Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
Law

Drives: 2010 1SS, 2003 ZO6. 55,57,64 CHEVY
In TX you can only have white or amber in the front.
If you are off road in carshow or parking lot ur car can look like a christmas tree as long as you dont drive on the street.
Im thinking on putting some multi color halos myself
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #16
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by epstein View Post
Actually He has the right to ask.....Its called the Common Law Right Of Inquiry.... Was the cop outta line .....IMO yeah ....Its something i would Never do .....Unless there was something purely criminal going on ..... I went about My business..... As for your actions from this day fwd......Yea....He has your number ......

Brian
Actually you can deny speaking to the cop. Just like with whole issue with the 'beer summit'. The guy had ever right not to speak to the cops at his door. The cops did not witness anything illegal, there for they had no right to force the guy out of his house. If a cop comes up to your door you do NOT have to answer unless they have a warrant or probably cause. Someone calling the cops because they saw something isn't probably cause otherwise you could call the cops on your neighbor thinking you saw something (or faking) to have him harassed by the cops. They either have to witness crime or have a warrant. Otherwise if you refuse to speak, tell them to go away, etc...they have no right to do anything else. This is in the Constitution.

Common Law Right Of Inquiry is abused A LOT and has been stuck down A LOT in courts. I am not saying to outright ignore a cop but you do have the right to question him and refuse. Have I been in this situation before? Yes, and I have thrown the law in the cops face before, just like I have had cops tell me I don’t have a right to an attorney for a traffic stop when in fact I do.

And how do I know all this? Well I know a lot about constitutional law and it is very common for cops to either not understand the law or to bend them because they are not practicing law, they are enforcers and there is a difference between the two.

Basically a cop can NOT go up to random people and start questioning them. Bottom line is this guy was on private property, a cop can not go up and just start questioning when no laws are being broken. That is illegal.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #17
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
One thing you realize too is states generally have laws about how many lights can be on each side of the car, how far apart, how high off the ground, etc...
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
The cop must be new. I have never heard of laws written for station parking lots. Now it may be illegal while on the road (if on) but I'd bet they are not while on private property.

Then again maybe if you own a sidearm in MA they can arrest you for murder.
A parking lot is an public access facility, most states no longer consider a parking lot as private property. I believe Cali still does...Florida and many others do not. That justifies reasoning for a traffic stop or officers completing crash reports within parking lots.

Then again the only Florida law in regards to head lights is that they do not exceed 4...either way it is cheese, but the guy gave you a warning.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak 2010 View Post
chronz4service, what would you say then about having the blue halos. You mention flashing lights in red or blue, but what if they don't flash, could I still run them while I drive? I live in Indiana and have been thinking about getting them. I have tried looking for state laws regarding different colored lights, but have not been able to find anything that made this clear to me.
I was under the impression blue lamps or tint are illegal in all 50 states regardless of flash or strobe. (could be wrong though)
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #20
JMM1181

Drives: '07 350z
Modded cars are the new focus for most MA state troopers and they will ticket you often if you aren't up to speed. I learned the hard way through my last car prior to my 350z: I was pulled over separately for tint (even though it was the legal percentage), aftermarket exhaust, tinted tail lights, etc, and can tell you that after all the fines, tickets, harassment, surcharges on my insurance and points on my driver's record it was NOT worth it IMO. This is why my Z is staying stock (for now, unless I move to NH), I just literally cannot afford to be pulled over again- if you're going to mod in MA, do it carefully and know what potential risks/penalties you are facing.
JMM1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #21
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
Actually you can deny speaking to the cop.

Basically a cop can NOT go up to random people and start questioning them. Bottom line is this guy was on private property, a cop can not go up and just start questioning when no laws are being broken. That is illegal.
Ok...since what you are saying is true to private property not public access you are not wrong or right. So please take this with no disrespect, but stop feeding this guy information that applies to your state. What applies in your state may not apply in his. The parking lot is private property but there is a stipulation because it is open to the public...quasi-public property.

Laws that govern police authority for parking and traffic violations on quasi-public property vary from state to state. In MOST states...At the request of the property owner, cops can enforce ALL traffic and parking laws. Most business owners prefer this to manage reckless/careless driving through their property. This INCLUDES simple equipment violations. Most property owners routinely request this as their insurance companies REQUIRE them to grant police authority. It is also FREE to them to do so as opposed to employing private security.

What you are speaking of is TRUE private property with no access to general public. Property that public has NO access too. Gas stations, convenience stores, retail businesses are held to those same restrictions. You have the right idea..and in WA where you live it may actually be all private. In Florida, GA, MS, TN, WV, and many other states on the east coast consider these all PUBLIC ACCESS - PRIVATE. Meaning officers absolutely can enforce any violations, conduct any investigation to include criminal law and traffic crashes.

The guy was off-duty but has state jurisdiction. Was it uncalled for? let the poster be the judge of that in his own state, he didn't get a citation.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #22
Silver1lt
Chevy Tech

Drives: 2012 Equinox 2LT
Send a message via AIM to Silver1lt
In mass you can run "off road" accessories as long as you are parked and not impersonating a police officer ... thats the way it was 2 or so years ago when i fought and won against the ticket i got from a trooper because my car parked on the street with me sittin on the hood hanging out with other car people... and i had a whelen 660 strobe pack runnin on low power with the grille lights interior lights and under glow on ... bcuz i was parked and not in traffic even though i was on a public street in a public spot... i came out on top ... just dont use blues.... red you can get away with to the rear sometimes ... blue you can not ...ever haha
Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #23
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
They are not legal on the street but you can have them on your car -as said above.

Weird that the cop started reaming ya. You sure you didn't give him an attitude first..LOL
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #24
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver1lt View Post
In mass you can run "off road" accessories as long as you are parked and not impersonating a police officer ... thats the way it was 2 or so years ago when i fought and won against the ticket i got from a trooper because my car parked on the street with me sittin on the hood hanging out with other car people... and i had a whelen 660 strobe pack runnin on low power with the grille lights interior lights and under glow on ... bcuz i was parked and not in traffic even though i was on a public street in a public spot... i came out on top ... just dont use blues.... red you can get away with to the rear sometimes ... blue you can not ...ever haha
Absolutely...the way the law reads in FL is similar. As long as it is parked and there no one in physical control of the vehicle. MA seems to have similar laws....I guess they had to create some law to assist with auto shows / meets.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #25
Ladyz28

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 2001 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhawk View Post
They are not legal on the street but you can have them on your car -as said above.

Weird that the cop started reaming ya. You sure you didn't give him an attitude first..LOL
No I didn't give him any attitude. I was quite polite and wasn't rude at all. He was most definitely from the get go to me and my husband. It took alot to hold back. He actually used his cell phone directly at the gas pump to call and run my reg and license. I wanted to tell him what an idiot he was for using his cell phone at the gas pump. I am sure that I would have walked away with a ticket.
Ladyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:16 PM   #26
brooksware2000
Seeking more light

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS with RS package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyz28 View Post
No I didn't give him any attitude. I was quite polite and wasn't rude at all. He was most definitely from the get go to me and my husband. It took alot to hold back. He actually used his cell phone directly at the gas pump to call and run my reg and license. I wanted to tell him what an idiot he was for using his cell phone at the gas pump. I am sure that I would have walked away with a ticket.
Yeah but Myth Busters already debunked the cell phone at the gas pump myth.

It was best that you didn't have a confrontation with him and do the research yourself. Definitely not worth the trouble especially since you did not get a citation.
brooksware2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #27
epstein
Account Suspended

Drives: SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to epstein
No disrespect.....But I know the law in the state that I served in ......and trust me Common Law right of Inquiry is a basic right ......Btw for the record Not answering in certain situations will escalate the level of suspicion by refusing to answer. If ya aint doing nothing wrong you have nothing to hide. BTW in the state which I served You do Not have the right to a lawyer at a traffic stop.....As a Matter of Fact a summons is In Lieu of Arrest. Moving Violations included.......Morale Of the story.....Be Sidewalk Lawyer In Your Community and refrain from Bad Advice.

Brian
epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:48 AM   #28
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
You don't have to answer to any off duty police officer .if what your doing is in fact illegal the off duty officer can call one who is on duty.just seems to me he was a dick.I'm still keeping my lights and use them in the right places.if asked to see the lights ID show them to enyone who asks.by the way I have green neon in my grill for 4 months now with no problums .in mass your not aloud to add any lights that aren't factory.I stay away from blue and red for the fact that the fines are high.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote