Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Legally, no. Depending on the version, the installer disc that came with the original laptop may/may not run. For example, Dell had hardware checks. Apple bootcamp is considered a new window installation, not upgrade so you must buy a full version OS.

Depending on the version, there will be some type of activation requirement or it will stop working. I won't comment on the illegal methods. People need to read the EULA, end user license agreement.

For the average person use, it would be easier/cheaper to buy an inexpensive windows laptop for logging/programming cars. Windows based laptops can be purchased for < $400.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #16
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
Legally, no. Depending on the version, the installer disc that came with the original laptop may/may not run. For example, Dell had hardware checks. Apple bootcamp is considered a new window installation, not upgrade so you must buy a full version OS.

Depending on the version, there will be some type of activation requirement or it will stop working. I won't comment on the illegal methods. People need to read the EULA, end user license agreement.

For the average person use, it would be easier/cheaper to buy an inexpensive windows laptop for logging/programming cars. Windows based laptops can be purchased for < $400.

Or he could use that disc for nothing if he owns the other laptop. Your biggest issue I see is the disc instinct drivers for the hardware that's not going to be used. Still, if it's a new copy of windows the computer will auto detect the stuff and try to install compatible drivers. If it's a virtual machine I'm pretty sure the program tells the virtual drive that's it's probably a generic device and fusion does the rest of the work.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
KINGRENZ

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss
pm me and i will tell you what to do
KINGRENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Mac OS installer disc has bootcamp win drivers for the model of apple hardware. If the hardware is old, it probably doesn't have proper signed drivers for the newer Win OS. Generic drivers don't always work with apple hardware. Apple sucks at making compatible drivers for win OS, not their primary focus. MacBook Retina didn't have hdcp compliant drivers for the built-in display, so DRM content can't play without "tweaks" in bootcamp.

If someone doesn't know or understand what we're talking about, they should err on the side of caution and buy a cheap turkey day special $300 laptop or less. We fix a lot of user created problems when a helpful friend tries to show a non-computer person how to "tweak" systems. That friend wasn't so helpful in the end.

Something goes wrong with the system while flashing a tune and it'll be hard to get "community based" help from the message boards quickly. My best advice for the non-computer person is to stick to K.I.S.S., an old industry term. (Keep it simple s-----). Check with software makers for OS/hardware compatibility, too.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:01 AM   #19
timg

Drives: 2013 CTS-V Sedan, Stealth Blue M6
You can use VMWare Fusion or Parallels Desktop to clone the image from an existing Windows computer and run it as a virtual machine. This will not cost you anything other than the VMWare or Parallels license.

My preferred way is as mentioned above, via Boot Camp. You need to buy a new copy of Windows, but this is much more robust and you won't be stuck with all of the junk from that old Windows installation.

Note that I have Boot Camp and VMWare Fusion, but only tune in Boot Camp. It is too easy to have problems when running in a virtual machine.

Tim
1995 Monte Carlo Z34 (325 whp 350 ft-lb)
timg is offline   Reply With Quote