Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
Can't Decide - Auto or Manual

I need help. I can't decide if I should get the automatic or manual.

At first I was definitely getting the stick under the assumptions that it was more HP and torque, better gas mileage, 0-60 and 1/4 mile time.

Now after doing some research, I learn that yes the stick has more HP and torque but that the 0-60 time for the auto is much better. As far as the gas mileage and 1/4 mile time it seams those are close enough to call them even.

I was also planning on getting the cold air intake, headers and cat back exhaust on the stick. It appears I cannot get these on the auto. Is this true.
Also, what kind of gains or losses am I looking at for HP, TQ, 0-60, 1/4 mile and gas mileage if I get these added.

Also, how much do you think these upgrades are gonna cost. Are they worth it.

Last two considerations are that I will probably do a lot of driving in the car so auto makes sense and lastly, as far as street racing goes, where I live (Long Island, NY) when you do race your really not going at it for a full 1/4 mile (prob kill someone) because of the amount of traffic.

I have actually held off of ordering the car because I cannot decide between the stick and auto. I have had many, many camaros both with sticks and autos. I can beat on both of them just as good as the other.
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
dieseldave24v
PowerStroke this Ford boy

Drives: Like Don Garlits "Big Daddy"
First of all welcome to the site, you will find more information than you ever thought possible here....

A Automatic transmission can be faster to 60 and in the 1/4.....bottom line. Doesnt matter who says what or what you have heard.

Let me explain the above statment. A auto CAN be faster than a manual if it is tuned right. This would require the correct stall covertor, matched to the cam profile and HP and TQ curves, plus the weight of the car. A shitft kit can make it shift fast and violently, but will get you better times. It is humanly impossible to shift a manual tranny faster than a auto can.

On the flip side of this in 99.9% of street aplications a experianced driver can turn a better ET with a manual.

Unless you are willing to do your homework on stall converters, shift kits and gearing go with the manual.

With a purpose built racing auto the car becomes very un street friendley.
dieseldave24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Remember, there have been no official 0-60 or 1/4 mile times listed for the V8 yet. That being said, hopefully soon some people will get there hands on them and we have a better understanding of what the auto / manual will do.

Me .. I like banging gears ... manual all the way ..

Crowley
Old 11-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
GM has said that both stick and auto are getting 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and the quarter mile times and speeds are about dead even.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
Personally, I find sticks to be a lot more fun, but then again, paddle-shifters are pretty cool.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yeah sticks are fun, I got an auto though since I have alot of stop and go traffic and do get alot of phone calls for work and do not want to worry about shifting.

Compared to my V6 accord coupe and my acura RL this car is going to rock and be very quick even with the auto.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldave24v View Post
First of all welcome to the site, you will find more information than you ever thought possible here....

A Automatic transmission can be faster to 60 and in the 1/4.....bottom line. Doesnt matter who says what or what you have heard.

Let me explain the above statment. A auto CAN be faster than a manual if it is tuned right. This would require the correct stall covertor, matched to the cam profile and HP and TQ curves, plus the weight of the car. A shitft kit can make it shift fast and violently, but will get you better times. It is humanly impossible to shift a manual tranny faster than a auto can.

On the flip side of this in 99.9% of street aplications a experianced driver can turn a better ET with a manual.

Unless you are willing to do your homework on stall converters, shift kits and gearing go with the manual.

With a purpose built racing auto the car becomes very un street friendley.
I have a 3800 and it's shift extension is around 5300-5400 between shifts and there is no more lag with the 4L60. I have a good tranny tune and no codes and love driving it. At with 3900 lbs. on the starting line, with no transbrake or anything, I've gotten a best of a 1.6X 60', which would almost be impossible with a manual-equipped car, with similar mods' to mine. Having said that, it isn't nearly as fun as powershifting and rowing through the gears, like my LT1 was, so it depends on if you like shifting for yourself that much or whether or not you can stand traffic, I guess. I haven't driving GM's new sx-speeds yet, but I think you can't loose either way. Auto' trannys are the way to go if you drag race, but they aren't as much fun, and a stick is more fun in every other dicipline.

JMVHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Yeah sticks are fun, I got an auto though since I have alot of stop and go traffic and do get alot of phone calls for work and do not want to worry about shifting.

Compared to my V6 accord coupe and my acura RL this car is going to rock and be very quick even with the auto.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The differences between auto v. manual are going to be negligible. Like ~.1 seconds...real close in performance. It comes down to preference, luckily.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
GM has said that both stick and auto are getting 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and the quarter mile times and speeds are about dead even.
Brochure racing.......
Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
ls6camaro

Drives: 68 Camaro-03 Avalanche-06 Monte SS
My '68 has a 2-speed powerglide (automatic) with a floor shifter that I have to manually shift, so it's somewhat like a stick without the clutch. In the 2010 I would opt for the manual, it feels more like you're involved with the car than just hitting the gas and brake.
ls6camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #11
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
after learning on a manual & then owning another one then driving an auto for over 3 yrs, the auto got really boring. i like to feel like i'm more in control of the vehicle. besides, you stay more concentrated on driving with a stick. that's why a manual was a must-have when i bought my current truck.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:53 PM   #12
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet....

Has anyone seen this yet

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=129496

Has anyone seen anything different, if so where.

What are your comments. A 4.6 0-60 is a big difference than 4.9.

For $40K (or just thereunder) I better see Cobras in the rear view mirror and not out the passenger window.
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #13
fazm

Drives: ex-500hp v6 mustang
well cobras have gone mid 12s stock so expect them to be at your passenger window with equal drivers lol.

this is disturbing

"Chevy's Camaro SS outfitted with the 422-hp 6.2-liter LS3 V8 six-speed manual hits 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and runs a 13.4-second quarter-mile at 108 mph according to Oppenheiser. "

13.4 @ 108? get a better driver geez, 108mph sould be a 12.9 or quicker even. stock mustang gt's have gone 13.2x @ 103
fazm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #14
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
I'd go with the LS3/ Joy Stick.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote