Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want a more powerful version of the Camaro(Z28)?
Yes 836 76.07%
No 263 23.93%
Voters: 1099. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2009, 06:55 AM   #1541
Aldrich Z06

Drives: 02 z06,10 2SS/RS, 04 Duramax,11 335
I would like to see GM build the Z28 again. I remember the first Z28 I ever saw. It was a 68 red with black stripes, a guy in our neighborhood bought.
Wish I had that car today!
Aldrich Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #1542
SSCamaroZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
The Z28 is necessary in a market like this, we are the only car left without a true top model. It is one of those image things that will bring people in to see the cars and an example of what the company can do. This car deserves it, we deserve it, especially if the car continues to sell good. The Z28 was our racecar then our top model for most of the Camaros existence, to not have it around in some form just isn't right. The SS name is not nearly as important to the Camaro as Z28 is.
2013 Camaro ZL1 M6 Black/Black 21,000 miles. #6944 of 7956. 1 of 1208 black manual coupes.
SSCamaroZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 AM   #1543
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
UP!

Just in case some GM people come on camaro5 ... just to tell 'em: WE STILL WANT A 550 HP Z28
Old 06-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #1544
bossbunny
Mrs. Bunny to you

Drives: Not a Camaro
Idk if this has been posted yet, i posted it in another thread tho. In the new hot rodding mag it says "Bye bye Z28: With GM Performance Division disbanded and all its employees reassigned to other divisions, the Z/28 super Camaro program has been cancelled. According to the Chevy executives we spoke to, the Z/28's engineering, validation, and component sourcing was already completed when the plug was puled. Don't blame Chevy though. The timing couldn't have been worse, with the bailout hearings in Washington, D.C., and public scorn for executives flying around in Lear jets, the Z/28 was a "shameful" car that GM couldn't be seen building in the current environment. The Z/28 would've had had the supercharged, intercooled 556hp from the Cadillac CTS-V, along with a beefed up drivetrain, functional ram-air hood, SS stripes and huge cohones."
bossbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #1545
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Definately don't want one. For those that want the Z28 just figure the 1SS is the equivelant of the Z28.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #1546
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
Idk if this has been posted yet, i posted it in another thread tho. In the new hot rodding mag it says "Bye bye Z28: With GM Performance Division disbanded and all its employees reassigned to other divisions, the Z/28 super Camaro program has been cancelled. According to the Chevy executives we spoke to, the Z/28's engineering, validation, and component sourcing was already completed when the plug was puled. Don't blame Chevy though. The timing couldn't have been worse, with the bailout hearings in Washington, D.C., and public scorn for executives flying around in Lear jets, the Z/28 was a "shameful" car that GM couldn't be seen building in the current environment. The Z/28 would've had had the supercharged, intercooled 556hp from the Cadillac CTS-V, along with a beefed up drivetrain, functional ram-air hood, SS stripes and huge cohones."
Hmm. I thought I had the new Hot Rod. Either I missed that article or I don't have the new one. I'll have to look for it today though. Regardless, that kind of reporting is of no suprise. It's been reported before but nothing's confirmed. It sounds like it would've been one bad "asp"-kicking ride. I think the snakes would've slithered far away

Regarding the comment about it the Z28 was originally supposed to be what the current SS is now, and whether-or-not people like me would be pushing for an SS instead at this point, I have to say that I've thought about this a lot too. I don't know that I can honestly say that I wouldn't be lusting for an SS right now in that case. I can say that Camaro should always have a Z28 option, at least as much as it should have the SS. Afterall, the Z28 was always the performance option, while the SS started as a cosmetic upgrade originally.

I know it always comes down to just having a model that competes directly with the GT500 and the SRT8. Since the SRT8 is already addressed right now, that leaves the 500. I honestly don't think it'll happen, and even if it does in the next few/several years, it probably won't be the affordable car it used to be. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but at least the aftermarket support is gearing up to allow me to make the Z28 I would want from GM. GM GFX, Maggy' TVS 2300, Pedders, CAI, CB, and some wheels and I'd be one happy camper .

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #1547
ClaymoreZ28

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
I wonder how many folks who keep talking about a Z28 would actually hand over $50k or so for one.

I suspect there would be outcry of folks yelling "overpriced !"
Old 06-10-2009, 12:09 PM   #1548
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Drives: Chrysler Aspen Hybrid
The Z28 is a name from the past and it had its glory day. It should not be used again.

I would seriously consider buying the car, but would take the badges off of it out of respect.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #1549
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaymoreZ28 View Post
I wonder how many folks who keep talking about a Z28 would actually hand over $50k or so for one.

I suspect there would be outcry of folks yelling "overpriced !"
I would!! And as I'm in Europe I would pay at least 55-60 K EUROS.

and would be happy!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #1550
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Ah - I found it in Popular Hot Rodding. Cool review, but nother useful for Z28.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #1551
ClaymoreZ28

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
I would!! And as I'm in Europe I would pay at least 55-60 K EUROS.

and would be happy!
Hey - it will already cost around 60k for an ss in Europe - so you are already paying over the odds
Old 06-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #1552
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
The Z28 is a name from the past and it had its glory day. It should not be used again.

I would seriously consider buying the car, but would take the badges off of it out of respect.
the SS is a name from the past and it had its glory day. its being used again.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #1553
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
the SS is a name from the past and it had its glory day. its being used again.
Thank you.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #1554
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Hmm. I thought I had the new Hot Rod. Either I missed that article or I don't have the new one. I'll have to look for it today though. Regardless, that kind of reporting is of no suprise. It's been reported before but nothing's confirmed. It sounds like it would've been one bad "asp"-kicking ride. I think the snakes would've slithered far away

Regarding the comment about it the Z28 was originally supposed to be what the current SS is now, and whether-or-not people like me would be pushing for an SS instead at this point, I have to say that I've thought about this a lot too. I don't know that I can honestly say that I wouldn't be lusting for an SS right now in that case. I can say that Camaro should always have a Z28 option, at least as much as it should have the SS. Afterall, the Z28 was always the performance option, while the SS started as a cosmetic upgrade originally.

I know it always comes down to just having a model that competes directly with the GT500 and the SRT8. Since the SRT8 is already addressed right now, that leaves the 500. I honestly don't think it'll happen, and even if it does in the next few/several years, it probably won't be the affordable car it used to be. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but at least the aftermarket support is gearing up to allow me to make the Z28 I would want from GM. GM GFX, Maggy' TVS 2300, Pedders, CAI, CB, and some wheels and I'd be one happy camper .
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgebunny View Post
Here is an entry from the Ed Pepper web chat yesterday.

15:39
[Comment From Don Haller]
Rumors are that the plan for a Camaro Z28 have been postponed and worst case discontinued. Will we see a Z28?
15:39
Ed Peper: There are no plans for it right now.