Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #29
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Simply fantastic. Awesome craftsmanship!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #30
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Very cool. Amazing workmanship!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #31
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
How much do the ARP bolts weigh compared to the factory bolts they're replacing? Have you done a weight comparison?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #32
Synner

Drives: cars
You would need titanium bolts for a significant weight difference; not worth it to me.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
snickerdoodle

Drives: 2013 1LE AGM 2SS RS M6
Anyone have a idea how much weight could be saved via Titanium bolts???
Old 04-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #34
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
$20K in titanium bolts would save you about 40 lbs...
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #35
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex70olds View Post
Simply fantastic. Awesome craftsmanship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Very cool. Amazing workmanship!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
How much do the ARP bolts weigh compared to the factory bolts they're replacing? Have you done a weight comparison?
No because that would mean that I had forethought like you which I don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
You would need titanium bolts for a significant weight difference; not worth it to me.
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Anyone have a idea how much weight could be saved via Titanium bolts???
Straight from ARP catalog. See text in the box at the bottom of the page.

Name:  Untitlaaed.jpg
Views: 4832
Size:  183.0 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
$20K in titanium bolts would save you about 40 lbs...
Dang that is a lot for very little.

Quick Update:

Control Arms

Unfortunately I didn't take any before pictures on the arms. It would have made it easier to appreciate all the work that went into them. Trust me they didn't look like this before.

Name:  028.jpg
Views: 4862
Size:  77.6 KB

I polished the caps on all the arms including the tie rods on the PS rack (not shown in the pics). When the car will be on the lift I will be able to admire all 6 caps being detailed.

Name:  029.jpg
Views: 4848
Size:  96.6 KB

Once I receive the Pfadt bushings I will replace these. I will also finish cleaning the arm. The perimeter gives you an idea of how rough the arms were.

Name:  033.jpg
Views: 4879
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  sdfs.jpg
Views: 4740
Size:  118.8 KB

What the heck, why not polish the clip for the boot (look closely) while I’m at it. I also polished the tips of the bolt that will be coming through the spindle.

Name:  034.JPG
Views: 4889
Size:  176.6 KB

By the way, I am currently working on the rear sub. Wait to you guys see it. I'm just currently trying to bring this thread current with the stuff I had already done. Te Hammerhead is also looking killer! Stay tuned!

Old 04-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #36
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

You can get aluminum bolts, nuts, washers, etc. which can be used for non-critical areas. They weigh about a third of what steel hardware does. They're also a lot cheaper than titanium.

I've considered that as one of my future projects to reduce more weight; switching out steel fasteners for aluminum in the front of the car wherever reasonable to do so. Might be able to save 5-10 lbs that way. Not a critical thing to do but just one of those casual projects for a weekend.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #37
Moreno1

Quote:
You can get aluminum bolts, nuts, washers, etc. which can be used for non-critical areas. They weigh about a third of what steel hardware does. They're also a lot cheaper than titanium.

I've considered that as one of my future projects to reduce more weight; switching out steel fasteners for aluminum in the front of the car wherever reasonable to do so. Might be able to save 5-10 lbs that way. Not a critical thing to do but just one of those casual projects for a weekend.

Hey Doc, Have you sourced a supplier for the aluminum bolts and what bolts did you have in mind that we can replace?

Update:

Power Steering Rack

Here are the humble beginnings of what we started with.

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 5103
Size:  106.5 KB

the plan was to pay homage to the Pfadt suspension components.

In the picture below, we developed a game plan on how to style the rack. The red circles represented the parts that were to be polished for a chrome finish; the orange circle represented the part that we were going to anodize in the Pfadt orange; the beige circle, the body of the rack, we were going to try to come as close to the Pfadt struts color as possible. Like all good plans, things did change as we progressed.

Name:  b.jpg
Views: 5281
Size:  130.8 KB

The process started with the dissasembly of the rack. We enlisted Lee’s Power Steering for the job.
Our first snag was that since this power steering rack was a new, late model design, there was not a tool available to remove the internal nut.

Name:  c.jpg
Views: 5458
Size:  132.0 KB

Most racks only require a four tooth socket to remove the nut. Ours required a five tooth socket. So we had to machine one.

Name:  d.jpg
Views: 5282
Size:  152.8 KB

Name:  e.jpg
Views: 5142
Size:  161.2 KB

Once the rack was completely disassembled, it was time to start detailing.
Not every day that you get to see the guts of your power steering rack!

Name:  f.jpg
Views: 5272
Size:  178.2 KB

We started to detail each separate component. This piece is where all the lines connect to. The plan was to anodize it orange to stay consistent with the Pfadt colors.
Raw beginnings: Since it was created by sand casting, it had a very rough finish.

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 6584
Size:  151.7 KB

In order to get a machined look, we hand sanded the entire piece. Hand sanding is a much more time consuming process than using power tools, but it is the most effective method to get an even surface.

Name:  h.jpg
Views: 5057
Size:  198.4 KB

Casted pieces will usually not give you as bright of an anodized finish as a billet piece. To help get that desired finish, we polished the piece to a mirror finish.

Name:  i.jpg
Views: 6632
Size:  124.6 KB

The piece was shipped to Pilkington Inc. in Utah to be anodized by the same company that does the anodizing for Pfadt.

Name:  j.jpg
Views: 5130
Size:  90.6 KB

The steering shaft and plug were also polished.

Attachment 494039

Name:  k.jpg
Views: 5082
Size:  72.5 KB

You can see where the nuts have been polished.

Name:  l.jpg
Views: 5044
Size:  71.9 KB

Next we prepared the tie rods for paint.

Name:  m.jpg
Views: 5134
Size:  87.7 KB

Before sending the housing to get powder coated in anthracite, we removed all of the seams and casting on the power steering housing. This is the before picture.

Name:  n.jpg
Views: 5029
Size:  75.2 KB

Many folks were instrumental in the completion of the rack. Jerry and Adam from Lee’s Power Steering are hard at work putting the rack back together. These guys really know their stuff. They machine pretty much all of their own stuff. The cad plated fittings were machined at the shop.

Name:  o.jpg
Views: 5108
Size:  143.1 KB

In order to replace the factory hard lines with AN stainless steel braided lines, Lee’s Power Steering machined these fittings. We had them CAD plated to provide a nice contrast.

Name:  p.jpg
Views: 5179
Size:  186.9 KB

Next up was the installation of the braided lines.

Name:  q.jpg
Views: 4974
Size:  167.8 KB

Name:  r.jpg
Views: 4937
Size:  132.0 KB

Name:  s.jpg
Views: 4976
Size:  149.0 KB

There wasn’t a detail that didn’t get addressed. The factory clamp below is of the garden variety and not up to the level we desired. So we replaced them with stainless steel clamps which were polished before they were installed.

Name:  t.jpg
Views: 4995
Size:  111.9 KB

Attachment 494050

Name:  u.jpg
Views: 4936
Size:  56.5 KB
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #38
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Hey Doc, Have you sourced a supplier for the aluminum bolts and what bolts did you have in mind that we can replace?

Update:

Power Steering Rack

Here are the humble beginnings of what we started with.

Attachment 494029

the plan was to pay homage to the Pfadt suspension components.

In the picture below, we developed a game plan on how to style the rack. The red circles represented the parts that were to be polished for a chrome finish; the orange circle represented the part that we were going to anodize in the Pfadt orange; the beige circle, the body of the rack, we were going to try to come as close to the Pfadt struts color as possible. Like all good plans, things did change as we progressed.

Attachment 494030

The process started with the dissasembly of the rack. We enlisted Lee’s Power Steering for the job.
Our first snag was that since this power steering rack was a new, late model design, there was not a tool available to remove the internal nut.

Attachment 494031

Most racks only require a four tooth socket to remove the nut. Ours required a five tooth socket. So we had to machine one.

Attachment 494032

Attachment 494033

Once the rack was completely disassembled, it was time to start detailing.
Not every day that you get to see the guts of your power steering rack!

Attachment 494034

We started to detail each separate component. This piece is where all the lines connect to. The plan was to anodize it orange to stay consistent with the Pfadt colors.
Raw beginnings: Since it was created by sand casting, it had a very rough finish.

Attachment 494035

In order to get a machined look, we hand sanded the entire piece. Hand sanding is a much more time consuming process than using power tools, but it is the most effective method to get an even surface.

Attachment 494036

Casted pieces will usually not give you as bright of an anodized finish as a billet piece. To help get that desired finish, we polished the piece to a mirror finish.

Attachment 494037

The piece was shipped to Pilkington Inc. in Utah to be anodized by the same company that does the anodizing for Pfadt.

Attachment 494038

The steering shaft and plug were also polished.

Attachment 494039

Attachment 494040

You can see where the nuts have been polished.

Attachment 494041

Next we prepared the tie rods for paint.

Attachment 494042

Before sending the housing to get powder coated in anthracite, we removed all of the seams and casting on the power steering housing. This is the before picture.

Attachment 494043

Many folks were instrumental in the completion of the rack. Jerry and Adam from Lee’s Power Steering are hard at work putting the rack back together. These guys really know their stuff. They machine pretty much all of their own stuff. The cad plated fittings were machined at the shop.

Attachment 494044

In order to replace the factory hard lines with AN stainless steel braided lines, Lee’s Power Steering machined these fittings. We had them CAD plated to provide a nice contrast.

Attachment 494045

Next up was the installation of the braided lines.

Attachment 494046

Attachment 494047

Attachment 494048

There wasn’t a detail that didn’t get addressed. The factory clamp below is of the garden variety and not up to the level we desired. So we replaced them with stainless steel clamps which were polished before they were installed.

Attachment 494049

Attachment 494050

Attachment 494051
Soooo pretty.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #39
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
I went back to my bookmarks list and was surprised to find one of them appears to be no longer in business, the second one is no longer selling retail. Here's a few links that are still working:

These guys sell specifically for Harley Davidsons but might be a source for the bolts and fasteners that would be the same as our cars use.

http://www.probolt-usa.com/aluminium.html

This place looks good and not too far for you to drive to if you wanted to check them out in person:

http://www.non-ferrousfastener.com/index.php

These guys are also "local" to you. I remember going to them in the late 70's for braided stainless lines, couplers, etc.

http://www.gandjaircraft.net/index-1.html

This place is also a performance bike shop but sells titanium and aluminum fasteners, etc.

http://www.oppracing.com/category/13...ews-fasteners/

I had planned at some time in the future to go through the front of the car and see what steel bolts/washers/nuts could be replaced with performance aluminum. Specifically anything that wasn't handling stress; just holding something together, holding an assembly to something else, fender bolts, etc. Since you're already removing everything in the front it looks like, you'd be in a great position to know which pieces could be replaced.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 AM   #40
Moreno1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Soooo pretty.
Thanks RJ

Quote:
I went back to my bookmarks list and was surprised to find one of them appears to be no longer in business, the second one is no longer selling retail. Here's a few links that are still working:

These guys sell specifically for Harley Davidson's but might be a source for the bolts and fasteners that would be the same as our cars use.

http://www.probolt-usa.com/aluminium.html

This place looks good and not too far for you to drive to if you wanted to check them out in person:

http://www.non-ferrousfastener.com/index.php

These guys are also "local" to you. I remember going to them in the late 70's for braided stainless lines, couplers, etc.

http://www.gandjaircraft.net/index-1.html

This place is also a performance bike shop but sells titanium and aluminum fasteners, etc.

http://www.oppracing.com/category/13...ews-fasteners/

I had planned at some time in the future to go through the front of the car and see what steel bolts/washers/nuts could be replaced with performance aluminum. Specifically anything that wasn't handling stress; just holding something together, holding an assembly to something else, fender bolts, etc. Since you're already removing everything in the front it looks like, you'd be in a great position to know which pieces could be replaced.
Doc, I'm working on aircraft aviation 12 point bolts for the chassis/suspension components. These are primary for strength and they are super expensive!!! I will keep you posted.

Update:

Pfadt Bushing installation

This was one easy mod.

Name:  59.png
Views: 4323
Size:  301.9 KB

Simply lube the outside of each half of the bushing and install.

Name:  60.png
Views: 4295
Size:  262.6 KB

Next, lube the outside of the center pin and install.

Name:  62.png
Views: 4415
Size:  292.9 KB

No need for a lot of force. You can simply push it in with the palm of your hand.

Name:  63.png
Views: 4388
Size:  277.2 KB

I'm still working on getting caught up updating the front sub steps but I figured I'd give you a quick peek at the rear sub...... Stay Tuned!

Justin spent 15 hours cleaning the sub prior to going to the powder coater. I can imaged he got rid of a pound of just welding splatter. You'll see what mean when I post the pictures.

The anthracite gray and Pfadt orange look killer. Much better than the factory black.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 4388
Size:  95.8 KB

There is about 30 hours cleaning the HAMMERHEAD (a lot of manual hand sanding went into getting it perfectly smooth) but the finish product looks amazing! Here is another sneak peek..... Next it will get sonic cleaned followed by powder coating and back to Frank at DSS for Assembly.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 4290
Size:  103.3 KB
Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #41
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Your build is mind blowing. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I find myself strangely aroused after reading your threads.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #42
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Your build is mind blowing. I would be lying if I didn't admit that I find myself strangely aroused after reading your threads.
Lol we promise not to tell Victoria Chase.

Closed Thread