Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 GTO, 1973 Camaro
Do you have 2010 Camaro Mod Newbie Questions? Step inside

I always come across many people that are interested in modifying their Camaro or have basic questions about what they should do or what the parts they are looking at actually do.

They always end the convo with sorry for the newbie questions, or bare with me I am new at this.

This thread is for you guys.

In my opionion there is no stupid questions. There is no one out their that knows everything, and by asking questions you learn alot.

If there are people out their that may be embarassed about posting a question on the forums please feel free to PM me or email me directly anthony@************.com and I will be more than happy to try and answer your questions.

There are a ton of tech savy Camaro members on this forum and I feel this forum is an amazing tool for 2010 and future Camaro owners and enthusiasts.
MoranoRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Thanks Anthony... But my question is, where were you about three months ago!? Lol! I'm gonna have to "tag" your name, you might be hearing from me time to time. See, I've asked the hubby to come into the garage and work on my car with me, but he says it's not his thing...and as little as I do know about cars, I know MORE than he does! Thanks for the offer!

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin1LT View Post
Thanks Anthony... But my question is, where were you about three months ago!? Lol! I'm gonna have to "tag" your name, you might be hearing from me time to time. See, I've asked the hubby to come into the garage and work on my car with me, but he says it's not his thing...and as little as I do know about cars, I know MORE than he does! Thanks for the offer!
lol wow I think that is a first, a wife is encouraging her husband to work on a car together. Thats great to see. If you need anything please let me know.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
here's a few quick questions, i think. lol

With long tube headers and a catback exhaust, what, if any, are the advantages of removing the catalytic converter for performance? Is it enough to warrant getting rid of it? would you recommend a hi-flow cat instead of no cat? what are the estimate performance differences between those two?

These might be more intermediate questions than noob questions.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
here's a few quick questions, i think. lol

With long tube headers and a catback exhaust, what, if any, are the advantages of removing the catalytic converter for performance? Is it enough to warrant getting rid of it? would you recommend a hi-flow cat instead of no cat? what are the estimate performance differences between those two?

These might be more intermediate questions than noob questions.
I would always recommend to get high flow cats when getting headers. The only advantage in my opinion of going without cats is that they are cheaper in terms of cost. Without cats you will have emissions trouble as well.

Performance wise, no cats may give you 1-3 horsepower more if your lucky. Cats is the way to go. It will make your car fun cleaner and perform just as well.

Weather you get ARH, Kooks, SLP etc all of the high flow cats they use are well made and perform great.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
^great, thanks for the fast response. I'm thinking BBK Long tubes.

edit: there's shop that's recommending PaceSetter Long Tubes, but i'm not sure the gains on those.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Pumpkin1LT

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ************ View Post
lol wow I think that is a first, a wife is encouraging her husband to work on a car together. Thats great to see. If you need anything please let me know.
I have to drag my BF's hubby over to my garage with an enticement of beer...but he doesn't have a Cam...his is a Shelby GT500... But he's alot of help. Personally, I encourage women to get under their cars/hoods and learn more about their vehicles.

A happy wife is one in the garage getting dirty under her 2010 Camaro!
Pumpkin1LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
brtaus

Drives: None
Underdrive pulley, worth it?
brtaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Wanted to thank you, you've posted in my thread before and helped me clarify a couple of things. I'll be sure to contact you if I have any questions =D You were very helpful
Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtaus View Post
Underdrive pulley, worth it?
If you don't mind the work an underdrive pulley is well worth it. Car rev's up quicker and frees up some needed horsepower. The underdrive pulley is one of the top bolt ons to do.

Its just a bit of a pain to get to and install. Alot of people wait till they change the cam but its def worth it.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
Wanted to thank you, you've posted in my thread before and helped me clarify a couple of things. I'll be sure to contact you if I have any questions =D You were very helpful
No problem. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
Archangel

Drives: 1999 GMC Sierra Z71
I got one about strokers, I understand the larger cid and a longer stroke. I know this is stupid to some when it comes to mods, but how much more fuel will a stoker consume, if any more? I know thats broad but lets just say a 383 stroker or an ls3 bored out to 408. I would like to pull out as much horsepower and torque without killing the gas milage.

If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
harmonicator
Super Lead Plexi

Drives: "Elvira" 2010 Blk Camaro 3SS/RS LS3
Will high-flow cats pass emissions in CA, or is the smog station automatically obliged to turn you in if the see the OEM cats have been removed? In others words is passing emissions all that matters, regardless of what has been done to the car?

You may not know, but perhaps CA peeps can chime in.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #14
MoranoRacing
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
I got one about strokers, I understand the larger cid and a longer stroke. I know this is stupid to some when it comes to mods, but how much more fuel will a stoker consume, if any more? I know thats broad but lets just say a 383 stroker or an ls3 bored out to 408. I would like to pull out as much horsepower and torque without killing the gas milage.
The best answer I can give you is as long as the car is tuned properly and isn't running rich you should still get good gas mileage. There is still a 6spd attached to the engine weather it be a stroker motor or not.

For example an LS3 gets just as good if not better gas mileage than an LS1 engine. The LS1 is 350 cubic inches while the LS3 is bigger at 376 cubic inches. It really comes down to how well the engine is built and what is done to it. You should still see good fuel mileage.