Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
^Yeah, it will hurt it, but the enthusiasts will buy. Just like you guys over there have bought SS's instead of the capable LT models since you wan't a V8.

And I don't think an American car will EVER be cheaper here then in the US, but this official release will push the price down. If the Mustang was officially sold in Europe, it too would be cheaper.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
dstairs
Farewell Thor

Drives: 95 Caddy Deville Concours
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
more expensive in Europe.
Tax on engine displacement will hurt it and shipping from CAN to EU is more than what we pay to simply ship South...
Did they say they were building the car at Oshawa or even that the cars sold in Europe are being built in North America?
dstairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
^I'd consider it likely that it's still to be built in Oshawa. I'm pretty sure all the Vettes over here are built in the US.

Could be wrong, would be happy to be since that would drive down the price more.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #18
Mats

Drives: 2010 CamaroSS 03Corvette BMW 850
I am so happy that my new 2010 Camaro SS manual is in my garage waiting for that damn snow to go away. Can´t it be spring here in Sweden soon....!! Ordered it end of May and it arrived to me early November. Odometer reading is only 100 miles. I want to drive my car! It was not cheap to import this car to Sweden and I want to enjoy it NOW!
Mats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
What's it liking being probably the only person you'll ever see in your city in a Camaro? How do people react to seeing a car no-one else drives?
Old 02-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
iudexmaximus

Drives: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
more expensive in Europe.
Tax on engine displacement will hurt it and shipping from CAN to EU is more than what we pay to simply ship South...
What you say, and what is written on the link, is not completely true.
In Italy,for example, taxes aren't any more based on displacement since the beginning of 90's. Until those times, VAT on gasoline cars with displacement lower than 2.0L was 19%, while over 2.0L it was 38% IIRC.
Currently VAT is 20% in any case.
Every year we pay a tax based on how much HP the car has at the flywheel (...) and it's about 2.60 € per KW, based on emissions. It could be higher is the car is old, because it's assumed to respect older pollution laws.
The only tax that is based on displacement is the insurance, but the difference among my 2.2 liters bmw and a 6,2 liters camaro SS is just 30 euros per year.

The car prices is just a political matter: european cars are cheaper in the Usa than in EU, even if you have to cross the ocean to transport them and even if you have to pay import taxes. If OEM want to sell a car in a market, they have to fit the prices according to the local market. It doesn't matter if they don't gain so much money there: they will gain more money in other countries, tipically in Europe and especially in Italy.
Prices have nothing to see with euro/dollar exchange rate, or with shipping costs, or with import duties. Otherwise, european cars should be crazy expensive in the usa lately.

In europe, and especially in Italy, we have smaller cars, with smaller engines, because we have few space and a lot of people live in small areas. So, on small cars, OEM fit small engines, which should have low fuel consumption. This is not true, but people still have this idea in their mind, and OEM and governments push on it.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats View Post
I am so happy that my new 2010 Camaro SS manual is in my garage waiting for that damn snow to go away. Can´t it be spring here in Sweden soon....!! Ordered it end of May and it arrived to me early November. Odometer reading is only 100 miles. I want to drive my car! It was not cheap to import this car to Sweden and I want to enjoy it NOW!
Oh man if you know that you're going to be in the Norrtälje area, let me know. Would love to hear the beast in person!

(Varför skriver jag på Engelska till en Svensk för? xD)
Old 02-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #22
tonytahoe

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible 2SS/RS
OK, the new Camaro Convertible available in Europe next year!? Are you kidding me.Chevy cannot even tell us when the 'vert will be available here in the US and NOW thet are saying they will sell it in Europe?--What is wrong with these people?--They are trying to drive the price up on the car already by coming out with this only 20,000 units the first year.--I am fed up.I am buying a 458 Italia instead.

Last edited by tonytahoe; 02-09-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spell error
tonytahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
NSCRFN3

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler NY View Post
So are you saying the convertible will be available in Europe before we can get it here in the US???
No offense to anyone! But I sure hope they fill the US orders first! They would have to. There would be a lot of very people if not. I know I have been waiting too long now and stuck it out for it to go down like that!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 PM   #24
EvolutioN

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500 - Subaru LegacyGT
Hey good news I see. Happy for you guys in Europe (Speciellt Sverige) that are finally able to get some fun "New School" American muscle.

Have fun and stay safe.

// Chris (Formerly from Gävle, now in PA)
EvolutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #25
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
What about the US
What about what about the US? The coupe is available now and the vert goes into production in 1 year, give or take 6 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler NY View Post
So are you saying the convertible will be available in Europe before we can get it here in the US???
No. Vert is available next year in the US as well. At the very least they will be available at the same time but likely they will introduce the 2012 Camaro to Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maa107 View Post
So will it be cheaper in the US or Europe?
It will be cheaper in the US. American cars that get imported to Europe are quite expensive
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstairs View Post
Did they say they were building the car at Oshawa or even that the cars sold in Europe are being built in North America?
To my knowledge, GM doesn't have a plant that is capable of building the Camaro in Europe. The only other one might be in Australia where they make other Zeta cars, like the former G8. And they won't set one up for the extremely low volume that it will sell in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytahoe View Post
OK, the new Camaro Convertible available in Europe next year!? Are you kidding me.Chevy cannot even tell us when the 'vert will be available here in the US and NOW thet are saying they will sell it in Europe?--What is wrong with these people?--They are trying to drive the price up on the car already by coming out with this only 20,000 units the first year.--I am fed up.I am buying a 458 Italia instead.
Convertible goes into production 1st quarter of 2011. Should be for sale a few weeks after that.

BTW, 20,000 units? The 2010 Camaro has sold 67,000 so far with 85,000 2010's built with a few months of production left.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #26
alphaxray

Drives: Camaro Z28 -00
Finally some love for eu. Hopefully this will bring prices down, this makes me wonder what the price will be in eu.
The tax is no big issue for me as in my country we tax accoding to weight not displacement.
alphaxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:24 AM   #27
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Well considering it's at 499 000 Swedish Crownes (roughly 49 500 Euro) for new pimorted 2SS/RS with auto transmission I'm expecting it to go down a bit at least. A new IMPORTED Mustang GT is at 435 000 Swedish Crownes (a bit under 43 000 Euro), so I'm hoping at least around there. If they keep it under 500 000 I'm happy.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:19 AM   #28
camarolt76
2SS/RS Black/CGM Stripes

Drives: 88 Iroc, 76 Camaro, 2010 2SS/RS
I am glad to see that Chevy is taking the Camaro to Europe! I work with a couple of guys from Europe and they all really like the Camaro. I am sure it will do just fine.
2SS/RS Black with CGM Rally Stripes (#8575) Built on 8th of May, Delivered 10 June 2009.

camarolt76 is offline   Reply With Quote