Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
carman II

Drives: 87 IROC Z, 91 Z28, 2013 1LE
Possble explanation for 1LE wheel gap

In a video from the ZL1 section on this forum, Aaron Link, Lead Dev Engr for the ZL1, explains that the ZL1 uses a wider fender and front end to accommodate the larger front tires and wheels. I believe these are the same size as the 1LE. Could a clearance requirement in the standard Camaro front fender explain the higher ride height?
carman II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
The 1LE wheel gap was definitely not the finished product. Big Al O said there's still final tunning going on
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Ride height has a lot to do with vehicle crash test standards and tests.

If I recall correctly (and I could be wrong)...generally a crash test doesn't need to be done for an chassis option package, so long as it doesn't lower the ride height.

While I'd like to believe the show car ride height was not final (because it seemed higher than the standard SS)...there is the possibility that the ride height did not change (like the last generation 1LE) because they were unwilling to perform (and pay for) another crash test for what is essentially an SS, and the lower profile tires increased the visible fender to wheel gap.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post

If I recall correctly (and I could be wrong)...generally a crash test doesn't need to be done for an chassis option package, so long as it doesn't lower the ride height.

While I'd like to believe the show car ride height was not final (because it seemed higher than the standard SS)...there is the possibility that the ride height did not change (like the last generation 1LE) because they were unwilling to perform (and pay for) another crash test for what is essentially an SS, and the lower profile tires increased the visible fender to wheel gap.
Oh man I hope your assumption is wrong! The ride height on the SS is tolerable and as of now, there's absolutely no vendor for MRC lowering springs including GM
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #5
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

This is untrue actually.

The car companies do not pay themselves for crash tests. Taxpayers fund NHTSA's crash-test program, and the agency uses tax monies to buy test vehicles and pay its staff. As for the IIHS, they buy their own cars, at a dealer just like your average consumer.

Nor do they need to re-certify for a change in trim/model line as long as it is based on the same crash structure/platform (which of course it would be). Like they didn't necessarily need to crash test a Stingray, and than a Z06. The different fenders are not part of the crash structure. Same would go for a base Camaro, up to a ZL1. Just like each of the 20 different trim packages on an F-150 are not tested...and they have a pretty large variance in ride height.

So, in essence there is no reason GM can not lower the ride height on the SS 1LE's...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
This is untrue actually.

The car companies do not pay themselves for crash tests. Taxpayers fund NHTSA's crash-test program, and the agency uses tax monies to buy test vehicles and pay its staff. As for the IIHS, they buy their own cars, at a dealer just like your average consumer.

Nor do they need to re-certify for a change in trim/model line as long as it is based on the same crash structure/platform (which of course it would be). Like they didn't necessarily need to crash test a Stingray, and than a Z06. The different fenders are not part of the crash structure. Same would go for a base Camaro, up to a ZL1. Just like each of the 20 different trim packages on an F-150 are not tested...and they have a pretty large variance in ride height.

So, in essence there is no reason GM can not lower the ride height on the SS 1LE's...
I'm just repeating what I've been told. Could be internal procedures?
This was the case with the last-gen 1LE, at least. Something about ride height and pedestrian impact? It was a short conversation a long time ago....

Perhaps we'll know for sure soon.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I'm just repeating what I've been told. Could be internal procedures?
This was the case with the last-gen 1LE, at least.

Perhaps we'll know for sure soon.
All I can say on the matter is, lower the damn car no matter what GM lol...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:21 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Certainly not disagreeing.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
carman II

Drives: 87 IROC Z, 91 Z28, 2013 1LE
Ride Height

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. I find it surprising that GM would take this new model (or option) to a major auto show at that ride height understanding it would bring criticism from enthusiasts.
carman II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #10
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
I'm gonna chalk it up to forgetting to take out the yellow spring spacers that is used for transport like in the ZL1's when they got delivered