Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #15
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I am trying to sell my 2008 C350 and I hate it. It rides like it's on rails, but the power delivery is weird, shifts weird (it isn't broken or messed up, that's just how it works), parts are way more expensive, and everytime I get in my Camaro (that I've had for a week) I wonder why I even bought the Mercedes. Oh ya, and the paint on Mercedes sucks. I had a 2000 and it was getting little rust spots all over the car. My 2008's driver handle is fading, and there are little spots all over the car that remind me of what happened to my 2000.

Last edited by LCPLPunk; 07-22-2016 at 09:43 PM.
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:44 PM   #16
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
Had two German cars - C230 Kompressor and an A4.

Like you have heard from above posts - Unless it is NEW with full warranty... RUN FAR RUN FAST!!!!

Like my grandmother used to say, "EVERYBODY can't be wrong"

PLEASE, MY BROTHER - take it from the "THE BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, GOT THE T-SHIRT CLUB" here... DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

That pretty much sums up my feelings on this matter. I wish you the best of luck, and COMMON sense.
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #17
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Traded my Bimmer for the Camaro because of RBA (Repair Bill Anxiety). You see, it eventually happens to all German cars; the repair bill that is actually higher than the value of the vehicle.

It may be worth it if you have a lot of money, and you don't care. I am not of that economic status however.

Bottom line, even if it passes inspection with flying colors, only rich people can afdord to own a German car beyond it's full warranty... JMHO
Old 07-22-2016, 10:40 PM   #18
Bamaguy

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Traded my AMG E550 with a Kleemann supercharger and eisenmann exhaust system for my Camaro. As others have said the repair bills are freaky scary. My advice would be never own one out of warranty. I made that mistake and it cost me over 12K in repair bills. Dealerships prices are crazy high and labor costs are just as ridiculous. A and B services do not sound like much...I never left the dealership without giving them $500.00. Its your money but I would caution against owning one out of warranty.
Bamaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:47 PM   #19
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Maybe we got lucky.. but my better half had a C230 Kompressor hatchback quite a few years back. Bought it brand new, drove it for probably 110k, and the only problem it ever had was a seized pully, which wound up shredding the serpentine belt. Aside from the usual consumables, it was hands down the most reliable car I've ever had.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:48 PM   #20
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
way way too over engineered..there's a video on you tube with some mechanic that's been in the buisness 30 years showing how it costs like 3000 usd just to replace the spark plugs due to the engine needing raising up..
your camaro is simple engineering dude..something goes wrong it's quite simple to sort..you will regret buying german for sure..i wouldn't have a merc free of charge..seen SO many people get bitten by them.they bring out a new model every week lol..
right now you own an american icon..that merc is not an iconic car and never will be.
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:01 PM   #21
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcloak View Post
Maybe we got lucky.. but my better half had a C230 Kompressor hatchback quite a few years back. Bought it brand new, drove it for probably 110k, and the only problem it ever had was a seized pully, which wound up shredding the serpentine belt. Aside from the usual consumables, it was hands down the most reliable car I've ever had.
My Bimmer had 130k on it with no major issues.... But I knew that was pushing it... hence the sale.

I was under the assumption I would do some work on it myself. Bad idea. Just changing a headlight can bring you to the edge of sanity. There is NOTHING fun about working on a German car.

However, sometimes experience is the best, and only teacher some people understand. To each his own.
Old 07-23-2016, 12:35 AM   #22
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Well maintenance is cheap if you do it yourself...the dealer will always charge astronomical prices for even the simple stuff.

Wiper change? 50 bucks please
Oil change? $150 bucks please...
And so on....
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
deweyg63

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 500+ h.p. monster
A whole bunch of hell no for me on that one! Might as well tie a cardigan around your neck and join the country club
deweyg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #24
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
If you plan on taking care of it as recommended plan on each visit costing between 500-600 per service. If you don't follow the service intervals plan on pushing it off a cliff, of leaving the keys in it in hope that someone will steal it. I swear all the German manufacturers have engineered failure rather than the longevity that they used to be famous for. Once you cross a certain mileage it just dominoes of failure. Stupidly expensive failures.

Things like BMW's famous electric water pump guaranteed to fail by 75000 miles and and about 2000 to change. Sounds like a simple DIY? Pump is 600.00 and will take you to the brink of insanity trying to change without tearing 1/2 the components out of the engine bay. Then when your done you will discover that you need a special obd plug in to bleed the system.

Then there is the Audi 2.0 that uses the valve cover as a camshaft upper journal. If the valve cover leaks, you have to remove the cam chain, cams,.and everything off the front of the engine. A repair that should be simple, is now a 1500.00 valve cover gasket swap.

Mercedes is no different the car is designed to be difficult, and expensive to service......
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:35 PM   #25
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Why would anyone want to use money they stashed away for car repair bills? We want to do mods not spend them on repair bills..

I never had to buy a german car to learn my lesson, I jst watched my friends struggle with their BMWS all the time to know not to get one.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 03:03 PM   #26
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
This thread warms my heart. I am tired of the BS image that German cars have but did not earn. Just because it costs WAAAY more does not make it better. I would drive a German car if it was given to me, but wouldn't spend a dime of my own money to maintain or fix it, it's a losing battle. Hell, I'd pay money for a Korean car before German, at least it's cheap and easy to fix WHEN it breaks.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #27
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogabooga View Post
I can get an awesome deal on a 2010 Mercedes CLS550 with 33K miles. Anyone have experience with these cars?
If you can budget and afford the $1,000/mo in maintenance, absolutely, go for it. 100% of every Merc owner I've met or heard of, sold them in a fit of rage and never looked back (many of them COULD afford them).
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #28
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
I work with a guy who drives about 100 miles a day to and from work. Loves his Mercedes-Benz but buys a new one every 2-3 years. He tells me he does it because he does not want to own one once it's out of warranty due to the repair costs.