Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Thinking about getting Opti Coat & Clear Bra?

I just picked up my 2013 2SS/RS/1LE in ashen gray last week & now I'm thinking of how I want to protect the paint. She will be garage kept & really only driven on the weekends. I've been hearing good things about opti coat & have been thinking about getting it put on my car. I talked to a detailer I know & he said he would do it for $325. Doesn't seem too bad.

I'm going to get some rpi front splash guards & zl1 rear splash gaurds to help keep the rockers from getting chipped up.

I've also been thinking about getting a clear bra done. Would y'all recommend doing one? I've heard mixed reviews. If I did the clear bra & opti coat would I want the bra under or ontop of the opti?
Thanks
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
325 is a good price if it's done right. But be aware,it's not the holy grail, you still need to wash correctly and follow with correct drying. It still can swirl and rocks will still ding the car. It recharges well after washing iwth a spray on monthly called CarPro RELOAD.

Last edited by Glen e; 06-02-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
AMCBimmer

Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Have the same color ZL1 I have Suntek film on the whole hood. I have opticoated the entire vehicle except doors and hood. You will not regret the look. I have now done 3 cars. My wife has a 2013 Audi Q5 and Ram 1500 the Opticoat has held up well on all 3. I need to do my M5.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
I just picked up my 2013 2SS/RS/1LE in ashen gray last week & now I'm thinking of how I want to protect the paint.
I've also been thinking about getting a clear bra done. Would y'all recommend doing one? I've heard mixed reviews. If I did the clear bra & opti coat would I want the bra under or ontop of the opti?
Thanks
Congrats on your new ride! I put the Clear-Bra on mine and its a great product. Not just on the front and partway up the hood, but also places like mirrors and gills. Basically any area that is more prone to nick/chip. Wish I had known about the Opti-coat 2.0 back then because I would of done that right after installing the clear bra. Only problem I have w/clear bra is the line it leaves when waxing the car. You have to take extra time to clean the wax residue along the start/end line of the bra. No big deal, but an extra step unless you use a detail spray. With those two products you're getting the Best paint protection IMO possible. Again Congrats!Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370184417.957029.jpg
Views: 1214
Size:  238.1 KB
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
AMCBimmer

Pic1
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Clear bra's are awesome if done correctly (be advised the installer is the greatest variable you have). Honestly I'd do both, but I would just skip the opti-coat on the portions that the clear bra is put on. Because the opti-coat can only be bonded to a clean paint surface so the clear bra would go over it, but there's no real point because the clear bra has much more protection than opti-coat will.

And like glen said, you still have to use proper wash/dry techniques to keep your paint in good shape. Just a simple 2BM or rinseless wash with quality products and your paint should look like glass all day.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
AMCBimmer

Pic 2
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Congrats on your new ride! I put the Clear-Bra on mine and its a great product. Not just on the front and partway up the hood, but also places like mirrors and gills. Basically any area that is more prone to nick/chip. Wish I had known about the Opti-coat 2.0 back then because I would of done that right after installing the clear bra. Only problem I have w/clear bra is the line it leaves when waxing the car. You have to take extra time to clean the wax residue along the start/end line of the bra. No big deal, but an extra step unless you use a detail spray. With those two products you're getting the Best paint protection IMO possible. Again Congrats!
If you want to avoid that you could tape up that clear bra edge to avoid going over it with some simple painter's tape.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
AMCBimmer

Pic3
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
AMCBimmer

Pic 4
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
AMCBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Congrats on your new ride! I put the Clear-Bra on mine and its a great product. Not just on the front and partway up the hood, but also places like mirrors and gills. Basically any area that is more prone to nick/chip. Wish I had known about the Opti-coat 2.0 back then because I would of done that right after installing the clear bra. Only problem I have w/clear bra is the line it leaves when waxing the car. You have to take extra time to clean the wax residue along the start/end line of the bra. No big deal, but an extra step unless you use a detail spray. With those two products you're getting the Best paint protection IMO possible. Again Congrats!Attachment 517719
Easy idea to clean the lines are fluffy q-tips with rubbing alcohol. Do not push hard as it will eventually loosen but but always look fresh.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
I just picked up my 2013 2SS/RS/1LE in ashen gray last week & now I'm thinking of how I want to protect the paint. She will be garage kept & really only driven on the weekends. I've been hearing good things about opti coat & have been thinking about getting it put on my car. I talked to a detailer I know & he said he would do it for $325. Doesn't seem too bad.

I'm going to get some rpi front splash guards & zl1 rear splash gaurds to help keep the rockers from getting chipped up.

Thanks
you would want opti coat under the bra. its bascially another clear coat that beads water like a WAX/SEALANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
325 is a good price if it's done right. But be aware,it's not the holy grail, you still need to wash correctly and follow with correct drying. It still can swirl and rocks will still ding the car. It recharges well after washing iwth a spray on monthly called CarPro RELOAD.
+1 a lot of people misunderstand what OC.2 is. it is not a swirl proof coating. treat it like you would any paint. with some TLC

as for reload. i have seen vids and heard some great reviews on it. i want to try it one day along with the DLUX from car pro.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
Pic 4
Mirror shine! That really looks good.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
ec1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
you would want opti coat under the bra. its bascially another clear coat that beads water like a WAX/SEALANT

+1 a lot of people misunderstand what OC.2 is. it is not a swirl proof coating. treat it like you would any paint. with some TLC

as for reload. i have seen vids and heard some great reviews on it. i want to try it one day along with the DLUX from car pro.
How does the opti-coat work through the clear bra? I thought clear bra's were solid?

Although I could see someone getting it for uniformity and in case they ever take the bra off. But Opti-coat can be applied over a clear bra.