Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
GreenMachine11

Drives: 2015 Bright Yellow 2SS 1LE
Send a message via Yahoo to GreenMachine11 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenMachine11
**Rx Catch Can Troubleshoot**

Hey guys I've had this issue for a solid few months...As a result I have not been able to empty my catch can. It has been bone dry for the past 4-5 oil changes every time I would try to empty it.
I have emailed Tracy regarding this issue. And as far as I can tell, the can nor the vacuum hoses are clogged, & everything is assembled correctly. HOWEVER, I want to get to the bottom of this issue so I am taking it back to the local reputable shop I had install it.
UPDATE** I had my oil changed today & thought I'd check my catch can again--still nothing. Absolutely bone dry....BUT this time I turned the engine on to check it. I then noticed the can was making a rattling/notchy noise.
I've never heard it make that noise before...Then I took the tubing off & felt air sucking from the bottom of the can....like it was trying to suck in air.
Now I'm not a mechanic, but is this normal?? The noise I was hearing sounded like air being pulled through the tube...is this a normal function of the catch can?? I hope & pray no serious damage has been done to my engine.
I would like to add that I have switched between using Mobile 1 Oil to Amsoil then back to Mobile 1..I don't think that could be a factor though...

So what is your all's interpretation of what's happened with my catch can?
Any input is appreciated! Thanks guys
-Chris
GreenMachine11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine11 View Post
Hey guys I've had this issue for a solid few months...As a result I have not been able to empty my catch can. It has been bone dry for the past 4-5 oil changes every time I would try to empty it.
I have emailed Tracy regarding this issue. And as far as I can tell, the can nor the vacuum hoses are clogged, & everything is assembled correctly. HOWEVER, I want to get to the bottom of this issue so I am taking it back to the local reputable shop I had install it.
UPDATE** I had my oil changed today & thought I'd check my catch can again--still nothing. Absolutely bone dry....BUT this time I turned the engine on to check it. I then noticed the can was making a rattling/notchy noise.
I've never heard it make that noise before...Then I took the tubing off & felt air sucking from the bottom of the can....like it was trying to suck in air.
Now I'm not a mechanic, but is this normal?? The noise I was hearing sounded like air being pulled through the tube...is this a normal function of the catch can?? I hope & pray no serious damage has been done to my engine.

So what is your all's interpretation of what's happened with my catch can?
Any input is appreciated! Thanks guys
-Chris
You probably have left the drain valve open. That is why it is sucking air from the bottom. Start the car again and turn the valve the other direction to see it the sucking from the bottom of the can quits.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
GreenMachine11

Send a message via Yahoo to GreenMachine11 Send a message via Skype™ to GreenMachine11
Okay thanks Angry Bird. I will try that!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Anytime you feel suction coming from the clear tube you have the can open. The rattling sound is normal also if you open the can while the car is running. Shouldn't cause any damage though. If you post up some pictures of your install we can check to see of all is installed correctly
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
What they said.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Yeah.. u have left the valve open at the bottom so no oil being retained.. have u seen any oil trips where u parked u car?? That's how I realized I had mine open..
Old 06-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
You probably have left the drain valve open. That is why it is sucking air from the bottom. Start the car again and turn the valve the other direction to see it the sucking from the bottom of the can quits.
Angrybird nailed.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Yup! That's why it has caught no oil.

You need the threads out, extended to be closed, threads in is open.

99.9% of the time when there is zero oil caught it is the drain mistakenly left open.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
GreenMachine11

Thanks guys!! Y'all have been a tremendous help. I'm confident that the valve is closed now
Old 08-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Wilson_51

Drives: 2010 Lt Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Angrybird nailed.
I finally got my catch can in, but only to find out I was sent the wrong one. I ordered the single valve but I was sent the dual valve. Could I still use the dual valve can the same as I would the single valve?
Wilson_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #11
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
I was doing the same thing for about 8k miles, wondering why my catch can wasn't catching any oil. Had the frickin thing open. Now that its closed it's draining oil every oil change.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson_51 View Post
I finally got my catch can in, but only to find out I was sent the wrong one. I ordered the single valve but I was sent the dual valve. Could I still use the dual valve can the same as I would the single valve?
I think you can but you need to plug one of the inlets, I don't know if it matters which one. Hopefully someone with more k owl edge in this area can help.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #13
Wilson_51

Drives: 2010 Lt Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I think you can but you need to plug one of the inlets, I don't know if it matters which one. Hopefully someone with more k owl edge in this area can help.
That's kinda what I figured you could do, but I want to be 100% sure before I do anything. I sure don't want to have to send it back because it took FOREVER just to get this one
Wilson_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
lincoln361

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson_51 View Post
I got a single a rx catch can that is a single but I need a dual valve. It is metallic black. Maybe we can swap? Up to you
SLP TVS 2300- 1 7/8 LG Headers- RDS NX Plate- 75 Shot- No Cats- SLP Loudmouth 2- NW102- 3.8 Pulley- OD Cog drive-12lbs boost-FIC 80# injectors-ZL1 Fuel Pump- RotoFab CAI- Apex CAI Scoop- Pat G Tune- Weld RTS drag pack- BMR Trailing Arms- BMR 1'' Drop Springs-BMR Lower Control Arms- BMR Toe Rods- BMR Rear Cradle Bushings- BMR Upper Control Arm Bushings- BMR Extreme Anti- Rollbar- Hotchkis Subframe Brace- Prosport Evo Boost & F/A Ratio
lincoln361 is offline   Reply With Quote