Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
RED 2012

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS, 2012 2SS/RS
Flowmaster vs Borla

I have a 2012 ss with an Ls3 and the oem GFX kit. It has kooks LT headers and HF cats hooked upto the factory catback. Although it sounds nice I would want it to be louder especially at idle.
Im debating whether I should go for the Borla ATAK or the Flowmaster catback.
It seems like the ATAK is the loudest out there but at the same time I like the tone of the Flowmaster.
On the borla ATAK what I don't like is the price.

So which should I go with?

Also since the Flowmaster is not a straight thru muffler like the ones on the borla, is there any loss in hp at all?
RED 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Plenty of other options out there as well. MBRP comes to mind since they make a nice system that fits the GFX perfectly! We have plenty of GFX options, check out our site and shop around and hit us up for a Camaro5 discount. You might want to hear some in person first with headers! These systems are completley different with headers!
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
RED 2012

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS, 2012 2SS/RS
I've heard the mbrp and i dont like the sound.
Plus I dont like the rectangular type exhaust tips. I prefer the round style that will fit with the gfx kit like the ones on the flowmaster system.

I have it narrowed down to either the flowmaster american thunder or the borla atak.

The main thing i want to kno is if there will be a loss in power between the ones the flowmaster system uses vs the straight through type like the Borla?

I might end up just goin with the flowmaster since it's like 500 bucks cheaper than the Borla.
RED 2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED 2012 View Post
I have a 2012 ss with an Ls3 and the oem GFX kit. It has kooks LT headers and HF cats hooked upto the factory catback. Although it sounds nice I would want it to be louder especially at idle.
Im debating whether I should go for the Borla ATAK or the Flowmaster catback.
It seems like the ATAK is the loudest out there but at the same time I like the tone of the Flowmaster.
On the borla ATAK what I don't like is the price.

So which should I go with?

Also since the Flowmaster is not a straight thru muffler like the ones on the borla, is there any loss in hp at all?
The price difference is due to the Borla systems being 304 stainless steel and Flowmaster uses the cheaper 400 series stainless. It is one of those, "you get what you pay for" situations. If you want louder check out the Stainless Works Retro Chambered. It is louder than the ATAK and has a much deeper muscle car tone. Price wise it is right in between your two current contenders.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
BOSS_HOSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I've owned Flowmaster in the past, and currently own S-Type Borla on my 2010 LS3 Camaro and in my opinion the quality between the two is night and day. The Borla is simply better made and of much higher quality...of course its priced accordingly...but worth every penny knowing it won't rust through in a few years like my Flowmasters.
2010 2SS/RS 1 7/8" Long Tube American Racing Headers w/high flow cats, Borla S-Type Catback Exhaust, Roto-Fab CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Shifter, JRE 445 Street Cam Package tuned via SCT, Pedders Street 1 Kit.
BOSS_HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
fastfreddie
FreakyFast!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS S/C NicKey #55
I've got Borla Shorty Headers with the Borla Atak Cat Back. I absolutely love the sound of this system. I don't think you would be dissatisfied with the Borla Atak. I also purchased it from Chase (APEX) and highly recommend them.

Good luck on your decision!

2010 2SS/RS #55 NicKey Stage 2S Super-Camaro custom painted by Pete (Mr. Showstopper)
Build Thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250743
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
ATAK sounds really raspy with headers. i wont never run it with headers. but its probably the best sounding system for people without headers in my personal opinion.

look at borla S-type.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
I've got Borla Shorty Headers with the Borla Atak Cat Back. I absolutely love the sound of this system. I don't think you would be dissatisfied with the Borla Atak. I also purchased it from Chase (APEX) and highly recommend them.

Thank you for your business and the mention. We sincerely appreciate both.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post

Notice a butt dyno difference w/the Shorty headers?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
Cpanthers85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
I have the Flowmasters with Kooks headers with cats. It's really loud at initial start up but once it mellows out, its not that much louder than stock. Even puttsing it around, its not really any louder with headers, but once you stand on it, it is very loud. My friends like to joke around and say that the "beast from Hell is unleashed". I heard the Borla Attak with no cats the other day, and I almost wish I would have went that route, but my neighbors probably would have been pissed.

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
ATAK sounds really raspy with headers. i wont never run it with headers. but its probably the best sounding system for people without headers in my personal opinion.

look at borla S-type.
+1 on S-type. Mine got louder with the headers and cats and I'm glad I went with the S-type over the ATAK. IMO, ATAK is great is you don't plan on headers.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
From what I understand borla, mbrp, jba all have massive amounts of drone. I'm not sure about the Flowmaster American Thunder, any of the Stainless Works, Kooks or ARH exhausts. I know Corsa doesn't drone though.

What are you looking for? 2.5" piping or 3" piping. Do you care about mandrel bends, or are pressure bends fine? Do you want a true 3" exhaust system all the way through?

i currently have the Hushpower mufflers because they're straight through performance and the tone is more to my liking. They're connected to a 3" piping that extends to 3" collectors in the long tube headers so at no point does my exhaust bottle neck into a 2.5" piping allowing my supercharged engine to breath easier. Without a power adder 3" piping isn't really necessary but it allows for a deeper exhaust note as well.

We need a little more information before we can really help you. We can give our opinions on brands, but that's about it.

Stainl
Old 03-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I can speak for JBA - lots of drone, but worth it
Old 03-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #14
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
I had my flowmasters for over 2 years now and I dont regret the sound one bit.