Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
jdrop01

Drives: 05 GTO
Yea, I'm trying not to let it get to me. I provide them a picture of the sensor that's right above the starter and it seems to be leaking right out of there. I cleaned the entire area after I received my car back with brake cleaner then drove it to work and back about a hour and found this at the sensor.

Yesterday they said they added dye to the oil and found nothing.... I asked the guy to check the sensor and he just repeated they can't doing anything until it leaks with the dye... IDK how they can't see in the picture that it's leaking right there but I'll wait until next week.
jdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
jdrop01

Well they had to replace the oil pan gasket and also the cooler gasket but when I left the dealership my steering was all misaligned, had to hold the steering wheel at 1 o'clock position in order to go straight....... So, instead of taking her back home I had to bust a U-turn and return the vehicle and they had to put me back into a rental. A lot of time wasted driving there and back over a hour and a half due to traffic. Patience is running thin as this will be the 3rd time the car has been returned within 10 days.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 AM   #17
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrop01 View Post
Well they had to replace the oil pan gasket and also the cooler gasket but when I left the dealership my steering was all misaligned, had to hold the steering wheel at 1 o'clock position in order to go straight....... So, instead of taking her back home I had to bust a U-turn and return the vehicle and they had to put me back into a rental. A lot of time wasted driving there and back over a hour and a half due to traffic. Patience is running thin as this will be the 3rd time the car has been returned within 10 days.
so they didn't change the seal on the sensor? start talking lemon law they'll start working harder.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #18
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
What's with the steering? They must have hit something hard. Better have a close look at the front wheels and tires.

When this is over, look for another dealer. They're not all like this. I suffered for years with a bad one, went to independent mechanics, and then finally found a GM dealer with a real service department. Not surprisingly, many of the customers are tradesmen who don't have time for BS when it comes to their trucks.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:34 PM   #19
jdrop01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
What's with the steering? They must have hit something hard. Better have a close look at the front wheels and tires.

When this is over, look for another dealer. They're not all like this. I suffered for years with a bad one, went to independent mechanics, and then finally found a GM dealer with a real service department. Not surprisingly, many of the customers are tradesmen who don't have time for BS when it comes to their trucks.
Idk what's with the steering or why it was so off. Do they have to do disconnect something on the steering when replacing the oil pan gasket? I've heard they needed to drop the whole sub frame to do this job. I did do a inspection of the vehicle before leaving and saw nothing as far as marks or damage. I went around the car twice. Yea, they didn't even touch the sensor and to me in the picture it clearly shows oil coming right out of it and fresh oil because I cleaned that entire area. Idk I definitely feel if I have to bring it back a third time for the oil leak I am going to start talking lemon law.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #20
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
ive been fighting this problem since i got the car, but have been out of warranty so never fixed.
Too expensive to troubleshoot when involves dropping subframe
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #21
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Quote:
Idk what's with the steering or why it was so off. Do they have to do disconnect something on the steering when replacing the oil pan gasket? I've heard they needed to drop the whole sub frame to do this job. I did do a inspection of the vehicle before leaving and saw nothing as far as marks or damage. I went around the car twice. Yea, they didn't even touch the sensor and to me in the picture it clearly shows oil coming right out of it and fresh oil because I cleaned that entire area. Idk I definitely feel if I have to bring it back a third time for the oil leak I am going to start talking lemon law.
To change the pan gasket, they have to drop the entire front rack. A front end alignment is needed during the repair process and likely was not performed on your car.

Dye in the crankcase is the proper way to diagnose oil leaks. This should have been done the first time you came in with the complaint. You can easily check to see if the dye is coming out of the sensor using a 3 dollar black light. You can buy one at any pet store or Walmart.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #22
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
To change the pan gasket, they have to drop the entire front rack. A front end alignment is needed during the repair process and likely was not performed on your car.

Dye in the crankcase is the proper way to diagnose oil leaks. This should have been done the first time you came in with the complaint. You can easily check to see if the dye is coming out of the sensor using a 3 dollar black light. You can buy one at any pet store or Walmart.
Does your repair order show an alignment being performed? I'd be be frrikin , if they didn't complete the work needed. Hope things work out for you!
Old 09-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #23
jdrop01

No my repair bill shows no alignment done only front toe adjusted back to oem spec...... But I been driving the car two days and put it on Jack stands and guess what...... Leaking oil....

First picture is the damn sensor I've been telling them about since the beginning. I'm beyond mad and frustrated as this is the third damn time. No alignment done at all and having it done by a Porsche racing team come Monday and the fact it's leaking again is ridiculous. I should just fix it myself and file a complaint. Suggestions?

Every time I receive the car back I clean the entire area with brake cleaner until it runs clear. I did this two times this week and the pictures are the result every time. It to me is coming right out of that sensor at the bottom....
Old 09-12-2015, 02:41 AM   #24
jdrop01

Came home tonight after work and jacked up the car and right underneath the sensor it is wet again. Decided to tackle this job tomorrow and take the sensor down the road to the auto store and get a replacement o-ring. Pretty easy job as it just requires the starter to be removed. Fed up with the dealer and will just do it myself. Glad my career background has been engine/aircraft maintenance!
Old 09-12-2015, 09:00 AM   #25
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
Hi jdrop01. I understand your frustration with this type of leak.

I just had this exact same leak occur with my 2015 Chevy SS sedan with a LS3 engine. My former 2010 Camaro SS had leaks from the oil pan gasket but nothing from that area.

My 2015 Chevy SS with only 220 miles on it was leaking from the same sensor (Crankshaft Position Sensor). The sensor was replaced and it looked dry for a couple hundred miles but then it leaked again.

When they pulled the sensor the second time they inspected the sensor opening and found a very small variation in the size of the opening where the o-ring seats on the engine. The "solution" was to clean it thoroughly and use some GMS (GM Sealant) around the sensor/o-ring. So far, there's no more oil leaking from the sensor. One other Chevy SS owner also had the same leak occur and hand a similar solution to the leak.

Here's the thread on the ssforums.com site I started for my leak.

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/warran...-oil-leak.html
Old 09-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #26
jdrop01

Pulled the sensor this morning and it looks like the oil was passing the o-ring as oil was at the lip of the sensor where it was leaking at the bottom of the sensor pictured here:

Thanks to shiftz33 I read the thread on the SS sedan forums and it seemed to be a common issue with the repair being add gray sealant. Ran to auto parts store and grabbed some gasket gray sealant that is resistance to high heat and oil. Put a bead of it around the sensor just pass the o-ring and bam done.

Car started fine after the removing and reinstalling the starter and now to let it cure for 24hrs. After pulling the sensor I saw no trace of oil above it and was bone dry above the sensor but it definitely was wet right under where the sensor sits. Such a easy job that I can't believe they ignored that I ask them to take a look at it.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #27
jdrop01

Let the sensor cure over the weekend as I figured the longer the better. Went to have my car aligned this morning and after getting back home about hour drive total threw her up on some stands and no leak! Amazing to know finally the leak is cured and my car handles like a dream now!
Old 09-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #28
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
Quote:
Let the sensor cure over the weekend as I figured the longer the better. Went to have my car aligned this morning and after getting back home about hour drive total threw her up on some stands and no leak! Amazing to know finally the leak is cured and my car handles like a dream now!
Congrats on the dry engine and good handling Camaro!

I've become very adept at using a mirror (on an extendable handle) and flashlight to check the crankshaft position sensor on my Chevy SS sedan.