Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Ajmalian

Drives: 2017 ZL1 and 2016 GMC Sierra Denali
What would happen IF......

Hey guys...I'm a newbie at this (and I think I forever will continue to be!!) and I've got a bit of a tricky situation at hand. Long story cut short, for an unusual and unexplainable reason I've got to install a supercharger and a stage 3 cam and all the necessary bits that go along with it in one workshop while the tuning has to be done in another workshop...some 30 odd miles away from the place where the installation is being done in the first place (DON'T ASK!!). So...my BIG question is...what would happen if i was to install the above mentioned mods and NOT tune the car? That is till I get to the other workshop... Will the car even switch on? If so...how will it react or run for that matter? how damaging is it to the engine to drive with the above mods installed for a distance of about 30 miles assuming the engine even fires up??!?!?! Point being...What happens when there is no tuning done upon the installation of a supercharger and a stage 3 cam??
Ajmalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
have it towed..
or find a friend with a trailer.

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
trailer it. pointless to risk detonation when a Uhaul truck and trailer will cost you under $100

*edit* sorry just realized you are in Dubai.. so the whatever your "uhaul" service is over there.. you are dumping $15K into the motor, spend the $100 and trailer it.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
babytiger
it's hers...

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Put the tools down and slowly step away from the vehicle.......... Seriously
babytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Probably wouldn't even idle. With the larger injectors and cam it wouldn't be driveable on a factory tune.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Probably wouldn't even idle. With the larger injectors and cam it wouldn't be driveable on a factory tune.
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #7
BLACK10

Drives: 2010 CAMARO. 10.04@133mph, 1.4 60'
I agree, it probably won't even start
BLACK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:55 AM   #8
Ajmalian

Fair enough...so I shall tow my car to the other garage. Again, I know it maybe a bit of a stupid question but the car will be mobile right? As in I should still be able to push the car around and on to the tray of the tow truck or could things jam and seize?
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmalian View Post
Hey guys...I'm a newbie at this (and I think I forever will continue to be!!) and I've got a bit of a tricky situation at hand. Long story cut short, for an unusual and unexplainable reason I've got to install a supercharger and a stage 3 cam and all the necessary bits that go along with it in one workshop while the tuning has to be done in another workshop...some 30 odd miles away from the place where the installation is being done in the first place (DON'T ASK!!). So...my BIG question is...what would happen if i was to install the above mentioned mods and NOT tune the car? That is till I get to the other workshop... Will the car even switch on? If so...how will it react or run for that matter? how damaging is it to the engine to drive with the above mods installed for a distance of about 30 miles assuming the engine even fires up??!?!?! Point being...What happens when there is no tuning done upon the installation of a supercharger and a stage 3 cam??
As long as the injectors remain unchanged. Drive it normally and it would be very difficult to do it any harm.
Drive it like an idiot or with boost and of course you risk damage.

then change the injectors before tuning.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Smart Line

Drives: 2011 Blue1SSRS 623RWHP, 02 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
As long as the injectors remain unchanged. Drive it normally and it would be very difficult to do it any harm.
Drive it like an idiot or with boost and of course you risk damage.

then change the injectors before tuning.
I think IF I had too i would leave the SC belt off and run stock injectors if i was to try and move the car. that way no chance of damage from the SC.

Team LS-3
Smart Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajmalian View Post
I can Help your installation center, I do remote email tuning via an SCT tuner no need to tow or travel I can write a tune and you can flash the car right there then start the logging process and I will fine tune to perfection.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
ls7camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
I can Help your installation center, I do remote email tuning via an SCT tuner no need to tow or travel I can write a tune and you can flash the car right there then start the logging process and I will fine tune to perfection.

Ted.
I would take this offer if I were you. Safest route.
ls7camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

Ted.

AWESOME Ted..

Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
Ajmalian

@ Ted from Jannetty Racing...brother..I'm pretty sure you won't remember me but you've given me advice before too and offered to help over the net and I love you for that and really appreciate the offer too bro...however, the problem is here in Dubai - UAE there so many power upgrading restrictions by law...they make life very hard when it comes to these things. My supercharger and cam are being installed by the local chevy dealership because only they are authorized by the local authorities to make such modifications because apparently they are fit to carry out such jobs and will do them up to "safety standards". I'm being forced to pay $4000 over the market rate on the supercharger alone because I am doing the mods at the dealership just so that at the end of the whole ordeal, I'll have a letter from the dealer stating that my car has "safely" been modified and so from there on I should have no problems with the authorities. Otherwise the garage thats doing the tuning for me can carry out the same job for literally almost $10,000 cheaper (the whole job that is). The only reason I gotta do the two in two different workshops is because the dealer will install everything but they have clearly told m that they can't tune bcuz they dont have a programmer. Which I find a mornic excuse because here you're doing the mods and issuing letters of safety standards but I could take the car to the tuner and do whatever I want...perhaps keep boost 13-14psi which I reckon isn't too healthy for the engine...but the dealers here care only about the money.

But again, thanks for the offer..so...going back to all what all you guys said about injectors and belts...I don't know if the injectors will be changed or not...and about the SC belt...not sure abt how that works either...which is why I will ask again, is it ok to push the car onto a to a flatbed tow truck in neutral with the engine off or would that too hurt the car??

Tags
no tune, stage 3 cam, supercharger