Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 AM   #113
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
One of the things that is perplexing to me is the v6 20 inch Camaro will our corner and out brake the SS Camaro. .93gs on the v6 and .90 on the Camaro, and 106ft V6 braking and 107 feet with the SS
Apparently the extra weight up front overcomes the advantages of the FE3 tunes. Notice when GM announced the 50-50 weight distribution they made sure to specify that was for the V6 and that the V6 would handle great. I'm sure that's mostly trying to encourage V6 sales, but I imagine they knew the SS wouldn't have quite as good balance.

So will the Pedders upgraded suspension help the steering feel any? Apparently it isn't bad, but isn't perfect either. It seems most of the compliments to the Mustang's steering sharpness references the track pack.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 AM   #114
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Honestly nothing really surprising here except for a couple things IMHO.

That popular mechanics only got a 0-60 time of 6.4 seconds and a quarter mile time of 14.4 seconds at 97mph for the Challenger R/T. The challenger is my least favorite of the three ponies, but somebody in popular mechanics jacked that run bad. Unless they accidentally tested the 1970 Challenger R/T on bias ply tires.....there is no reason why they couldn't pull a 5.XX 0-60 and a 13.XX @ over 100mph with the new R/T....none what so ever.

The other thing was the track pack Mustang doing so well in handling. Everyone likes to rag on the Mustang for its dinosaur live rear axle, but clearly it doesn't matter that much when put to the test. Properly tuned and balanced sway bars, shocks, springs, etc are still just as important as the over all setup, be it IRS or live axle.

I think it is kinda like people who like to rag on GMs pushrod engines as ancient....the proof is in the pudding and GMs pushrods are beautiful creations.

FWIW, this is all coming from a mustang owner, who will be purchasing a corvette in a year or so

Oh and finally if the new Camaro SS is trapping over 110 in the 1/4....it won't be long before people consistently get this thing in the high 12s.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #115
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
Honestly nothing really surprising here except for a couple things IMHO.

But you're right, what did they do, have a 12 yr. old do some of there runs? One of them had the Camaro SS at 5.9 0-60. Hell my wifes Lexus will do that. They must have grabbed the secratary on their way out of the office and told her to drive the cars and had a guy with a stop watch and a flag to signal start.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #116
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

But you're right, what did they do, have a 12 yr. old do some of there runs? One of them had the Camaro SS at 5.9 0-60. Hell my wifes Lexus will do that. They must have grabbed the secratary on their way out of the office and told her to drive the cars and had a guy with a stop watch and a flag to signal start.
Maybe they did the consumer reports test: put it in gear and floor it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #117
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post

I know right? But I also just meant that in general nothing was really surprising.

I figured the Camaro would win the acceleration match hands down, with the real battle taking place between the GT and R/T for the second place slot.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #118
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3352 View Post
Guys that was great, the comparison turned out exectly the way I thought it would... Camaro on top, its hot, new and powerful. That quarter mile run of 13.0 @110mph is fast as hell, my question is what does it cost... and why are they not comparing it to the Challlenger SRT-8, and GT-500 as they have 400+ bhp... Just a heads up.. the new Camaro is faster that the Challenger SRT-8... not to 60, but throught the 1/4 mile... but not the 08-09 Shelby GT500...500-bhp 4.4 sec to 60 and the 1/4 in 12.7@ 114mph... also, new info on the 2010 GT500.. it will have 540bhp 510 lb/ft torque... but it will cost $46,000... they are already claiming they shaved off over 3/10ths off of the 0-60 time and almost a half sec of the 1/4 at beter than 118mph... I head GM may use the Cadillac motor from the CTS-V (556-bhp) but they are running lean on cash and shelved the idea as money and the financial markets have decimated GM... Im a big Ford fan, but im hoping GM can pull out of this... good luck Camaro guys
its a great day to be a car guy!

Holy crap.

Showing this to a doctor should be good for some Ritalin.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #119
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Holy crap.

Showing this to a doctor should be good for some Ritalin.
I think what you mean is use more sentences and fewer pauses, it helps with the readability.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 03-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #120
gagliano7

Drives: gm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
because cost makes more sense than hp as a basis for comparison, a GT with the track pack costs about as much as a Camaro SS. And the Mustang GT is closer in power to the Camaro than the GT500 is. Some disagree with my cost argument, and thats fine. But the fact is, there is nothing on the market that is similar to the GT500 right now. So until there is a supercharged or LS7 powered Camaro (or supercharged Challenger/SRT10), Ford has that particular market to themselves.
The new corvette c6(not the Z06) will run with the GT500.I seen one totally stock run a 11.80 at 120mph.
gagliano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #121
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Why wasn't the SRT8 challenger used instead of R/T?
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #122
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
Why wasn't the SRT8 challenger used instead of R/T?
because the price difference is practically non-existent with the R/T

These reviews are not testing the absolute best of each manufacturer against its counterpart. They are testing the sales competitors against each other. Huge difference.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #123
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
I'm sure this is a repost, but Edmunds got a 14.2 1/4 mile for the V6 when it went up against the Hyundai Genesis Coupe V6. They have similar horsepower but the Camaro weighs hundreds more yet almost matches the performance stats of the Hyundai, within .1 seconds anyway. The Camaro was cheaper IIRC and clearly better looking.

Way to go GM!!
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #124
NewCar

Drives: hand me down pickup
hard plastics, soft materials

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Depends on what your standards for a good interior are. Edmunds narrows their definition down to "soft plastics = good, hard plastics = bad." The problem is, I've seen plenty of interiors with hard plastics that are otherwise very durable, have a good texture, and all the major contact points are padded. On the flip side, I've seen plenty of interiors with soft plastics that felt like cheese left out in the sun too long. At least one other review noted that while the plastic is "hard", it still feels very high quality. So I guess it depends on what your definition is and who you believe. I'm withholding judgment until I feel it myself.

Durability of materials.
In my old 91 Nissan, the soft plastics used in the inside peeled and cracked like athlete's foot. The softer steering wheel melted open at the top under the windshield completely exposing the steel wheel within. That burns your hands fierce on a hot summer day. But my sisters dodge ram, with very very hard plastics cracked and broke the dashboard over and over, and the bezel around the guages and radio pops off every minute. The heat will crack them, but also the forces from how well the pieces fit together. These are two different problems with two different material types. Hard plastics probably weigh less though.
NewCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #125
stanczyk

Drives: Camaro
camaro all the way

yes ,
great idea to compare the cars

Camaro is best car of the three (overall)
Black SS for me !

..but every one is diferent,
RT Chall is the purest muscle (bad interior except Pistol G!)
Gt Mustang is too weak with it's 315 BHP (where's 5.0 or 6,2 L Boss?)
but GT500 is superb muscle ..and it's sounds cool A!

we'are waiting for z28 Camaro...and others
GTO , Impala SS , smaller than "full-size" Challanger Barracuda?

I hope they wont be a wictim of that crisis and Eco-crazyness !

modern muscle debate
ernwopr@wp.pl
stanczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #126
princevj28

Drives: 2009 Chevy Cobalt LT coupe
Send a message via AIM to princevj28
i feel like it'd be more interesting to compare the srt-8 chally to the new camaro, it'd actually be a competition, and from all the numbers the chally srt-8 is almost dead even with the camaro SS......though i suppose they chose the R/T for these reviews b/c its in the same price range.....
princevj28 is offline   Reply With Quote