Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruck View Post
So much wrong in this thread I don't know where to start. So I will keep it simple.

If you care about your cars paint, don't use a commercial car wash, it will be destroyed with swirls after a few uses. Turtle wax and armor all are crap products.

There is no time frame on when you should and should not wax. If water begins to not bead as it once did, then it is time for a wax.
Exactly. I hand wash when it needs it (no car wash) and wax when the beads lessen (I'm guessing maybe 4 times a year).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
car? who actually has a car?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
my car is outside 365, though I cover it for 3-4 months during the winter. I do a full detail in april and november. I put down a sealant then apply wax over it about once a month. I usually use Meguiars #26 yellow wax. easy on, easy off. occasionally hit it after a wash and dry with some Griot's spray wax. wash once a week unless it gets real dirty. Two bucket wash. separate bucket for Wheels and wells. dry with absorber on flat horizontal spots using blotting technique then rinsing it afterwards, followed with a Rag Co dry me a river waffle weave to get the left over spots. metro dry the rest of the car.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #18
gofast908z

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Once a year...
With what wax? There are few that truly last even 3+ months on a driver.
gofast908z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #19
gofast908z

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
So much wrong in this thread I don't know where to start. So I will keep it simple.

If you care about your cars paint, don't use a commercial car wash, it will be destroyed with swirls after a few uses. Turtle wax and armor all are crap products.

There is no time frame on when you should and should not wax. If water begins to not bead as it once did, then it is time for a wax.
gofast908z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #20
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast908z View Post
With what wax? There are few that truly last even 3+ months on a driver.
Mine makes it out of the garage twice a week. Indiana weather sucks!
Old 07-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #21
Desert Stealth

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1 Convertible Automatic
Wax builds up. My process is a complete detail twice a year (wash/clay bar/machine 2 step polish/brilliant glaze/americana wax - all from adams). Then wash as needed and brilliant glaze once a month (or more for fun). Car is garaged but it is a daily driver.

Marcus
Desert Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Stealth View Post
Wax builds up. My process is a complete detail twice a year (wash/clay bar/machine 2 step polish/brilliant glaze/americana wax - all from adams). Then wash as needed and brilliant glaze once a month (or more for fun). Car is garaged but it is a daily driver.

Marcus
Wasting product and probably getting less out of it by applying so much. The company itself says less is more when it comes to their wax.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #23
L&M CAMARO 6

Drives: Just a fan for now
Quote:

TRUE and true, don't use cra& products.
L&M CAMARO 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #24
anthony.

Drives: summit white 2lt RS
Quote:
Wasting product and probably getting less out of it by applying so much. The company itself says less is more when it comes to their wax.
He stated he waxes twice a year. In no way is that indicate he's wasting or applying so much. He states he uses a glaze as much as once a month. Being a detailer myself I try to stay away from glazing as its nothing but a makeup. If a customer wants it done fine, but I explain that it won't last long. Using a glaze once a month is in no way overuse, I'm sure you probably misread his post.

Anways, Ive been trying out sealants and rarely do I top with waxes. Waxing is becoming outdated by sealants. Look up. Some sealants and give them a try. Some of them have a long curing time, and require serious protection that only a garage can ensure during the curing time.

Welcome to the wonderful world of detailing!
anthony. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #25
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony. View Post
He stated he waxes twice a year. In no way is that indicate he's wasting or applying so much. He states he uses a glaze as much as once a month. Being a detailer myself I try to stay away from glazing as its nothing but a makeup. If a customer wants it done fine, but I explain that it won't last long. Using a glaze once a month is in no way overuse, I'm sure you probably misread his post.

Anways, Ive been trying out sealants and rarely do I top with waxes. Waxing is becoming outdated by sealants. Look up. Some sealants and give them a try. Some of them have a long curing time, and require serious protection that only a garage can ensure during the curing time.

Welcome to the wonderful world of detailing!
Which ones are you talking about? That doesn't sound correct at all.

I think you're displaying a misunderstanding of 'curing'
Old 07-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #26
giant_g2

Drives: '13 1LE, '89 Caprice
I do 2-3 coats once or twice a year with Zaino. I get in all the nooks and crannies like the painted area when you open up the trunk. Does anybody wax under the car? I want to, but I live in an apartment so I don't always have the opportunity to wax it when I want or spend as much time on it as I'd like.
giant_g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #27
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
i do it about 3 to 4 times a year.. mother's and gold class by meguiar's. my car is always in the garage.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #28
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
outdoor car - i clay, glaze, and wax 2-3 times a year. two light coats of Americana goes a long way. i live in So Cal and travel to AZ so the car is exposed to a lot of sun.

now i'm a woman, i save the makeup for special occasions, so if i have a hot date, i will throw a thin coat of Adam's Brilliant Glaze in between waxings, but i am aware that this is exactly like makeup good looks for a very short while.

as for commercial car washes - the one near me will hand wash for me (yes, with 2 buckets) and i bring my own products (Adam's Buttery Wax, Car Shampoo, & Super VRT) - again usually if i have a wedding or concert to go to and i want to conserve my energy for partying.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]