Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 05-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
TaterDog

Drives: 96 4Runner
Newbie Going to Place Order--Predictions?

Hey Camaro Fans,

I'm going to place an order for my first Camaro tomorrow. I've wanted to own a muscle car since I was 13. My older brother had a 68 Mustang, but I liked the Camaro better. A good friend of mine in high school owned a '67 or '68 convert (I think) and, after owning some OK cars (a 96 Maxima) I'm finally in a position to buy my own REAL car.

I've been lurking here for a while and wanted to thank all of you for your great posts and the bounty of information you have shared. All of this stuff has really helped me decide what model, color, options I want, as well as warn me about expectations, mis-information and dealer b.s.

I'm in a funny position with respect to ordering. While I crave the car and would like to have it tomorrow, I am a writer and as an author of books, I only get paid about once or twice per year. My next payday is coming mid-July. This puts me in a weird position because on the one hand I don't want to take delivery for a while, but fear that if I wait to order in late June or July, I won't have my car until fall...or worse. I think I've found a way to finance in case she comes in before I get paid, and I guess I have decided to roll the dice. Makes me feel like a teenager again--that attitude of One Way or Another I WILL Buy This Car...parents and banks be damned.

I have wrestled with the choice between 2SS and 2LT, and it's not been easy. I think I could afford the V-8. WAIT... I'm 37. I'm not out to race people at stop lights (not that there's anything wrong with THAT). But after so many positive reviews of the V-6, the opportunity to save $7K, get better mileage, lower insurance, and still get a great car that will be used as something between a daily driver and a recreational indulgence, I am leaning strongly toward the 2LT. It just seems like a ton of car and options for the money (and I am, after all, a writer, not a doctor or, uhm, banker). The only catch is, I have yet to drive either, and am afraid that if I drive an SS I will want it too badly to ignore. Still, with the $ saved, I might be able to hop it up later, customize, make it more MY car.

Anyway, I thought I would post what I intend to order tomorrow and see what your predictions for delivery dates are. I have found a dealer in WI who has agreed to sell at MSRP. Sales person says she has some (2) allocations left. I plan to order a 2LT/RS in CGM, with IO interior. 6M. Could take or leave the sunroof, but I guess I will order one since I am forgoing the SS (95% sure, anyway). I was dead set on the IOM exterior with tan leather (which is gorgeous), but the shots of the CGM here have persuaded me that gray--especially with orange interior--will be a beautiful and perhaps less common combo. Subtle outside, screaming inside...more my personality, I think. I live quietly and write horror novels...so this feels right.

So, considering the gray and manual V-6, when do you think I might get the magic call? July? Later? Earlier? I'm OK with either, but if it comes in mid-July or August, that would be perfect. Even if it comes in September, I will have little to complain about (especially in light of how long some of you guys have been waiting).

Al right. Just wanted to say hello in my first post. I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the passion for Camaros here hasn't been infectious and pushed me to move faster. So thanks for all the info and advance, and for making this a fun place to read about the most exciting American car to come along in ages.

Feel free to make fun of my late to the party V-6 inclinations, and provide whatever feedback you want to.

Chris
TaterDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
LadiesMan217

Drives: '10 IOM/IO 2SS/RS
Welcome...and you've made a great choice in a vehicle!

Any way you slice it (2LT or 2SS), you'll be happy.

My suggestion (based on what you said) is to spend a little more and get the SS. I say this because you said, "I've wanted to own a muscle car since I was 13." Yes, there is power in the 2LT...it's not a muscle car. It's a refined car with the look of a muscle car. Yes, it has 304 horses and compared to the other two "muscle car 6-bangers," it delivers.

I had the opportunity to drive a 1LT/RS and I loved it. (It had the Boston Acoustics sound system, and the Convenience & Connectivity package).
I found myself wanting more when I got it on the highway though. Sure, there was plenty of passing power...but I longed for that "throw you back in your seat" that I know I will only get in the SS.

Also, don't forget that the engine isn't the only difference. The suspension, brakes, etc. are different.

So, if I were in your shoes, I'd trade the 7,000 for the power. That's me though. Maybe gas mileage and the $7,000 is more important to you. Nobody can make the choice but you...but, like I said, you can't go wrong with either.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
wirebender

Drives: 2017 ZL1, A10, White, sunroof, nav
You said you want a real car....go for the gusto man! Get the SS...you wont regret it! The way I see it is if you get the V6 you will ALWAYS wonder about the V8! Besides, real muscle cars probably aren't gonna be around much longer....Tats my$.02!
wirebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
V8 = Muscle Car.......(I said it)
SSOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
2010SSRS

Drives: 2000 Silverado
Congrats fellow Wisconsinite! you can't loose with either package.

as far as July delivery..........just BE SURE you know about your dealers allocations.

meaning that if they have 2 left, great! BUT.......how many total did they get? what # would you be? how many of theirs has GM pulled? how many in front of you? how many monthly is GM pulling from them? these are all things i wish i wouldv'e known before i ordered.

if you don't mind waiting past July, it doesn't matter. if you would like close to July, it does matter.

VR 2SSRS LS3 - Borla, SLP CAI
2010SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I agonized over that choice for a while, too. Ended up going with a 2SS/RS. I figured well, if I'm gonna throw down cash for a Camaro, might as well get a fully-loaded one eh?

Also, good luck with your writing! Hopefully your next payday goes very well so you can just get the SS and not have to be on the fence about it
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
TaterDog

Thanks

To those who threw in on this thread, thank you. I appreciate the advice and perspective. I had a long talk with a good friend today, another guy who loves cars, and he was relating a story to me about how he waited over a year to get his Beemer M5. The long and short of his advice was, if you're going to step up and get the car, the THE car. Go big or stay at home.

So, for the record, I think he and the rest of you are right. Yes, it's $7K, but look at that over the life of the car and it's not much to pay for feeling like you left nothing on the table to worry about later.

A 2SS it is, then.

So then, to follow up, what are the most crucial things to ask my dealer about allocation vs. waiting lists vs. my order, etc? If my dealer tells me she has 2 allocations left, they haven't received any cars yet, and it may take 6-10 weeks, what else do I need to ask? As I said, I am OK with 6-10 weeks, even 12. If this starts to turn into a situation where September is ending and I don't have a car, I'm going to begin regretting my choice of dealers...

Well, sorry, this has probably been covered a million times here. Any last minute advice before I take the plunge would be welcome.

I am also considering dropping the RS package. The more I think about that, the less important it seems. I like the polished 20" wheels just fine (saw the 19s of them on that black Camaro posted today), and the headlights, while nice, don't seem worth the $. I could care less about the spoiler, so I don't think there's a compelling reason to keep the RS...unless I am missing something.

Jesus these colors are hard to choose from. I like 4 of them, but especially IOM and CGM. Looking at the talk on this board, it seems like IOM is going to be the more common color. But maybe in a year it won't matter. There might be a lot of all the colors rolling around.

So I guess I am sticking with my earlier choices. 2SS in CGM, IO interior, no RS, 6M.

Should be a hoot!

Thanks again.

Chris
Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #8
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Good choice and welcome to the site!

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
great car to order welcome to the site good luck

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterDog View Post

Well, sorry, this has probably been covered a million times here. Any last minute advice before I take the plunge would be welcome.

I am also considering dropping the RS package. The more I think about that, the less important it seems. I like the polished 20" wheels just fine (saw the 19s of them on that black Camaro posted today), and the headlights, while nice, don't seem worth the $. I could care less about the spoiler, so I don't think there's a compelling reason to keep the RS...unless I am missing something.

Should be a hoot!

Thanks again.

Chris
If you are getting the 2SS it comes with the spoiler already... and if you like the polished wheels, you have to spend the extra cash to order them anyway. The lights are the biggest part of the RS package, so if you don't care about them, I agree go with the non-RS.

By the way, I love horror. I wouldn't mind checking out one of your books if you give me enough information to find one.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
If you order now you will get your car before people who ordered last year for the most part.........for some reason......but it all comes down to who you order from .......I'm way down on the list and don't expect to see mine until this fall and I ordered in Dec 08.

Good Luck with whichever way you go. I went with a V6 myself.......I have had enought tickets with my old Camaro's and I really don't want to go there again.......but the V6 will also have enough power and get up and go to get a ticket if my heavy foot doesn't get in trouble. Although I will miss the V8 sound....I'm okay with saving $7k.......I have a house and other things that are more important in my life.....this car would make me fell a lot younger but as it has been on here it is making me get older listening to all the whinning and I can see most people's point as one who did order last year but the newbies that just stop by and get one off the lot aren't appreciated as much as the ones who have been here waiting. Just my $0.02
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
TaterDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
By the way, I love horror. I wouldn't mind checking out one of your books if you give me enough information to find one.
Thanks for the interest, Sterlingnotes. I swear I didn't intend to come here and plug my work, but since you asked, yes, I wrote a wickedly scary novel called THE BIRTHING HOUSE. It was released in the UK this January and will be released in the US August 4th of this year. It is available for pre-order now on Amazon and other book sites. You can read more about it on my author site, www.ransomesque.com.

Thanks again for the interest and the info about ordering. This is a cool community and a welcome distraction from those pages I am supposed to be working on right now for the next book...

Cheers, gang. I'll let you know if I hear anything interesting from the dealer tomorrow.

Chris
Old 05-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #13
qbert48

Drives: 2SS SIM
:sm2::sm2::sm2::sm2::sm2:

read the sig

welcome home
1100 4-27-09
6000 6-27-09

yes i got to the dance late don't hate me
qbert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
TaterDog

Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbert48 View Post
:sm2::sm2::sm2::sm2::sm2:

read the sig
Sorry, man. I know. I promise, I wasn't trying to spam anyone. Another member asked me about my work, so I answered. I won't post anything about it again. I want to respect this place too.

Chris