Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Traven95

Drives: 2013 2ss ls3
Procharger P1x build insight

I'm doing some research on the build I want.
I'm basically stock. 2013 ss l99
I live in Cali which limits a lot (no cam or LTs) but what I'm looking at is:
Procharger stage 2 p1x
Circle D 3200-3400 stall converter
GM 3.91 gears

My goals if I had to put a certain number would be around 500-550rwhp. It's a DD and dont plan on drag or tracking it. I just want more "get up and go"
If anyone has a similar build or can provide some feedback, I'd appreciate it.

I hear the 3.91s are to much for the a6 but I think other gears(3.7) dont have e.o. numbers.
How would the PC behave with the higher ratio and converter?
How will the drivability be with this set up?
How will the torque converter effect things?

Just new to these 3 components so i'm seeking as much help as I can.
Not meant for this thread, but anyone know of a good shop is Socal (san diego area) that could help out too
Traven95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
If that is all you are planning, you could save money and go with basic ESS, ECS or an LSA PD supercharger...

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
bayarea408

Drives: T
Procharger, magnuson, edelbrock and i think whipple are all offer a 50 state legal kit.

they will all surpass your power goals, if you want.

why not go with a D1sc, basically the same housing with bigger guts?
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
ZZZTOPZZZ

Drives: 2013 L99 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traven95 View Post
I'm doing some research on the build I want.
I'm basically stock. 2013 ss l99
I live in Cali which limits a lot (no cam or LTs) but what I'm looking at is:
Procharger stage 2 p1x
Circle D 3200-3400 stall converter
GM 3.91 gears

My goals if I had to put a certain number would be around 500-550rwhp. It's a DD and dont plan on drag or tracking it. I just want more "get up and go"
If anyone has a similar build or can provide some feedback, I'd appreciate it.

I hear the 3.91s are to much for the a6 but I think other gears(3.7) dont have e.o. numbers.
How would the PC behave with the higher ratio and converter?
How will the drivability be with this set up?
How will the torque converter effect things?

Just new to these 3 components so i'm seeking as much help as I can.
Not meant for this thread, but anyone know of a good shop is Socal (san diego area) that could help out too
Don't stop with the SC. I installed Stainless Works headers, pipes, and cats (slight tune required). Also, you will need to upgrade your fuel system if you want decent boost. I went with a stock 1LE fuel pump from Summit Racing. In other words, if you go with max boost with the stock fuel pump, you will 'run out of gas'. This combo will get you just about 500 RWHP.

I am very pleased with my Procharger install. I paid about $100 more for the 'quiet' gear and you have absolutely no whine, although some like the whine. Also, the overall economy is not affected, unless of course, you can't keep your toes out of the fire wall.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #5
Traven95

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
Procharger, magnuson, edelbrock and i think whipple are all offer a 50 state legal kit.

they will all surpass your power goals, if you want.

why not go with a D1sc, basically the same housing with bigger guts?
The d1sc isn't 50 state legal so I can't get it here in cali.
I was looking at the procharger because it supposedly runs cooler than the maggie and edelbrock systems. I've heard a couple people have problems because of that. Any input on that matter?
Old 03-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
Traven95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZTOPZZZ View Post
Don't stop with the SC. I installed Stainless Works headers, pipes, and cats (slight tune required). Also, you will need to upgrade your fuel system if you want decent boost. I went with a stock 1LE fuel pump from Summit Racing. In other words, if you go with max boost with the stock fuel pump, you will 'run out of gas'. This combo will get you just about 500 RWHP.

I am very pleased with my Procharger install. I paid about $100 more for the 'quiet' gear and you have absolutely no whine, although some like the whine. Also, the overall economy is not affected, unless of course, you can't keep your toes out of the fire wall.
I wish I could keep going with the headers and pipes but California makes it to difficult.
If i stay with just this build, you still reccomend a new fuel pump?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
ZZZTOPZZZ

Yes, by all means you'll need a fuel system upgrade (1LE). I went with Summit Racing for about $213.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...t/model/camaro

Manufacturer's Part Number:19303293 (Current)

I've heard Cal is hard on vehicle mods but they are probably most concerned about the cats. My Stainless Works system came with cats. The overall sound is very nice, if not totally pleasing - not raucous at all as I retained my stock muffles and see no need for a change there. You may want to get on the phone with a tech at Stainless Works, located in Ohio, and ask a few questions. For me, it was a drop in 'bang-bang' upgrade and only needed a tweak of a tune.

https://www.autoanything.com/exhaust...A5716A0A0.aspx

Last edited by ZZZTOPZZZ; 03-14-2019 at 12:46 PM.
ZZZTOPZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Yes, by all means you'll need a fuel system upgrade (1LE). I went with Summit Racing for about $213.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...t/model/camaro

Manufacturer's Part Number:19303293 (Current)

I've heard Cal is hard on vehicle mods bit they are probably most concerned about the cats. My Stainless Works system came with cats. The overall sound is very nice, if not totally pleasing - not raucous at all as I retained my stock muffles and see no need for a change there. You may want to get on the phone with a tech at Stainless Works, located in Ohio, and as a few questions. For me, it was a drop in 'bang-bang' upgrade and only needed a tweak of a tune.

https://www.autoanything.com/exhaust...A5716A0A0.aspx

What pulley are you running with just the ZL1 fuel pump and what procharger model are you running ?

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #9
ZZZTOPZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
What pulley are you running with just the ZL1 fuel pump and what procharger model are you running ?
Procharger P-1SC-1. The pulley is 4.38" w/ D series belt - 8 rib.
Old 03-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
rgrmoreira13

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Procharger P-1SC-1. The pulley is 4.38" w/ D series belt - 8 rib.
damn all that with a ZL1 fuel pump ?

And here I am trying to save for a dual or even a triple pump for my D1x.

TSP Stage 2 Boosted Cam 227/235 at 114 LSA
Fore Innovation Triple pump staged (Walbro 342 primary and 2x Walbro 450 secondaries)
Procharger D1x with a 3.85 pulley
ID1050x Injectors
Flex Fuel Sensor
Monster LT1 Twin Disk Clutch
Holley Sniper Efi Intake Manifold
NW 103mm Boosted TB
747rwhp at 12psi on E85
rgrmoreira13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
ZZZTOPZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrmoreira13 View Post
damn all that with a ZL1 fuel pump ?

And here I am trying to save for a dual or even a triple pump for my D1x.
I can't really tell from the photos and I don't have the fuel pump specs at hand, but over on the Phastec site their ZL1 fuel pump looks an awful like the 1LE pump for about $100 or so more. I'm willing to bet a cup of coffee and a donut that they are relatively the same pump.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #12
ZZZTOPZZZ

Just wanted to add this little bit about the 1LE fuel pump. GM sources their pumps from Taiwan, and there are no part number markings or ID codes on the pump itself. I talked to GM parts people about that on the phone, and they said you go by the box it came in. Risky business if you ask me. The people at Summit Racing say the same thing, "go by the box". So, suppose one had 4 or 5 Camaro fuel pumps setting on the shop floor, how are you going to know what's what? I went with the advertised photo of the 1LE pump and trusted my shop. It's not so much the cost of the pump, but the labor can be a little steep if you make a mistake.

Last edited by ZZZTOPZZZ; 03-14-2019 at 01:16 PM.
ZZZTOPZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #13
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Rather than a small restricted centri like a P1, a Roots or twin screw would be a better choice as it will give a wide spread of power/torque which will make the car feel faster most of the time, with the same sort of top end power limitations because of CARB approval options
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #14
ZZZTOPZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Rather than a small restricted centri like a P1, a Roots or twin screw would be a better choice as it will give a wide spread of power/torque which will make the car feel faster most of the time, with the same sort of top end power limitations because of CARB approval options
If it's his daily driver aka street machine like it seems to be, I don't think the extra 2K$ or so would be justified. Just my opinion.