Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Which would you actually spend $35k on?
Volt - Because gas is getting too expensive for an SS. 5 3.47%
Volt - But only for my spouse to drive. 0 0%
SS - I love the smell of gasoline and burning rubber. 139 96.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #57
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
if i stated how i really feel this place would need censors up the wazoo and thus wouldn't be readable....
You an me both bud.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #58
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
believe me there isn't enough of a market of people who want to buy this car just because it supposedly "saves the environment" anybody interested in high mpg mileage vehicles are doing it because they are strapped for cash and want to curb high gas prices...

as an expensive car for eco-warriors it has very little market viablity...trust me this global warming crap is going to die down and has already started to die down...general electric wishes they didn't invest so much in their green marketing
Explain the Prius then. It costs $10k more than a basic economy car and Toyota has sold hundreds of thousands of them. There is no economic justification for it. Even the total environmental picture for them doesn't work out. Yet they still sell.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:25 PM   #59
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
You an me both bud.
X3 sometimes. I have to constantly edit my posts so I don't get myself in trouble, LOL.

Volt :seesaw: Camaro... Do I really have to think about this?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:44 PM   #60
jojohn33

Drives: tt
the go green campaign is the modern day Santa Claus. They pulled it off though.
jojohn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #61
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojohn33 View Post
the go green campaign is the modern day Santa Claus. They pulled it off though.
Till everyone realizes America is the only place that is REALLY pushing this 'Green' crap....
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #62
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Till everyone realizes America is the only place that is REALLY pushing this 'Green' crap....
America has the largest rates of consumption in the world for virtually ANY resource, gasoline included. We're actually pretty late to this party. This is the reason why you see such small vehicles in Europe, plus there's Brazil, which basically runs completely off of sugarcane ethanol (not that crappy corn ethanol we have).

The reason we haven't cared until recently is because Americans have been very fortunate in terms of prices of gas (heck, gas is like 5 bucks per litre across the pond). That's starting to change.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:37 PM   #63
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
If the Volt looked anything like the concept, maybe, but that POS in the picture looks like a Mazda 3 crashed into the back of a Malibu.

Thank goodness the Camaro SS looks very similar to the concept!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
35k for an SS? No thanks. Thats nearly 50k in Canadian pricing.

I thought the Canadian dollar to the American dollar was about even now?
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....

Last edited by TAG UR IT; 09-11-2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: double post..please use multi-quote button. thanks!
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #64
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
GM pricing in Canada is completely independent from the value of the local currency. The cost is ridiculous.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #65
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
America has the largest rates of consumption in the world for virtually ANY resource, gasoline included. We're actually pretty late to this party. This is the reason why you see such small vehicles in Europe, plus there's Brazil, which basically runs completely off of sugarcane ethanol (not that crappy corn ethanol we have).

The reason we haven't cared until recently is because Americans have been very fortunate in terms of prices of gas (heck, gas is like 5 bucks per litre across the pond). That's starting to change.
even though our gas is taxed by both the state and the country...we pale in comparison to the taxes the europeans get...

but there are certain regulations in the american market that restricts companies like gm and ford ...

for instance ford has a diesel car in europe that gets 65 mpg but they can't build it here in america because its diesel....

i really really want the volt to succeed and if it looked like the concept i really considered having it as a daily car even at that price...but it looks too japanese and i wanted an american version of an electric car...it seems like they are trying to immitate instead of innovate ...

now hopefully many first time buyers buy the car so that it can survive and economies of scale takes place with the technology and eventually it will become an affordable everday vehicle...

i may still support gm with this just because i'm biased towards american cars and i want their first major effort to succeed...so I will refrain from bashing it anymore and wait to hear official information from gm themselves I mean the purple one from transformers didn't look that bad
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #66
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
thats a big difference...it now lacks that "unique"ness...and has that japanese sorta emptyness to it.
Attached Images

TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #67
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
i really really want the volt to succeed and if it looked like the concept i really considered having it as a daily car even at that price...but it looks too japanese and i wanted an american version of an electric car...it seems like they are trying to immitate instead of innovate ...
I don't think that's entirely true. The Volt in concept form was pure hotness like a sexy hippe chick, but it was an invariable brick in the wind tunnel. The elongated egg shape of this segment of cars has little to do with aestetics, but is designed to maximize usable interior space and reduce drag with a relatively small exterior size. Smaller car + better aerodynamics ~ less weight and less drag = better fuel economy/less strain on electric motors. It would've been great if the Volt had retained it's original sexiness, but as we've all learned very clearly here while griping over our Camaro, concept to production changes aren't do just for sh*ts and giggles.

Last edited by blackZbandit; 09-11-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #68
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post

Actually, that is now China for everything except oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
yes, but that doesn't matter when pricing on everything is set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
GM pricing in Canada is completely independent from the value of the local currency. The cost is ridiculous.
Its not just GM, its not just the automakers either. Our economy is setup for the Canadian dollar to be around $0.80 to the US dollar. Things are slowly changing but everyone is generally waiting for the US economy to go back to normal. Any radical changes would be worse than how things are now.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 PM   #69
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
thats a big difference...it now lacks that "unique"ness...and has that japanese sorta emptyness to it.
the concept actually made it look like it could be camaro's bookworm little brother who's smart but still gets girls because he is so sophisticated and debonaire...

now it just looks like the nerdy asain kid everyone used to cheat off of in class
Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #70
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackZbandit View Post
The Volt in concept form was pure hotness like a sexy hippe chick, but it was an invariable brick in the wind tunnel. It would've been great if the Volt had retained it's original sexiness, but as we've all learned very clearly here while griping over our Camaro, concept to production changes aren't do just for sh*ts and giggles.

Perfect example
Attached Images

TFord is offline   Reply With Quote