Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #29
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
if it's to loud your to old, louder the better (right Mike)
Ohhhh Dayum... I'm must be borderline old now.... I cringe at 5:30 startups every morning w/ the garage door closed...

But I'm not changing a thing...
Old 01-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #30
kaos_ss

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Touring System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITGuy11 View Post
Get the Borla Touring axle back exhaust. You can remove the ATAK mufflers and the Touring ones should bolt right up. I have Kooks with the Touring and the sound level is deeper and louder than stock, but not obnoxious.

Do you get any drone with this set up? Because I've had the full Kooks system on for two days now and personally can't stand the drone especially when I'm on the expressway.

I wasn't sure but I am now. I'm changing this setup. I love the headers so they are staying but changing the rest.
kaos_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #31
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos_ss View Post
Do you get any drone with this set up? Because I've had the full Kooks system on for two days now and personally can't stand the drone especially when I'm on the expressway.

I wasn't sure but I am now. I'm changing this setup. I love the headers so they are staying but changing the rest.
I'm worried about drone with Headers too. If I do go with LT's I'll probably do the Hemholtz deal to my Flowmasters if it makes too much noise/drone. Or I'll just keep searching for the perfect mufflers/exhaust....

From my recent readings on C-5, it appears the 2 setups that would be the most quiet with LT headers, would be the Borla Touring and Magnaflow Street. I would love to hear them both in person.

Trying to get the perfect blend of sound & performance, while limiting drone is proving to be very frustrating...

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #32
CamaroCowboy

Drives: 2013 Chevy Truck
The Kooks Street Sleeper is a very nice set-up that sounds great at idle and amazing when on the throttle. It is a perfect combo. I have LT's also.

There is ZERO drone with my set-up.

Texas speed LT Headers and High Flow Cats, Magnaflow 3 inch cat-back Exhaust, SNL V2 Comp CAM, Texas Speed Underdrive Pully, G5CR CAI, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, JetFlo Mass Air Sensor, Custom Grill, Amber AAC Headlight and Fog Light Halo, Amber footwell Lighting, Amber under hood lighting, RK Sport Ram Air /Heat Extractor Hood and ADM Racing Scoop. 447.9 RWHP 428 TQ
My car is exactly that, No one has to like it but me!
CamaroCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:02 PM   #33
Terryss

Drives: 2010 cyber gray metallic @ss
i have the kooks and atax on my 2ss. it makes people drool all over themselves, remember the camaro is american muscle, let it sound like it!
Terryss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #34
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
If you want to sell the Atak..... I am all for it... Just let me know what your looking to get out of it.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #35
Dvenom

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Silver
Video post would be nice
Dvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #36
cleanwhiteSS
2011 White Camaro RS/2SS

Drives: 2011 White Camaro RS/2SS
So are you selling your atak....
cleanwhiteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #37
wolfpackfan2317

Drives: '10 SS/RS Cyber gray/Silver stripes
thats the sound i was goin for (LT and ATAK axel back). Id be a buyer if your goin back to stock
wolfpackfan2317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #38
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
I went with S type... ATAK was far too raspy for me.

The common voice among this forum is
ATAK if you don't want headers
S type if you plan on doing headers.

S type isn't too loud when cruising, but WOT, idle and start up are incredible. Deeper tone than ATAK.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #39
rjdapilmoto
DAP-ONE [COTW - 12/23/13]

Drives: 2010 - 2SS/RS IOM
My hearing must not be too good anymore, because I have the ATAK on mine with stock manifolds and I need it to be louder! Towards the end of this month, I'll be going with either ARH or Kooks LTs.
rjdapilmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #40
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdapilmoto View Post
My hearing must not be too good anymore, because I have the ATAK on mine with stock manifolds and I need it to be louder! Towards the end of this month, I'll be going with either ARH or Kooks LTs.

Wait til you get headers with the atak's........ I have the touring and I also cringe a little at 530 am startup with the garage door closed, especially when the idle is coming down there is a level where the bass is vibrating everything thing in the house (hopefully not the neighbors), still gives me a big grin though . Once the idle drops back down it's not a whole lot louder than with stock manifolds, resonator, and axle back. But the roar at start up and when getting into the throttle is a lot louder with headers and hi flow cats.
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #41
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback700 View Post
Wait til you get headers with the atak's........ I have the touring and I also cringe a little at 530 am startup with the garage door closed, especially when the idle is coming down there is a level where the bass is vibrating everything thing in the house (hopefully not the neighbors), still gives me a big grin though . Once the idle drops back down it's not a whole lot louder than with stock manifolds, resonator, and axle back. But the roar at start up and when getting into the throttle is a lot louder with headers and hi flow cats.
Agreed... I had to do it today at 6... It is almost violently loud at cold start up if you haven't driven it in a few days. lol

Obviously it seems to subside quite a bit as it warms up...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #42
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Agreed... I had to do it today at 6... It is almost violently loud at cold start up if you haven't driven it in a few days. lol

Obviously it seems to subside quite a bit as it warms up...

I've had people stand behind it with a cold start.......... fun to watch them jump a little and eyes pop open...... then the smile comes!! Just freaking awesome!!! What's cool is that once it idles down I can sneak down the street pretty quietly.

This is a piece of information most people don't realize when watching all the videos of exhausts, especially people who still want the car on the quieter side. The start up can be quite a roar, and revving it can sound like a beast, but the idle comes down A LOT and can actual be pretty quiet for early morning work times.
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote