Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
roderick2411

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Convertible
Spare tire

So, I got noticing after I purchased my 2012 Convertible that where my spare tire should be stores my battery. Genius unless I have a flat. Does anyone know if a spare tire will even fit around the battery and if so will it be a little spare of full size? I am just curious as I would like to buy a spare but there is definitely not room in the boot. Help, thank you.
roderick2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
It should have an air pump and fix a flat in that compartment. Compact spares do not fit around the Brembos hence why the SS doesn't have a spare tire.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
roderick2411

Ok, thank you so much. LOL. I guess maybe that is stuff I should know. I am learning now. So, all SS don't have spare ? Seems crazy they even have place for spare but I guess for production purposes for all the non SS models. Haha, seems crazy to not have a spare. I live in the sticks. Think I will buy a full size tire and SS rim from ebay or some salvage yard and keep in garage, and if something happens make my hubby come change em out. I am thinking fix a flat and air pump may not always fix it.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
The V8s don't come with a factory spare because it won't clear the Brembo brakes, but there are a number of C5 threads with great solutions to this. Some buy the factory spare and a spacer to clear the brakes. I think the Cadillac CTS factory spare might be a fit without a spacer. Others bought rims and slimmer tires with the same diameter. Search the forums and you will probably find a solution that suits you. Not sure, but you may need to buy a jack and wrench too.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:39 AM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
My 2007 Solstice GXP didn't have a spare either. 54K miles, not even a leak in a tire.

Consider this: I still own a car I put 250,000 miles on. I never had a flat tire in that quarter of a million miles and 25 years of driving it. That was also a summer only car. In all the cars I drove during the other half of those years, I had one single flat tire. I've been driving since 1987. Tires are pretty okey-dokey in the 21st century
Old 01-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
performance spare.com, sells you a jack, tire, and spacer that will clear the brembo brakes, the tire fits perfectly in the trunk around the battery. If I recall it was 369$ with tax and shipping.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
roderick2411

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydreamcar View Post
performance spare.com, sells you a jack, tire, and spacer that will clear the brembo brakes, the tire fits perfectly in the trunk around the battery. If I recall it was 369$ with tax and shipping.

Awesome !! I will check it out. I would like to have some peace of mind more than anything else. I live in the sticks, and roadside asstc is not exactly prompt out this way. I have had flats, and I am fully capable of changing them out when I have a spare. I am just concerned the fix a flat and air pump may not always work. I have run over stuff and had flats, on more than one occasion. NC DOT is not so great either at least not in my neck of the woods. Things happen and I just dont like the fix a flat and air pump. So will be purchasing a spare if it will that would be great
Old 01-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by roderick2411 View Post
Awesome !! I will check it out. I would like to have some peace of mind more than anything else. I live in the sticks, and roadside asstc is not exactly prompt out this way. I have had flats, and I am fully capable of changing them out when I have a spare. I am just concerned the fix a flat and air pump may not always work. I have run over stuff and had flats, on more than one occasion. NC DOT is not so great either at least not in my neck of the woods. Things happen and I just dont like the fix a flat and air pump. So will be purchasing a spare if it will that would be great

I don't disagree, while I am in the city and plenty of help could be found the notion of not having a spare sits pretty bad with me, besides the sealant and compressor is only good when you have a nail or screw in tire or slow leak, what about cuts and gashes which the inflator kit won't work on. I hated spending the money but for the peace of mind it was well worth it.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
I think I'm going to get a 18x8(that clears Brembro's) and put a 225/60R18 on it with the jack kit. It will cost the same as that spare tire kit from performancespare.com but will have the ability to put on the rear or front, not just the front and have no spacers. Plus you can go 70mph without fear.

Here is a good option. Plus look at the weight. Note: you will need to have normal brake pads not roller skate brake pads. http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...rSpecial=false

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=yes&tab=Specs