Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #99
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
VVT from Mast, I agree. GM Performance mag did a write up last year on these guys CAM's and the different stages they make. If you want to go all out get their stage III and HEADS. You will easily be over 600HP with that.

And I thnk they know what they are doing. They sell a complete package with Maggie making 800HP on a bored L99. Sticking with their CAM and Heads on a non bored L99 you should still have about 600HP at the back wheels.

Here is a good CAM: http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...VT Cams&id=227

Or what the hell, trade you L99 in for one of these L99's http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...Drop In&id=121

It's only money and your are getting some tax money back. Now you would have 6.8 Liters and kill Chris. Plus you would have 18 month warranty on the new motor and blower.

Or just see Ted and get what I got which would be called the 850 and you keep your block!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #100
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
PQ, what are you doing for fuel? With a cam you are going to need at least a BAP and a dual pump system will never hurt.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:35 AM   #101
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
The install you can do, just try to find someone reputable to help you with proper selection, not just someone wanting to boost sales... Pun may be intended.... Just haven't figured that out yet...
lol, ya, it's really hard to trust someone will really know their stuff. People are such A-Holes. Most of the shops around here are just guys who kinda know how to do stuff, or oil and lube guys. It's pretty pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
But do the damn suspension first!
Might be a good idea. Certainly easier.

But, I still will need to know what to do when I'm ready. So I want to nail this down. I may be getting some suspension stuff anyway. install on that stuff is pretty easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klatterblast View Post
Its all very confusing but i let a good performance shop (thunder racing) pick my cam its a blower cam with a little lope and good power to redline and it is perfect for a stock converter. your headers are fine at 1 3/4 if you want more power after the cam install all you have to do is pulley down on your magnacharger . 550 rwhp is all you want or you will have to upgrade your fuel system. You dont need a huge cam with a supercharger , you can always add boost to get where you want. Alan futral in walker la. is well known for custom cams also maybe call him .
And 550ish is all I'm wanting I guess. But I DO want it. I'd like to shoot between 550 and 600. Then throw some DRs on and see what it'll do. Like I said, suspension will be done regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
VVT from Mast, I agree. GM Performance mag did a write up last year on these guys CAM's and the different stages they make. If you want to go all out get their stage III and HEADS. You will easily be over 600HP with that.

And I thnk they know what they are doing. They sell a complete package with Maggie making 800HP on a bored L99. Sticking with their CAM and Heads on a non bored L99 you should still have about 600HP at the back wheels.

Here is a good CAM: http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...VT Cams&id=227

Or what the hell, trade you L99 in for one of these L99's http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...Drop In&id=121

It's only money and your are getting some tax money back. Now you would have 6.8 Liters and kill Chris. Plus you would have 18 month warranty on the new motor and blower.
You spend my money well Scott.

But my tax money is all going to advertizing allocation. So I am still limited.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #102
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Thanks God I am done worry about this. I just left the car with Ted and said call me when its done. I don't know what to think anymore!

PQ, when I was debating this I came up with this. The LS3 conversion is more $$ to do but I believe that you can rev the motor higher, thus getting more peak hp ( which is not really useable on the street), and since you need to change more parts you can get more durable parts. So ls3 conversion = more peak hp + better parts and durability

Staying with a VVT cam will cost less and provide you with the better low end tq but less of a peak number which you don't seem to worry about. Can you tell the difference between 540 rwhp and 570 rwhp? I don't think I could.

Maybe someone with a graph can explain the difference in what the curves will be.

Has anyone with a Maggied done a blower VVT cam.

When I went with Ted's LS3 conversion and blower cam I also changed from 1 3/4" headers to 2". The rwhp went from 545 to 625. Rwtq went from 553 to around 600, maybe like 598, its late. But with the addition of that we had to drop a pulley size to regain the 2 lb.s of boost.

I hope that I did my part in adding nothing uselful and confusing you more.

Lets see how long it takes for someone who actually knows this stuff to crap on my theory!
Two great points that I had thought about in the beggining.

Reliability, and more power. Now, the low end power is actually more attractive. I am not chasing 600 or anything. Just 1320 time. But, higher end power can make up for a shitty launch. So a wash as far as I'm concerned. The reliability, which is what I started with, is still a big factor.

Quote:
PQ, what are you doing for fuel? With a cam you are going to need at least a BAP and a dual pump system will never hurt.
I will certainly be going with a BAP, but do NOT want to go further. Cost sucks. And I don't want to drop my tank.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #103
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Has anyone with a Maggied done a blower VVT cam.
Mad600SS who will be at C5 fest has a Maggie w/ the same cam as Dangeruss. Same installer too, who will also be at C5Fest

Quote:
PQ...as a good starting point, give Comp Cams a call. At the least they can give you a starting point based around your set up.

Then call every vendor on the site and get their take....compile all the research/info and make a choice.

But do the damn suspension first!
I called Mast and some others a couple weeks ago. I also had a couple of the "experts" spec out a cam exactly for my application...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130523

Agree - Wheels/Tires first...
Old 03-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #104
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
If I do the install myself, It'll be easier to not do the conversion. Plus, if I find the right cam in VVT, then the number of cam options won't matter. I can only pick one. Could be I need to find the cam and THEN make the decision?

Acutally it won't be any easier, no matter what you have to pull the heads to get rid of the AFM lifters. They ARE JUNK.

The VVT you can run a small cam and keep it or lose it and run a big cam.

VVT can Fail with larger cams and heavier valve springs so why leave that option open.

If you want performance with simplicity do the conversion.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #105
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Mad600SS who will be at C5 fest has a Maggie w/ the same cam as Dangeruss. Same installer too, who will also be at C5Fest

I called Mast and some others a couple weeks ago. I also had a couple of the "experts" spec out a cam exactly for my application...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130523

Agree - Wheels/Tires first...
Actually, I can borrow wheels and tires for the rear at the track.

Suspension first, power second, then wheels. Just rears. 18s with DRs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Acutally it won't be any easier, no matter what you have to pull the heads to get rid of the AFM lifters. They ARE JUNK.

The VVT you can run a small cam and keep it or lose it and run a big cam.

VVT can Fail with larger cams and heavier valve springs so why leave that option open.

If you want performance with simplicity do the conversion.

Ted.
This is how I've felt about it. I was a little shocked when I realized so many had kept it. And then read the claims of benefit. I'll be after the reliability chiefly. I'm still leaning conversion.

Oh, and Ted, I'm sending my tuner to Doc in Jacksonville and he's gonna put my tune on it so I can send it to you to add a tranny tune to.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #106
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

Borrow... are you kidding me, what knucklehead would let you borrow 18's and drag radials... wow... oh wait, you wont be spinning them so no loss of tread anyway... I kid, I kid...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #107
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

This is how I've felt about it. I was a little shocked when I realized so many had kept it. And then read the claims of benefit. I'll be after the reliability chiefly. I'm still leaning conversion.

Oh, and Ted, I'm sending my tuner to Doc in Jacksonville and he's gonna put my tune on it so I can send it to you to add a tranny tune to.
Don't listen to Robert... LOL We will have plenty of tires floating around for sure... especially for the Team L99 captain..

The way I approached this one last month was... If I'm pulling heads, then I'm definitely adding LS7 lifters and I should never have to mess w/ it again. But in your case you don't need a huge cam so could get away with not pulling heads and going w/ a blower friendly VVT cam like a lot of folks are doing.

To pull the heads or not to pull... that's the question..
Old 03-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #108
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Pull the heads! All the cool kids are doing it.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #109
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'm cool and I didn't do it!
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #110
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Don't listen to Robert... LOL We will have plenty of tires floating around for sure... especially for the Team L99 captain..

I was yanking his chain, I have already offered to let him make a pass with mine to see the difference...

It's a community reaching out thing, kind of like helping old ladies across the street... Team LS-3 stepping up...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #111
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
PQ, just do the conversion....you know deep inside you really want an LS3
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #112
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Borrow... are you kidding me, what knucklehead would let you borrow 18's and drag radials... wow... oh wait, you wont be spinning them so no loss of tread anyway... I kid, I kid...

Quote:
The way I approached this one last month was... If I'm pulling heads, then I'm definitely adding LS7 lifters and I should never have to mess w/ it again. But in your case you don't need a huge cam so could get away with not pulling heads and going w/ a blower friendly VVT cam like a lot of folks are doing.

To pull the heads or not to pull... that's the question..
Yup. I do want to beef up where I can. Just not pistons or the crank. It'd be nice, but cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<PQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I'm cool and I didn't do it!

Quote:
I was yanking his chain, I have already offered to let him make a pass with mine to see the difference...

It's a community reaching out thing, kind of like helping old ladies across the street... Team LS-3 stepping up...
Sportsmanship.

That's what it's all about.

Quote:
PQ, just do the conversion....you know deep inside you really want an LS3

In fact, I will leave L99 on my hood.