I know I need to remove plugs, and dip stick. I have bought new GM gaskets.
Should I reuse the stock bolts or use the Stage 8 bolts that came with kit?
What is the torque specs for the bolts?
What is the best torque pattern for exhaust flanges. I was thinking working from the center out and that would seat the gaskets the best?
Any other tips would be appreciated.

Rob
collins8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Harley01

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 (red hot)
Agree,,,use the original bolts. I went 15ft lbs final. Be sure to take a look where the dip stick pulls out at down below before you pull it out. It's a hard spot to hit when putting it back. Also you'll find those connections on the o2 sensors at the back of the engine a real bitch to unplug. My hands were just to big. Had the wife's help on those ones!! There's a keeper that has to be pulled back before they will come undone. Disconnect the rear o2 sensors first so you can see what they look like. Take your time. It took me way longer than I thought it would, but it was worth it. Car felt way more snappy. Also you MUST get a tune to get the rear o2 sensors turned off if you're going cat delete or you'll get a CEL code. I used 2" kooks. Had to remove (cut off) that boot on the steering shaft. No big thing, still looks fine. Also, if your working off ramps and not a lift, you have to go a little higher on the drivers side when it comes time to put in that side. You need to tip the header down and arrow it up in there. Its tight but once its in no problem. I recommend Jennetty Racing (Ted)............Rick
Harley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
collins8

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Will the Stock Plug wires clear the Kooks 1 7/8 headers?
collins8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Harley01

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 (red hot)
I used my stock wires, also installed NGK TR7IX plugs. All wires cleared except one. The 2nd one in on the driver's side, the plug boot touched the header pipe so I wrapped some tin foil around the boot to protect it. Been that way for two months, no problems. My headers are Kooks 2" coated.
Harley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #5
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
Good luck and just remember to install the o2 sensors 1st before you try and install them, makes it a little easier than once there in. Love KOOKS and that's just my .02
Blaque Diamond Wheels BD23's 20x10, Hankook V12 275, AAC footwell lighting, Switchback LED's, AAC Mailslot scanner, AAC underhood, grill & underbody led lighting, AAC Plasma fogs, Eagle eye HIDs, RJT Painted calipers, RJT painted engine bay, Viteese Paddle Shifters, CFD Hurst style Shifter, RJT painted speedo & gauge trim, RotoFab CAI, TSP 2" Headers with full 3" XS Power exhaust, Granatelli Slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads, ACS Side Rockers, ACS Front splitter, ZL1 Grill, Havoc Rear diffuser, BMR 1.4 Springs, BMR Strut tower brace, BMR F/R Sway Bars, BMR Trailing Arms,
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote